The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 11, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

Didn't Mikey get shelled his last two big games previously? He lost for team Canada and the 67's in his first games for both those teams. He'll bounce back, he's young. Now he knows what bs defence Marky has to put up with on a nightly basis. 

I look forward to seeing Hughes in the future and even Juolevi next season. I'd be happy if we signed Karlsson or myhers in the offseason if we can't land Byram 

55 minutes ago, JamesB said:

1. Hockey is a weird game. Two really good prospects (DiPietro and MacEwen) get their first NHL game tonight. One guy has a really nice night, picking up his first NHL point and the other guy has a nightmarish night. But, down the road, things will balance out. Tonight's game will be something DiPietro can laugh about over beer a few years from now, even though he must feel kind of bad right now.

2. Events sort of conspired against DiPietro. He was a surprise starter against one of the best teams in the league due to Marky's illness. And the first half of the first period was like the second period versus Calgary -- complete domination by the Sharks. And the D in front of him (or sometimes behind him, like on the first goal) was like the keystone cops. There has been back and forth on Guddy in the PGT (as usual) but he did make a bad play on the first goal on the first shot of the game. Not a "mistake" exactly but a lost puck battle and poor positioning. And then Hutton bats the puck into his own net on the second goal.

3. The Canucks got their first shot on goal after about 12 minutes, but they improved a lot after that, including a great play by EP on Horvat's goal. Once gain, credit to the Canucks for playing hard after a bad start.

4. As others have pointed out, tonight shows (again) how valuable Marky and also Edler have been for the Canucks. With the struggles the D has been having I agree with Nuxfanabroad that they should give Brisebois a shot. We all like Biega, but he has reached the point of diminishing returns and needs a rest. And bringing Brisebois in would allow Tanev to move back to the right side, where he is much more comfortable.

5. As Vic_City says, the positives tonight are EP and MacEwan. We have gotten used to EP so his great plays are not exactly a surprise anymore. But MacEwen is a positive surprise. His start is not in the same category as the starts that EP and Boeser had, but he played a solid game. He only played just under ten minutes but the Canucks outchanced San Jose 6 to 3 with him on the ice (according to Natural Stat Trick).

6. Back to EP.(sort of). I have been a bit worried that Philly's rookie goalie Carter Hart might give EP a run for the Calder. He was rookie of the month in January and almost set a record for consecutive wins by a young goalie. But he lost tonight and gave up 3 goals on 27 shots. So he seems kind of human after all, which should give the edge to EP. Actually, I like Carter Hart and wish him the best, as long as his best falls short of what EP does. And of course EP has been a strong favorite for the Calder since the first week of the season. But I am kind of focused on EP winning the Calder, so I am a bit paranoid.

I like your notes. I've been trying to do the same lately. I've never been a game day discussion guy, I'd rather PVR the game and break it down at my own pace. Last game for example, my 1st note was Biega over Pouliot and it's not even close.

But there's so many different things happening at the same time. We as fans don't see nearly as much as the coaching staff.

DiPietro stood no chance tonight. 90% of that locker room needs to take a good hard look in the mirror. That was probably our worst game of the season. We didn't show up, plain and simple.

Also, the atmosphere at Rogers Arena was absolutely pathetic...

God almighty... The sky is falling... sack every one starting with management...

What a load of rubbish... its one freaking game. Get over it.

Team is playing Junior GK making his first strides towards the NHL. Should we have had another goalkeeper or kept Nilsson? Well am I the only one to recall all the calls for Demo to replace Nilsson.

For the last year, half of CDC wanted DePietro and Demko to be our tandem pairing in the next year or two... First opportunity for DiPietro and its all panic. He is too young, too inexperienced, too this and too that... He will be just fine. 

Too everyone who wants rid of Guddy... who else will stand up to the likes of Kane on this team? Didn't see kane go to town with him, when Guddy slashed him. This team is severely lacking big bodies, and got bullied by Sharks, led by Dillon, Kane, Burns... and the rest of the gutless pukes (forgotten how much I hate Couture and Pavelski)

Can't believe there is actually posters complaining about our GM... The one that drafted Pettersson??? 

On the game itself, glad Di Pietro got his NHL wings, and MacEwen has the body of an NHL player, if he he keeps improving, he will be a very welcome addition to the line up.

What was really highlighted today was, young, small players can't contain big, strong seasoned pro's.... so what else is new. 

team still need at least 1 proper top 6 forward, and at least another big mobile top 4 D-man... 

Its a rebuilding team...things take time.

4 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I like your notes. I've been trying to do the same lately. I've never been a game day discussion guy, I'd rather PVR the game and break it down at my own pace. Last game for example, my 1st note was Biega over Pouliot and it's not even close.

But there's so many different things happening at the same time. We as fans don't see nearly as much as the coaching staff.

