The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 11, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, 40Dangles said:

I think the season has definitely shown fans one major thing. Those that harped on Edler are seeing how valuable he is to our team, and even when he has to play the role of a number 1 when he's really a number 2. I hope we can trade and re-sign him, but if he won't waive and wants to just re-sign, who cares. He is a very big part of our team. He stabilizes a very weak d corps and we are a tire fire without the guy. Really has never got the respect he deserves, hopefully the haters are learning what he means to our team.

Absolutely. I can’t believe the lack of respect Eagle gets around here. Without him, our D is badly exposed for how poor it is.

He plays the most minutes out of anyone, and without him, Hutty and Stech are forced to play higher minutes then they are used to. They tire out and they end up making mistakes they normally wouldn’t make. Not to mention we are forced to use Pouliot way more than we should. 

I hope the haters will STFU about Eagle already. He’s awesome 

17 minutes ago, 40Dangles said:

Or much like Lucic, the league got very fast and mobile over the course of a one season. Guddy can still play but is better suited to a team that crashes and bangs, has a hard backcheck/backpressure that limits time and space for players to dangle. Think Nashville, SJ, LA (of the past), Boston etc. Moreover, come playoff time, when time and space decrease for everyone as teams go full out both ways, and refs let more go, he becomes very valuable. We need to move him to a contender in need of a stay at home guy who can focus on playing hard down low and as a #5 or 6. He doesn't 'fit' our team needs as our defense is so weak it exposes his weaknesses and he can't play to his strengths.

Those are the teams that would stay away from Gudbranson.  The Penguins showed up the Sharks because of how quick and mobile their Ds were - SJS never got the puck.  Nashville had lost to the Sharks earlier and that's why they moved Weber.  They felt they were spending more time hemmed in their end defending instead of playing in the o-zone.  MacLellan and Rutherford before him credit having offensive Ds as a key reason on why they won.  

5 minutes ago, mll said:

Those are the teams that would stay away from Gudbranson.  The Penguins showed up the Sharks because of how quick and mobile their Ds were - SJS never got the puck.  Nashville had lost to the Sharks earlier and that's why they moved Weber.  They felt they were spending more time hemmed in their end defending instead of playing in the o-zone.  MacLellan and Rutherford before him credit having offensive Ds as a key reason on why they won.  

You need one guy to be that guy, i am not saying he's to be playing top 4 minutes, but as a 5/6 to keep guys honest and make them tough to play against will always be important in the playoffs - thinking otherwise, one hasn't watched playoff hockey.

5 minutes ago, the harry said:

First goal.

Guddy tried to follow the puck instead playing his man. Common, with your big body and your stone hands you have the play the man.

Someone should tell him that because he's doing that much too often.

Hutton was second behind the net, none of the 3 forwards in front of the net remotely covered Meier, that goal is not on Gudbranson. 

4 minutes ago, 40Dangles said:

You need one guy to be that guy, i am not saying he's to be playing top 4 minutes, but as a 5/6 to keep guys honest and make them tough to play against will always be important in the playoffs - thinking otherwise, one hasn't watched playoff hockey.

Nashville disagrees.  They've talked enough about the kind of Ds they want.  

8 minutes ago, mll said:

Nashville disagrees.  They've talked enough about the kind of Ds they want.  

Boston, LA Kings, Capitals, Penguins disagree and who's got more cups in the last decade trolling champ? You want to win this debate, you won't

Boston and LA clear and self explanatory

Capitals - Brooks Orpik

Penguins - Hainsey, Ian Cole

Pretty much every team has one that's one a cup - Nashville hasn't won a cup and Gudbrandson is better than Orpik and Hainsey

Sorry! I win you lose!

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

POSTGAME | Zack MacEwen

What a beauty. Plain and simple.

I was at the game tonight. I usually enjoy it from the comfort of my own couch, but I was lucky enough to come across a free pair of tickets for tonights game.

