The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] huberdeau available

The_Rocket

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So a goalie prospect, an overpaid bottom pairing defenseman, a forward that puts up roughly a half PPG and is a massive defensive liability, and either a 1st rd pick in next years draft when we're likely to be a playoff team OR our 3rd rd pick from this last draft (wh'o' stock has admittedly risen) for a young, PPG top line forward?

I'm sorry, but FLA laughs and hangs up on Benning.

thats funny, I see that as an over payment :lol: 

Huberdeau imho is a #2LW who can pop up to top line from time to time and top unit PP. I'm basing that on the fact that he's #42 in points/60. Thats why FLA is willing to move on him, his salary is closer to a 1LW so if they can move him and get an elite LW they're happy to do it. 

For the Canucks, I could see something built around Guddy, and some prospect depth like a Madden or Dahlen, and some cap dumps back our way IF - and its a big IF - they have a deal in place with CBJ and have to get a team to take on players to make space. 

5 hours ago, mll said:

Luongo will not retire - he wants to win a Cup.  He'll be their backup or they'll put him on LTIR.  

If he wants to win a Cup he isn't gonna do it in Florida.  They would need to trade him to Tampa or the NY Islanders or even Calgary.  Tampa would be perfect for him as he can stay in Florida and he can back up Vasilevskiy.  Florida would have to retain 50% of his salary though, but if they pull if off he might play out his contract and we wouldn't have to worry about his cap hit...

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If he wants to win a Cup he isn't gonna do it in Florida.  They would need to trade him to Tampa or the NY Islanders or even Calgary.  Tampa would be perfect for him as he can stay in Florida and he can back up Vasilevskiy.  Florida would have to retain 50% of his salary though, but if they pull if off he might play out his contract and we wouldn't have to worry about his cap hit...

if they added Bob's and Panarin I wouldn't count them out. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if they added Bob's and Panarin I wouldn't count them out. 

Yeah Lou has accomplished everything expect the elusive Stanley Cup.  The only way he finishes that contract where he earns a paltry $1 million in his last year is if he has a legit shot at a Cup.  Tampa can give him that shot and he can remain in Florida with his family.  I am hoping it does happen, more for Louie's sake than anything as I really want him to win the Cup.

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Huberdeau imho is a #2LW who can pop up to top line from time to time and top unit PP. I'm basing that on the fact that he's #42 in points/60. Thats why FLA is willing to move on him, his salary is closer to a 1LW so if they can move him and get an elite LW they're happy to do it. 

For the Canucks, I could see something built around Guddy, and some prospect depth like a Madden or Dahlen, and some cap dumps back our way IF - and its a big IF - they have a deal in place with CBJ and have to get a team to take on players to make space. 

That trade's pretty close to market value.  That being said, I'd rather just keep the pieces we do have and developing them.  While it's a fair price, it's not one we're in a position to pay with the current state of the franchise.  I especially don't want to give up on DiPietro after his performance at the WJHC.  He seems to be able to elevate his game when put under pressure, which is a valuable skill to have for goalies in this market.  I love both our goaltending prospects, but I'm higher on Mikey than on Demko.

Stay the course and develop our own prospects.

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

30-year-old power forward traded for arguably the best goalie in the league in his prime. The trade wasn't even close to fair. He played 7 games for Florida.

Seguin was 20/21 and already had a 29 goal season under his belt. The trade for Eriksson regardless of Seguin being a locker room cancer was awful. A young stud for an aging winger coming off his worst season to date. 

I thought the Eriksson trade wasn’t terrible. Eriksson had some solid years in Boston and Reilly Smith was/isn’t no slouch. Morrow was supposed to be a solid top 4 guy just hasn’t panned out as much. Compare the years of Eriksson (defensive side too not just points) + the addition of Smith for a 50 point season. Not terrible. Both no longer with Boston but the years they were there they were definitely serviceable fowards in the top 6. 

