The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] huberdeau available

The_Rocket

10 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm sorry, but I find it amusing that people here aren't even willing to part with our 2019 1st rd pick in a potential deal. Assuming we wouldn't be dealing any of our big 4 (Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes), we would likely have to cough up our 1st rd picks in both this year's draft and next year's draft (unprotected), a solid young roster player (Virtanen), and one of our best prospects (Madden/Juolevi) to even pique their interest.

tl;dr: It's not happening.

It is winter. 

78DB60E8-0595-47E9-9B65-9F365D325CD4.gif

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm sort of half-joking on Guddy being the principle back to FLA on a deal. Tallon might still be very high on him. I'm not in the Guddy hate camp tho, I like what he brings. 

yeah - value wise it could make sense if he were the principal - but if we're also peeling off Virtanen+ or our 1st round pick+ this year.....hard pass.    That's just...

I'd be far more inclined to try to land a player like Vesalainen from Wpg - who are rich at the position - and before a player breaks out and costs a king's ransom.

As it stands, where LW (not exactly the rarest of assets) are concerned I'd rather use our own picks and retain our assets - not strip mine for a skilled LW.

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Duchene deal was clearly a bad trade for the Sens.  Regardless of that, Cap dumps lower value.  Tallon is trying to create cap room, so He know he has to attach cap dumps to an attractive asset, like Huberdeau.  

But not to the extent some are suggesting.

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yeah - value wise it could make sense if he were the principal - but if we're also peeling off Virtanen+ or our 1st round pick+ this year.....hard pass.    That's just...

I'd be far more inclined to try to land a player like Vesalainen from Wpg - who are rich at the position - and before a player breaks out and costs a king's ransom.

As it stands, where LW (not exactly the rarest of assets) are concerned I'd rather use our own picks and retain our assets - not strip mine for a skilled LW.

yeah thats "....." for sure. The Canucks aren't really in a position to have to do anything, so the idea of Jim overpaying like that isn't going to happen. 

The only d that I can see being moved at all would be Guddy. Not that I think its likely, just most possible. Edler and Tanev are going nowhere, Hutty and Stecher are taking good strides and are cheap for a while yet, Pouliot is... Pouliot. Guddy's the only one who we could conceivably lose for a decent return but we'd feel the loss if we make the playoffs.

I wonder what WPG would want from us for that deal? I don't know what they really need. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

for me its more about the price. If Florida is in the mood to make another mistake in our favour then great. But maybe we could get Silfverberg for cheaper who might be more of a fit for EP like you describe. 

Last I checked Dale was back in down and he ain't senile yet. He will wrangle top return.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah thats "....." for sure. The Canucks aren't really in a position to have to do anything, so the idea of Jim overpaying like that isn't going to happen. 

The only d that I can see being moved at all would be Guddy. Not that I think its likely, just most possible. Edler and Tanev are going nowhere, Hutty and Stecher are taking good strides and are cheap for a while yet, Pouliot is... Pouliot. Guddy's the only one who we could conceivably lose for a decent return but we'd feel the loss if we make the playoffs.

I wonder what WPG would want from us for that deal? I don't know what they really need. 

Hutton is UFA in 1 year and has arbitration rights.  He has all the leverage.  Juolevi is not much further in his development with his injuries and Hughes is unproven at the NHL level.  

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think Tanev could be the next most likely to be dealt, but maybe not before the deadline...if this team hangs in the race.....

And if we were dealing Tanev, I'd want a young RHD as a principal - ideally near or NHL ready (ie Tampa has the assets....)

As far as Wpg is concerned, they'd seem to have room to improve on their left side.....if we were either able to rent Edler, or perhaps pump and move Hutton, maybe those are possibilities.   As well as Hutton has rebounded, it remains that the franchise is looking to re-sign Edler, and has a couple top 10 LHD picks on the way....

You know who else is available out of Florida?

Brassard. 

Just got dumped by Pittsburgh - and Tallon has made it seemingly clear that he has no intention of retaining him - intends to walk away from these expiring contracts and use the freed up space in free agency.

If this team is looking for a much, much cheaper option - a small market team like Florida may welcome the opportunity to rid themselves of his salary down the stretch? 

Hard to say whether their view in targetting a Panarin and/or Bob would be to next year given they're a fair margin behind better teams for this year's playoff race....so if that's in fact the case and they're walking away from Brassard, he could be a good/real bargain pickup at this point, particularly with Baertschi being an uncertainty.

10 minutes ago, mll said:

Hutton is UFA in 1 year and has arbitration rights.  He has all the leverage.  Juolevi is not much further in his development with his injuries and Hughes is unproven at the NHL level.  

hmm... I think thats a pretty optimistic way of looking at it for him. Yes he's played better recently, but not that for the entire year. He's not a candidate to hold out, and he's not going to get much of an upgrade from an arbitrator imo. What's his agent going to use to argue a big increase? what comparable does he have for a big raise? He's still on pace for under 30 pts, his possession numbers are down, but his ice time is up. 

1 hour ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Get real. Would you trade Boeser for Puljujarvi and Khaira?

Do you not understand they are trying to create cap space not take on cap? I didn't say that trade would be enough for Huberdeau. I just pointed out they are not looking to trade for a player with a huge cap hit.

2 hours ago, 40Dangles said:

They've been wanting Guddy back, but we are not in a position to give up first round picks (even if he's only 25)

Gudbranson

Virtanen (hate to do it but you have to give to get), and if Mcewen can play that role and go balls out to sign Ferland....well you've made up for it

should be appealing to them

If that's all it will take to get Huberdeau... take it and run.  

Gudbranson.... addition by subtraction.  Grit is good... but the whole adage that you want tough guys who are able to play the game... and Gudbranson seems more of a liability at time.  If he wasn't a high draft pick and acquired with a handsome package, he would already be buried in the minors or cast off.  

Virtanen.... he's supposed to be a power forward, but he doesn't play like one all the time.  He's supposed to be gritty... but only sparingly.  So far, he's pretty much playing like a speedier Steve Bernier.  Most power forwards (Bertuzzi being the often quoted exception) make it as one around the age of 24 or younger.... so while Virtanen does have a few years.... it still troubling that after a few years being a full-time NHLer, he is still at the "getting it" stage.  

12 minutes ago, oldnews said:

As far as Wpg is concerned, they'd seem to have room to improve on their left side.....if we were either able to rent Edler, or perhaps pump and move Hutton, maybe those are possibilities.   As well as Hutton has rebounded, it remains that the franchise is looking to re-sign Edler, and has a couple top 10 LHD picks on the way....

that would make sense to me. 

5 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Do you not understand they are trying to create cap space not take on cap space? I didn't say that trade would be enough for Huberdeau. I just pointed out they are not looking to trade for a player with a huge cap hit.

Doesn't matter what you are trying to say, it's incredibly inaccurate to think they would trade him for anyone that isn't elite unless it includes 2 1st round picks.

2 hours ago, mll said:

I guess we will see how it plays out. Sounds like a tactic to me to either have them throw the bank at him to try to get him to stay or basically say trade me because I'm definitely not coming back.

If a team that he wants to go to acquires him and give him a contract that he's happy with, wouldn't that simply accomplish his goal of hitting UFA anyway? I can't imagine Florida would be dangling Huberdeau to any team for hopes of a guy maybe signing with them.

Archived