EP was EP. Clearly light years ahead of the rest of the roster. But somewhat surprisingly, MacEwen had the best Canuck debut of any Canuck in recent memory beside Brock and EP.

From what I saw, MacEwen is a very well rounded hockey player and I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't see another AHL game.

I've been following Comets Cory on Twitter and he's MacEwen's # 1 supporter. Tonight's performance makes me believe. I'm officially in the big fella's fan club. Schaller and Granlund better take notice!

31 minutes ago, BlueDragon23 said:

That’s classy for Joe to say that. Respect 

It's been difficult for me to respect 'Juvenile Joe' ...especially after he was spotted goofily trying to hand-taunt our valiant Canucks "C" Henrik Sedin during a Captain's meeting with a ref. This is likely just 1 of several reasons why his own 'C' was removed.

Showing a wee bit of pity off-ice ain't enough to flip me, tho. If Joe wants some long-term respect, he can start by committing himself to respecting his co-workers,...especially those of quality character who are endeavoring to play the game the 'right way'! He could strive harder to be an adult & attempt to model himself after these same future hall-of-famers that he foolishly chose to heckle.  

This game was so bad it actually damaged our brand. From the complete lack of emotional response to Dillon and Kane, to the collapse of our Dcore

to the Management level choices that led to MD being in net to the coaching that kept him in net after 4 goals. TYPICALLY if a goalie cannot be relied upon

to play he should not be on the bench no matter what you have to do. Man the look on MD's face after the second one goes in, I wish I could have whispered into his ear at that moment "yes we are actually that bad". I could give a sweet shyt about; Lievo(really low hockey IQ looks lost unless he gets a golden pass from 40),Guddy,(just here to collect pay), Granlund(Looks like a person playing with a concussion, like a really really bad concussion, only he doesn't have a concussion)

1 hour ago, The Great Canucks said:

Tell me, aside from the Flyers, how many other teams had bad luck with goalie injuries this year, regardless of if they are contenders or not?

Fine, blame it on bad luck, I don’t believe in luck, I blame it on bad decisions.

Couldnt catch the game. Saw the highlights & i feel for Dipietro. Was glad he was able to make some good saves. Not sure what they were thinking giving him this game. This defense is bad.

I think in the summer they need to hire a new president to control hockey ops. Benning is great overseeing the ameuter scouting/draft process, and he does pretty well with the media, but hes not done a good job building this team. Key moves (trades/signings) have been bad for the most part, and the strategy to improve the team (use drafts picks to try and find a quick fix) hasnt worked either. 

Need to make changes in the offseason. Guddys gotta go imo, and i dont think Goldy has alot of leash left either.

1 hour ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Absolutely. I can’t believe the lack of respect Eagle gets around here. Without him, our D is badly exposed for how poor it is.

He plays the most minutes out of anyone, and without him, Hutty and Stech are forced to play higher minutes then they are used to. They tire out and they end up making mistakes they normally wouldn’t make. Not to mention we are forced to use Pouliot way more than we should. 

I hope the haters will STFU about Eagle already. He’s awesome 

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Markstrom's first 'Nuck game vs Sharks was apocalyptic. I think his avg was like 33.00 for a number of wks, with sv % about .250%?! What was he, 24 or 25 yrs old?

Dipietro will be okay.

Rather irked they haven't given Brisebois a shot. As if our D is some fine tuned machine we need to keep rolling out. Too afraid to make bold changes, now it's being forced upon them.

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

What a beauty. Plain and simple.

I was at the game tonight. I usually enjoy it from the comfort of my own couch, but I was lucky enough to come across a free pair of tickets for tonights game.

EP was EP. Clearly light years ahead of the rest of the roster. But somewhat surprisingly, MacEwen had the best Canuck debut of any Canuck in recent memory beside Brock and EP.

From what I saw, MacEwen is a very well rounded hockey player and I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't see another AHL game.

I've been following Comets Cory on Twitter and he's MacEwen's # 1 supporter. Tonight's performance makes me believe. I'm officially in the big fella's fan club. Schaller and Granlund better take notice!

