Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Trade] Kings trade Nate Thompson, 2019 5th-round pick to Canadiens for 2019 4th-round pick

What did they get in return a 7th or 6th? Weise and Thompson Hmm getting some grit.

Edited by chilliwiggins

11 minutes ago, Western Red said:

Another nice move be Bergevin, NT is a player.

Wow! Never thought I'd read something like this a year or two ago.... Things sure have changed in MTL.

• Thanks 1

Julien made it clear last week that he wanted a better 4th line.  

I like the moves MTL is making. They know they are not a tier 1 team this year. So they are not selling the farm for rentals. They are getting some good depth and hoping to win a round or two. 

I mean anything could happen but they are not delusional. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, zduck14 said:

Wow! Never thought I'd read something like this a year or two ago.... Things sure have changed in MTL.

Bergevin definitely saved his career!

• Hydration 1

Serious retooling of the 4th line going on. Agostino lost to waivers.  Weise called up, Thompson coming in.  Have to think this spells the end of Chaput in Montreal.  They need to put someone else on waivers to make room 

Bummer for him, I always really liked Chaput.

Old, slow guy but is good on the pk and on the draw. Won't give you any offense and probably isn't gonna last another 3 years in the NHL. 

Still, a bargain deal for the Habs to improve their 4th line. 

What really blew my mind was that Nate Thompson had to waive an NTC. Shocked he had one.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Old, slow guy but is good on the pk and on the draw. Won't give you any offense and probably isn't gonna last another 3 years in the NHL. 

Still, a bargain deal for the Habs to improve their 4th line. 

He’s only signed through this season. So his long term performance isn’t much of a concern.  And they gave up practically nothing to get him 

Nice to see others saying this is a pretty savy move by the Canadiens when i opened the thread. 

Cheap center depth. Not costing them anything significant for the future. 

Montreal has lost 3 players to waivers so far this season.  I could potentially see them losing another 2 once they put a player on waivers to fit in Thompson. Plus Byron will be back from IR soon so they’ll have to put someone else on waivers (barring a trade). Two of Chaput/Hudon/Peca/Deslaurier could find themselves in new uniforms soon

Edited by qwijibo

They really only move down a few spots (Arizona 5th for Calgary 4th), so it's a cheap deal to gain a player.

2 hours ago, kacholu said:

I like the moves MTL is making. They know they are not a tier 1 team this year. So they are not selling the farm for rentals. They are getting some good depth and hoping to win a round or two. 

I mean anything could happen but they are not delusional. 

Yeah sorta.

They are not ground breaking.  Just depth.