15 minutes ago, Nigerian said:

I thought the Eriksson trade wasn’t terrible. Eriksson had some solid years in Boston and Reilly Smith was/isn’t no slouch. Morrow was supposed to be a solid top 4 guy just hasn’t panned out as much. Compare the years of Eriksson (defensive side too not just points) + the addition of Smith for a 50 point season. Not terrible. Both no longer with Boston but the years they were there they were definitely serviceable fowards in the top 6. 

What's crazy to me is that, at this point in time, the Leafs actually won the Kessel trade.  Boston left empty-handed while Kapanen is looking like he'll be a solid NHLer.

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Hindsight opinions. At the point of each trade, with everything considered, they weren't nearly as lopsided as you're implying. 

This is all being done to justify the hilariously lowball offers being thrown around here. The funny thing is, outside of our top 3 forwards, who are all untouchable, we don't even have anybody equivalent to Eriksson or Bertuzzi when they were traded. Not even close. 

edit: Maybeeeee Edler, if he weren't on an expiring contract with a no-trade clause and hadn't been injured.

Luongo in his prime was worth far more than Bertuzzi. There was no one going oh no we lost Bertuzzi when the trade happened. It was oh my god I can't believe we just got Luongo. 

Florida does not want to take on cap they want to get rid of cap space. They will want young players and prospects unless they land the guys they want which are Panarin and Bobrovsky. Personally, I believe it will cost Virtanen, Gaudette and Demko.

Huberdeau is having a really good season. He's young, productive, and on a pretty affordable contract for what he brings.  I'm sure he's gonna draw quite a bit of interest from multiple teams and that could create a bidding war.   Huberdeau will NOT be had for a bargain deal.

Some of these nonsense trade offers for scraps need to stop.  Lets all assume that Dale Tallon is testing the waters on Huberdeau because he actually wants to get maximum value for his player, not just because he's bored and wants to make a trade on his XBox.  Gudbranson and Goldobin....good grief.

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what you think about Huberdeau is unimportant. Fact is a bunch of other GMs will easily pony up 1st + highend prospect + plus to trade for Huberdeau. And what's your proposal? Gudbranson (#4 dman), Dahlen (average prospect). Now that's just funny. 

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

hmm... I think thats a pretty optimistic way of looking at it for him. Yes he's played better recently, but not that for the entire year. He's not a candidate to hold out, and he's not going to get much of an upgrade from an arbitrator imo. What's his agent going to use to argue a big increase? what comparable does he have for a big raise? He's still on pace for under 30 pts, his possession numbers are down, but his ice time is up. 

Going to arbitration ensures that it will be a one year deal at the end of which he will be a UFA and can test free agency.   

6 hours ago, Drakrami said:

what you think about Huberdeau is unimportant. Fact is a bunch of other GMs will easily pony up 1st + highend prospect + plus to trade for Huberdeau. And what's your proposal? Gudbranson (#4 dman), Dahlen (average prospect). Now that's just funny. 

You speak of top 4 d-men as if they aren't hot commodities around the league. Not to mention the lowball of Dahlen's potential. I don't think they'd want Dahlen back though. They very likely want someone like Jake Virtanen. A bit more of a certain commodity as it's clear he's NHL level talent right now and still has that top 6 potential imo. And those GMs rushing to throw their 1st rounders away are likely cup favorites with garbage 1st rounders. Our 1st rounders would very likely be in the early teens.

18 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Would be an amazing pickup. Im not sure exactly what it would take but its intriguing because hes a lw and we're so shallow at that position. 

Maybe a 1st 2nd and b prospect like madden or lockwood?

Erik Gudbranson + Sven baercheese + 3rd lol - let's go boys! They love them some Guddy let's make them pay Guddy !

26 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Erik Gudbranson + Sven baercheese + 3rd lol - let's go boys! They love them some Guddy let's make them pay Guddy !

Huberdeau for the rights to Panarin + Bobrovsky is the reason he is on the trade board.

