The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Zack MacEwen

-Vintage Canuck-

14 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

sorry these vets bring no offense  and arent that good defensively. most are horrible signs by benning  

tanev has no  offense no grit  lets players skate by him to score in overtime i could have stopped that guy in peewee 

pouliot is a tire fire

biega is a ahl  plug

guddy is gritty but has horrible advanced stats 

sutter makes 4.4 mill  for 7 points is injury prone and isnt that good

granlund is decent 

schalleris a wasted of 1.9 mill bury that horrible signing in utica 

eriksson 6 mill a yr for 3rd -4th line  defensive player in final chapter of career

same waste of 24 mill in cap 

could  pay for karlsson and a marner type  forward

id rather this lineup just need 2 right dmen 

goldy petersson boeser

baertchi horvat marner

virtanen gaudette roussel

motte beagle mcewen

leivo 

edler karlsson 

hughes 

juloevi

hutton 

marky 

demko

So a couple bad games and all of a sudden Tanev sucks and isn’t good defensively? Come on. 

Big Mac developed under the tutelage of Trent Cull.

Playing on Comet's first line prior to call up, playing centre and wing, playing both special teams, and counted on to protect the lead.

For a guy who went undrafted, to playing big mins, to getting his first call up.  Good Job Jim Benning, good job amateur scouting staff, good job Trent Cull (yes he has actually developed a prospect) and big props to Big Mac for proving media and some fans wrong. 

26 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

sorry these vets bring no offense  and arent that good defensively. most are horrible signs by benning  

tanev has no  offense no grit  lets players skate by him to score in overtime i could have stopped that guy in peewee 

pouliot is a tire fire

biega is a ahl  plug

guddy is gritty but has horrible advanced stats 

sutter makes 4.4 mill  for 7 points is injury prone and isnt that good

granlund is decent 

schalleris a wasted of 1.9 mill bury that horrible signing in utica 

eriksson 6 mill a yr for 3rd -4th line  defensive player in final chapter of career

same waste of 24 mill in cap 

could  pay for karlsson and a marner type  forward

id rather this lineup just need 2 right dmen 

goldy petersson boeser

baertchi horvat marner

virtanen gaudette roussel

motte beagle mcewen

leivo 

edler karlsson 

hughes 

juloevi

hutton 

marky 

demko

Jonathan Toews.

on your best day you couldn't stop him if he was dying of pneumonia. 

Zack McEwen is a real power forward. 6'4 215lbs and skates as fast as Virtanen. 

One of my favorite prospects in the system. Here's to hoping he seems some action against one of the cali teams.

14 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Big Mac developed under the tutelage of Trent Cull.

Playing on Comet's first line prior to call up, playing centre and wing, playing both special teams, and counted on to protect the lead.

For a guy who went undrafted, to playing big mins, to getting his first call up.  Good Job Jim Benning, good job amateur scouting staff, good job Trent Cull (yes he has actually developed a prospect) and big props to Big Mac for proving media and some fans wrong. 

I think the only reason why he didn't go drafted was because he for some reason played junior pretty darn late from his peers.  I remember seeing highlights from his junior days and man can he skate. He's also got really good puck skills and overall solid offensive upside

I'm hoping Zack slides into the top 6 after a few practices.  He's got the skating and the finishing to justify it.  Putting him on the Sutter line isn't going to bring the best out in him.  If he can forecheck, do puck retrieval, ride shotgun and be a shooting option for either Bo or Pettersson that would be optimal.  Whatever happens, he's more than earned this shot, so hopefully it's a real one.  This is what slow-cooked player development looks like and hopefully he's here for good.  

1 hour ago, aliboy said:

Green was letting Goldy have it on the bench so perhaps he's had enough or it's due to Baer's situation.

Really?  That was your take?

I saw it as a quintessential coaching moment -  Goldy had held on to the puck for one steamboat too long, to make a perfect pass.  I read Green as teling him " You have a great shot, it's OK to use it from time to time"

5 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Zack McEwen is a real power forward. 6'4 215lbs and skates as fast as Virtanen. 

One of my favorite prospects in the system. Here's to hoping he seems some action against one of the cali teams.

JV is one of the fastest skaters in the league once he gets going... is Mcewen actually as fast as JV? If so, I'm excited.

56 minutes ago, Pears said:

Leivo’s been on fire so I’d keep him with Pettersson and Boeser. Playing with Horvat and MacEwen would be good for Goldobin. 

Goldobin doesn't seem to fit with Horvat's direct north-south style of game.

I'd put MacEwen and Virtanen on Horvat's wings and let them go to work.

Goldobin wants to play more East West zig zag and hold onto the puck.

Probably best with EP40 and Brock Boeser for him.

Horvat is not a play maker. He plays like Kesler in that he is a power forward at center who doesn't use his wingers all that well, and he also likes to shoot first himself.

I wouldn't be surprised if Zack doesn't get into the lineup over the next week or so.. Green tends to do this with young guys. All I ask is for Brisebois to get in for Pouliot or Guddy.... I have no idea how Travis watches those 2 nightly and keeps them in.

7 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Although he had company, he was terrible last night.  Again. He just cannot seem (or is unwilling) to fully up his game to where it has to be.  It's not a matter of skill but determination, and time is running out.

I thought Goldy competed on the defensive side of the puck as hard as I have ever watched him play. 

I'm not saying he was terribly effective at it.... but I thought the try was more obvious.

I remember seeing Zack live fot  the first time the same day I saw Gaudette and Petey live for the first time as well. It was the summer prospects game at the Rog in the summer of 2017.

Those 3 were the best players on the ice. No kidding. Zack was big fast and tenacious. Very very noticeable. 

Really pleased to see him up with the big club now.  He's gonna be an impact NHL er in his career IMO!!

1 hour ago, stawns said:

There are the odd fight, most of which is in the heat of the moment now.  To be more succinct, the enforcer is gone now.

Forget fights. How many Canucks games have actual body checks?

Goals from Big Mac would be nice but, as long as he plays a strong 2-way game and causes turnovers on the forecheck, wining board battles and throwing his weight around, Green will absolutely love him.

Archived