The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 11, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

I don't get it, Ray Ferraro mentioned how Leivo was best on his off wing when they acquired him. He could use his wrist shot more effectively with the type of release he favors. (off 1 leg)

It's like Jeff Tambellini, he scored so many goals that Cup run year on his off wing, with a similar style 1 leg release on his shot.

Why don't the experts see what an amateur can see?

Details matter. Side of the ice matters.

It's why  right shot d men are so coveted along with right hand centers.

Why do most Russian scoring wingers okay best on their off wing?

It's so they can cut in to the ice on their forehand ready to shoot!

Is it too obvious that he played his best hockey in junior as a right handed LW prospect on the Hitmen?

Benning needs to tell Green. I know coach controls the lineup.

But tell Travis use him like the Ducks use Corey Perry or something.

It's my biggest pet peeve.

I know I am preaching to the choir here.

Just literally seething and shaking when I see that stuff all the time..

you're preaching to the choir.  I shoot right and played left d and left w

1 hour ago, CanuckleHorse said:

I’m happy Green made the decision to rest Marky having recently played back to backs those take their toll on players and we know that the sharks would out play us no use risking injuring our #1 goalie

Green had no alternative …. but that's not where the problem lies. In December Bachman ended his season with an injury. But management had a plan "B" they had Kulbakov in Kalamazoo. Here's where it fell apart they concept of having a backup in the ECHL ...which was the initial plan was not followed through. They never replaced him when he moved up to Utica full time. They still haven't to this day. Either take care of th original intent ie ECHL goalie of they didn't. Management failed to. So they were left short when push came to shove. Sure Philly pulled a fast one, they smart and professional. Vcr had to react and they didn't, last night stems back to December. Can u imagine Manchester U fielding a 19 year old goalie. This is professional hockey the teams supposed to act in a manner to ensuring all calamities, they didn't 

1 hour ago, apollo said:

Here's some silver lining from last nights debacle... Bertuzzi praising Petey around 13 minute mark … this solidifies Bert as the greatest ever. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/sportsnets-starting-lineup/bertuzzi-dipietro-will-learn-rough-debut/ 

They should ask if Bertuzzi would want the Canucks to draft his son in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Tag Bertuzzi.

1 minute ago, Chip Kelly said:

Last I heard, his "underlying numbers" are not kind to him.

Doesn't look great on the eye test either.

It's fair In my opinion to wonder what does he really add, other than some size at this point and perceived toughness?

That's fair for you to wonder. Saying its fact that he's trash doesn't make it fact

3 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I don't get it, Ray Ferraro mentioned how Leivo was best on his off wing when they acquired him. He could use his wrist shot more effectively with the type of release he favors. (off 1 leg)

It's like Jeff Tambellini, he scored so many goals that Cup run year on his off wing, with a similar style 1 leg release on his shot.

Why don't the experts see what an amateur can see?

Details matter. Side of the ice matters.

It's why  right shot d men are so coveted along with right hand centers.

Why do most Russian scoring wingers okay best on their off wing?

It's so they can cut in to the ice on their forehand ready to shoot!

Is it too obvious that he played his best hockey in junior as a right handed LW prospect on the Hitmen?

Benning needs to tell Green. I know coach controls the lineup.

But tell Travis use him like the Ducks use Corey Perry or something.

It's my biggest pet peeve.

I know I am preaching to the choir here.

Just literally seething and shaking when I see that stuff all the time..

Not disagreeing with you but to answer your questions, I think that today, there are more left hand shots than right hand shots in the league which is why righties are coveted.  

Playing on your off side is a matter of personal preference for a player but for a coach it's more about how you like the team to play.....systems or whatever.  Russians, from the time we first saw them in 72 put their wingers on their off side so they had a better angle to shoot from in the offensive zone.  The flip side is breaking out which is easier on your natural side which I think is a style North American coaches prefer.  On D, it's easier to make and receive passes with your partner on your fore hand side among other reasons.  

Maybe they should go on a case by case basis when deciding who plays where.  Insisting on players playing on their natural side (as opposed to their preferred side) is kind of a one size fits all solution.  However, coaches coach and managers manage.  Modern management theory lets people take responsibility for their own domain and you tend to get much better results.  The way the Canucks are run, Benning provides the players and Green deploys them as he sees fit.  Maybe Benning should hire a Russian coach

3 hours ago, on the cycle said:

Screenshot_20190212-144556_Chrome.jpg

While I have issue with some areas of Guddy's game, these kinds of meme attacks are the realm of gutless. They're personal attacks that expose the person creating them for the small and sad person they truly are. 

I'm sure the geek that posted this thinks he's clever, but probably hasn't accomplished half of what Gudbranson has, as Erik is playing in the NHL, which is the pinnacle of what he set out to do. 

Could he improve parts of his game? Sure. Is he trash like you so stupidly stated he is? Nope. He's still an athlete performing on the highest stage he can, and I'm sure neither you nor the other geek who made that stupid meme could make the same claim. 

Archived