DiPietro stood no chance tonight. 90% of that locker room needs to take a good hard look in the mirror. That was probably our worst game of the season. We didn't show up, plain and simple.

JB certainly has a keen eye for the game. Luckily we've got a fair share of posters to help me remember the details.. CDC makes most sport media redundant!

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

JB certainly has a keen eye for the game. Luckily we've got a fair share of posters to help me remember the details.. CDC makes most sport media redundant!

Yes and no. I'm still a sucker for SN650 and TSN1040. Any Canucks talk I can get is better than the altenative of Bruno Mars, the Weeknd and Taylor Swift on the radio

2 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Yes and no. I'm still a sucker for SN650 and TSN1040. Any Canucks talk I can get is better than the altenative of Bruno Mars, the Weeknd and Taylor Swift on the radio

Been listening to 650(esp postgames lately)..you're right, they're getting a better crew. The old 'tenders are pretty good insight.

2 hours ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Absolutely. I can’t believe the lack of respect Eagle gets around here. Without him, our D is badly exposed for how poor it is.

He plays the most minutes out of anyone, and without him, Hutty and Stech are forced to play higher minutes then they are used to. They tire out and they end up making mistakes they normally wouldn’t make. Not to mention we are forced to use Pouliot way more than we should. 

I hope the haters will STFU about Eagle already. He’s awesome 

Spot on Dragon...

Was a strange game to be at tonight.

Had to sober up a little before commenting.

1. WE STARTED FLAT AS CAN BE

opening play pavelski bursts through and almost rifles home a goal and they score shortly after. Controlled the puck, the pace and us real early. 

DiPietro looked very nervous in net after the first shot went in. 

When a teams back up is in net they usually play a little harder to start a game.. let alone when it’s a 19 year old rookie tender on the team for an emergency cover and wasn’t even expected to play tonight... we did not. Instead it took us what felt like an eternity to get a single shot on net.. not cool of the boys and I’m sure there were some guilty feelings on he change room after/

2. LOCAL BOYS NOT NICE

- Dillon played a hard rough game, back and Firth’s with Roussel and anychance he got to hit guys or rough someone a little extra he took it

- Kane was a POS. Notably with Stecher and Gudbranson - happily booed him 

3. STECHER 

Stood out to me. In a rough game like that he really was wheeling the puck out of our zone. The breakout on he Horvat Goal he fought to get the puck up to horvat while getting hit in the corner and that lead to the incredible rush and pass by Petey for Horvat to finish.  

4. MOTTE IS A SPARKPLUG.

love this guys heart I really do!

5. MACEWAN DEBUT IMPRESSIVE

only one bad play from him imo all night he made a bad pass that took a bad bounce in the defensive zone, it didn’t end up costing us andasides from that I really liked what I saw from him. Looks like an NHLer to me.

6. GUDDY NOT VERY GOOD AS USUAL 

Physical game and I didn’t notice Gudbranson being a physical force at all. I noticed him make sloppy reads and passes while also looking like he’s skating in quicksand 

7. BURNS HESITATION

was a very weird moment in this game where burns followed petey into the corner and he didn’t initially Bhutto hit him or lean into him hard. Looked like he hesitated and decided to take it easy on him. 

Then realized this and hit him in the back either upper back or  neck, was hard for me to see exactly. Was like his brain clicked and he was like why aren’t I hitting him?!? 

Just some one things I really noticed in a really rough game. Surprisingly still had a really fun night though!

Didn't watch this game cause I was feeling a tad ill but why would you let DiPietro's first NHL game be on home ice against San Jose? I am NOT saying he played bad. 5, maybe 6 of those goals were fluke, weird bounce goals. But with Anaheim and LA up on the schedule in a back to back situation on the road that feels like a better situation for a rookie goalie (just a friendly reminder to those that may want to roast Mikey he's still a teenager too). Some of Greener's decisions leave a lot to be desired.

18 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Didn't watch this game cause I was feeling a tad ill but why would you let DiPietro's first NHL game be on home ice against San Jose? I am NOT saying he played bad. 5, maybe 6 of those goals were fluke, weird bounce goals. But with Anaheim and LA up on the schedule in a back to back situation on the road that feels like a better situation for a rookie goalie (just a friendly reminder to those that may want to roast Mikey he's still a teenager too). Some of Greener's decisions leave a lot to be desired.

Mikey was never supposed to start. Markstrom had tightness and was unable to play. At the end of the day its on management to figure this situation out. 

From here on out, if im benning, im claiming every flyer that passes through waivers.

Every

Single 

One

Hutton - Stecher

Pouliot - Tanev

Brisebois - Gudbranson

I want to see those pairing for next game. The Tanev - Gudbranson pairing is clearly not working and Tanev looks uncomfortable playing on the left side. Despite what people think, Pouliot was actually one of the better defensemen in last night’s game and he played quite well pairing with Tanev at the beginning of the season, when Edler was out. Biega is too much of a rover out there. He needs someone like Tanev or Gudbranson to counter his agressive play.