12 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Is he # 42 for left wingers though?  Doubt it, he’s probably in the top 20, which puts him squarely in as a top line L winger.  I’d agree Panarin is better (at least for now), but Huberdeau is no slouch either and is producing as well as Boeser is (who also feasts on the PP), does that make him a 2nd line winger?  First line wingers make 7-9 at the moment so he comes in at a cheap cap hit too.   He’d be a great compliment for either top line, problem is it would cost a Horvat or Boeser on a straight over swap.  Not very appealling.  The Gudbranson/Goldobin/JV posts are wishful thinking.  Maybe they’d take picks in which case Benning would consider that too (as would 30 other GMs) if they are confident they can win the Panarin sweepstakes then maybe they will go there and throw ridiculous money out come UFA season either by trading away Huber early and hoping to re-sign or by throwing away huge money once it’s open season.

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Is he # 42 for left wingers though?  Doubt it, he’s probably in the top 20, which puts him squarely in as a top line L winger.  I’d agree Panarin is better (at least for now), but Huberdeau is no slouch either and is producing as well as Boeser is (who also feasts on the PP), does that make him a 2nd line winger?  First line wingers make 7-9 at the moment so he comes in at a cheap cap hit too.   He’d be a great compliment for either top line, problem is it would cost a Horvat or Boeser on a straight over swap.  Not very appealling.  The Gudbranson/Goldobin/JV posts are wishful thinking.  Maybe they’d take picks in which case Benning would consider that too (as would 30 other GMs) if they are confident they can win the Panarin sweepstakes then maybe they will go there and throw ridiculous money out come UFA season either by trading away Huber early and hoping to re-sign or by throwing away huge money once it’s open season.

Seravelli wonders if Florida might not use Huberdeau to get the rights to Panarin and Bobrovsky.   He is not available to the other teams.

One of the worst-kept secrets in hockey has been the Florida Panthers’ burning desire to land both Sergei Bobrovsky and Artemi Panarin in a package deal.

A little fuel was added to that fire last week when Panarin fired his agent and hired Paul Theofanous, who represents Bobrovsky.

But the question has been: What could the Panthers offer to pull off this blockbuster?

Panthers forward Jonathan Huberdeau could potentially be a part of that puzzle, which is why he is the latest member to join the TSN Trade Bait board at No. 20.

GM Jarmo Kekalainen and the Blue Jackets are in search of a package that allows Columbus to remain in the playoff race while also adding future assets. The belief is that it would certainly take more than a package surrounding Derick Brassard and other expiring contracts.

The key to a return like Huberdeau from the Columbus perspective may well be allowing a potential suitor like Florida permission to negotiate with Theofanous.

My prediction...

To FLA: Panarin + Bobrovsky (+ conditional picks if both/either not re-signed)

To CBJ: Huberdeau + Reimer

It makes all kind of sense for both sides. Dadynov and Panarin are good friends, who used to play together. Panarin purchased a $700K condo in Florida last year. Miami/Sunrise has a thriving Russian community, which makes it not only attractive for Panarin and Bob, but also makes adding them a positive business move to attract fans. The Panthers trading for them by the deadline gives them a huge advantage, as they not only can negotiate exclusively, but they could then offer both 8-year deals. Huberdeau and Reimer make a combined $9.3M, and they will shed over $8.4M when Brassard, Sheahan, and McGinn are traded or walk as UFAs. So they can probably add both (and give a raise to Vatrano) without making another move to clear cap space.

For Columbus, they get players back who can fill the holes, now and going forward. Huberdeau may not be Panarin, but he's a solid 1LW, and is under a team-friendly contract. Reimer is far from Bobrovsky, but will at least be a veteran back-up to Korpisalo, who Columbus will probably run with going forward. The worst thing for Columbus would be hanging onto Panarin and Bob, losing in the 1st round again, and end up with nothing for either of them.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

thats a good point - checked again and he's #8 on that list for P/60 for just LW. 

Archived