1. Hockey is a weird game. Two really good prospects (DiPietro and MacEwen) get their first NHL game tonight. One guy has a really nice night, picking up his first NHL point and the other guy has a nightmarish night. But, down the road, things will balance out. Tonight's game will be something DiPietro can laugh about over beer a few years from now, even though he must feel kind of bad right now.

2. Events sort of conspired against DiPietro. He was a surprise starter against one of the best teams in the league due to Marky's illness. And the first half of the first period was like the second period versus Calgary -- complete domination by the Sharks. And the D in front of him (or sometimes behind him, like on the first goal) was like the keystone cops. There has been back and forth on Guddy in the PGT (as usual) but he did make a bad play on the first goal on the first shot of the game. Not a "mistake" exactly but a lost puck battle and poor positioning. And then Hutton bats the puck into his own net on the second goal.

3. The Canucks got their first shot on goal after about 12 minutes, but they improved a lot after that, including a great play by EP on Horvat's goal. Once gain, credit to the Canucks for playing hard after a bad start.

4. As others have pointed out, tonight shows (again) how valuable Marky and also Edler have been for the Canucks. With the struggles the D has been having I agree with Nuxfanabroad that they should give Brisebois a shot. We all like Biega, but he has reached the point of diminishing returns and needs a rest. And bringing Brisebois in would allow Tanev to move back to the right side, where he is much more comfortable.

5. As Vic_City says, the positives tonight are EP and MacEwan. We have gotten used to EP so his great plays are not exactly a surprise anymore. But MacEwen is a positive surprise. His start is not in the same category as the starts that EP and Boeser had, but he played a solid game. He only played just under ten minutes but the Canucks outchanced San Jose 6 to 3 with him on the ice (according to Natural Stat Trick).

6. Back to EP.(sort of). I have been a bit worried that Philly's rookie goalie Carter Hart might give EP a run for the Calder. He was rookie of the month in January and almost set a record for consecutive wins by a young goalie. But he lost tonight and gave up 3 goals on 27 shots. So he seems kind of human after all, which should give the edge to EP. Actually, I like Carter Hart and wish him the best, as long as his best falls short of what EP does. And of course EP has been a strong favorite for the Calder since the first week of the season. But I am kind of focused on EP winning the Calder, so I am a bit paranoid.

This is what happens to an OHL goaltender playing with an AHL defence on an NHL team.  

I feel sorry for Mikey, he deserved better.  But at least this proves beyond any doubt that our #1 priority is to get some quality NHL defencemen on this team.  Everyone should be available for a trade other than Hughes and Woo.  Hopefully Tryamkin can come back and give us some help.  Hutton should be traded while the iron is hot and his value is still high, same with Tanev.  Edler can be re-signed but if the right offer comes at the deadline and he agrees I wouldn't be opposed to move him either.  Gudbranson has been a big disappointment lately and I love the guy so I hate to say it.  Pouliot and Biega are AHL material and won't even get us a draft pick.  I like Stecher, again if the right offer came I would trade him as well.

I would target players like Cal Foote, Dante Fabbro and maybe look at a veteran or two in free agency.  I'm not worried about the goaltending long term.  Bottom 6 forwards we have plenty of.  We still need a top 6 forward as well.  JB still has some work to do.  At this rate the playoffs may not be possible considering our current injury situation, so JB most likely will need to be a player at the trade deadline.

12 minutes ago, JustNazzy said:

Kane better be suspended...

Glad that people in his hometown are all getting a good view of how dirty this POS really is. Good thing we didn't sign this dirtbag. Winnipeg/Big Byuf gave him the send-off he deserves.

Lousy, cocky punk that chokes women in public, doesn't he?

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Huh? Yeah...that would be a brilliant move by a 19 year old rookie.  :picard:

Thank god for us Canuck fans he said he learned a lot and will continue to get better.

Not a real team guy are you??!!

It's a joke about Ken Hitchcock and the Oilers. 

Archived