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

God almighty... The sky is falling... sack every one starting with management...

What a load of rubbish... its one freaking game. Get over it.

Team is playing Junior GK making his first strides towards the NHL. Should we have had another goalkeeper or kept Nilsson? Well am I the only one to recall all the calls for Demo to replace Nilsson.

For the last year, half of CDC wanted DePietro and Demko to be our tandem pairing in the next year or two... First opportunity for DiPietro and its all panic. He is too young, too inexperienced, too this and too that... He will be just fine. 

Too everyone who wants rid of Guddy... who else will stand up to the likes of Kane on this team? Didn't see kane go to town with him, when Guddy slashed him. This team is severely lacking big bodies, and got bullied by Sharks, led by Dillon, Kane, Burns... and the rest of the gutless pukes (forgotten how much I hate Couture and Pavelski)

Can't believe there is actually posters complaining about our GM... The one that drafted Pettersson??? 

On the game itself, glad Di Pietro got his NHL wings, and MacEwen has the body of an NHL player, if he he keeps improving, he will be a very welcome addition to the line up.

What was really highlighted today was, young, small players can't contain big, strong seasoned pro's.... so what else is new. 

team still need at least 1 proper top 6 forward, and at least another big mobile top 4 D-man... 

Its a rebuilding team...things take time.

Guddy is needed on a squad with smaller players. In fact, we could another big bruiser/PWF type in our top 6. Hopefully not Ferland as I don't think he'll be worth what he's asking for... but maybe that's who we need when facing a strong, deep, bullying team like the sharks. Maybe Big Mac can fill that role. He played well last night. 

I think the other highlight is the team's need of a 3rd string goalie. Although I'm glad DiPietro got some NHL playtime, it's alarming that he may get thrown in the fire for an extended period should Markstrom pull his groin or get a cough.

4 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Also, the atmosphere at Rogers Arena was absolutely pathetic...

This team without the swedes is like the Pope without his hat.

Oh man.... 

That at is one good Sharks team. Every line has speed, strength, and skill. Tthe derfense defend well, pass well, and clear the front. The sharks can play fast, or heavy, or however they need to.

I’ve watched almost every Canucks game this year, and no team exposed the Canucks weaknesses like the sharks did. (The hockey gods didn’t help either. That second goal was just cruel)

Maybe, just maybe, this will be an eye opening moment. Lately the Canucks have been somewhat succeeding with sloppy half assed first periods, super hot goaltending, poor defence, and/or sad power plays. Maybe this game will point to the players to start giving a full 60 mins, to Green taking over the PP, and getting some consistent lines, to Benning getting a 3rd goalie fast, to start dumping some staleness for futures. 

Gaudette and MacEwen showed that more youth are ready. Not all at once, but let’s give more a try.

And thank you to all the fans at the game, who gave DiPietro all the positive support we could.

Go Canucks Go!

I (still) believe!

8 hours ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

It was a mistake to play Dipietro. Someone should be held responsible for this. This performance is going to be a reoccurring nightmare to him. 

He'll be fine. He knew the situation tonight and knew he wasn't going to get any relief because Marky is hurt. Was he nervous - of course he was but he battled and made some pretty good saves. This game will probably stay with him, but he'll milk this game and his time with the big club this year for all he can. He'll bounce back, and we'll see him back up here full time in a few years. 

6 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

What a beauty. Plain and simple.

I was at the game tonight. I usually enjoy it from the comfort of my own couch, but I was lucky enough to come across a free pair of tickets for tonights game.

EP was EP. Clearly light years ahead of the rest of the roster. But somewhat surprisingly, MacEwen had the best Canuck debut of any Canuck in recent memory beside Brock and EP.

From what I saw, MacEwen is a very well rounded hockey player and I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't see another AHL game.

I've been following Comets Cory on Twitter and he's MacEwen's # 1 supporter. Tonight's performance makes me believe. I'm officially in the big fella's fan club. Schaller and Granlund better take notice!

Great to hear, I missed this game which doesn't sound like a bad thing.

Was curious how the big fella would look. 

Watching last game it was clear we needed another winger. 

The balance of the lines just wasn't there with Roussel moved up to Bo's line.  I love that Roussell, Virt combo, they just need a more complete player at centre than Sutter.  I think if we get Gaudette going between those two it could be a fantastic third line over the next few years.

Hate the Sutter injury primarily because was hoping he might get traded.  

Really from this D would like to see Edler, Hutton and Stetcher back next year, that is it.  I think the time to move on Tanev is now (or last year).

Oh well, not going to happen but would like to see it.  I think it was always the plan to have Demko and OJ come up when Demko did but injuries at both levels have really screwed things up this year.

Archived