The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 11, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

Some really freaky bounces and the early lead gave sharks a lot of undeserved momentum.

The score really was so much worse than the actual game was..

The team is definitely shaken up from losing so many regulars out of the lineup. 

And they are struggling to find the right combinations and playing with each other within the system.

DiPietro's first NHL game should not result in any alarming indication on him. 

Goalies take awhile to adjust and develop. I think this game was a good experience for him.

8 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Really do not understand why the Canucks let Mike McKenna get away... that was not smart.

What were they supposed to do? They traded Nilsson for someone they thought would make it through waivers so that they could bring Demko up as Marky's backup. They couldn't stop someone from claiming him. The other alternative would have been to assign Nilsson to the AHL but I guess they weren't confident that he would make it through waivers so they decided to trade him for someone who they were more sure wouldn't get claimed.

Isn't thus the same fan base that was harping to get rid of Nilsson and saying we should go with a Markstrom and Demko tandem?   Same fanbase that said we should not give up any draft picks or more contract spots to veterans?  That we should give some kids a shot to play and see what they can do?  That we need more toughness and guys that instill fear?  That this season shouldnt be about the playoffs but more about a learning experience for the kids?

And now after a loss everyone is saying we need another veteran goalie signed to an NHL contract and we need to get rid of the one guy that other players actually fear fighting against.  

You guys sound like a kid who wants a new shiny toy and then cry about it when the sharp edges cut you.

Its a tough loss and I feel bad for the kid but losing a bad game is part of learning as much as an easy win. I can tell you this as a hockey player. I would give anything to start in the NHL even if I am thrown to the wolves. I would take from that and learn and appreciate the opportunity. And i can guarantee Depietro would play that game a million times over under those circumstances than sit it out. 

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

God almighty... The sky is falling... sack every one starting with management...

What a load of rubbish... its one freaking game. Get over it.

Team is playing Junior GK making his first strides towards the NHL. Should we have had another goalkeeper or kept Nilsson? Well am I the only one to recall all the calls for Demo to replace Nilsson.

For the last year, half of CDC wanted DePietro and Demko to be our tandem pairing in the next year or two... First opportunity for DiPietro and its all panic. He is too young, too inexperienced, too this and too that... He will be just fine. 

Too everyone who wants rid of Guddy... who else will stand up to the likes of Kane on this team? Didn't see kane go to town with him, when Guddy slashed him. This team is severely lacking big bodies, and got bullied by Sharks, led by Dillon, Kane, Burns... and the rest of the gutless pukes (forgotten how much I hate Couture and Pavelski)

Can't believe there is actually posters complaining about our GM... The one that drafted Pettersson??? 

On the game itself, glad Di Pietro got his NHL wings, and MacEwen has the body of an NHL player, if he he keeps improving, he will be a very welcome addition to the line up.

What was really highlighted today was, young, small players can't contain big, strong seasoned pro's.... so what else is new. 

team still need at least 1 proper top 6 forward, and at least another big mobile top 4 D-man... 

Its a rebuilding team...things take time.

What impresses me the most is that - for some - everything is wrong with this team after ONE bad loss, under totally adverse circumstances. People are bashing DiPietro on Instagram. I feel bad for the kid, but all things aside, it is just one game. 

2 minutes ago, DooBie604 said:

Isn't thus the same fan base that was harping to get rid of Nilsson and saying we should go with a Markstrom and Demko tandem?   Same fanbase that said we should not give up any draft picks or more contract spots to veterans?  That we should give some kids a shot to play and see what they can do?  That we need more toughness and guys that instill fear?  That this season shouldnt be about the playoffs but more about a learning experience for the kids?

And now after a loss everyone is saying we need another veteran goalie signed to an NHL contract and we need to get rid of the one guy that other players actually fear fighting against.  

You guys sound like a kid who wants a new shiny toy and then cry about it when the sharp edges cut you.

Its a tough loss and I feel bad for the kid but losing a bad game is part of learning as much as an easy win. I can tell you this as a hockey player. I would give anything to start in the NHL even if I am thrown to the wolves. I would take from that and learn and appreciate the opportunity. And i can guarantee Depietro would play that game a million times over under those circumstances than sit it out. 

+ 10..... Talk about bi-polar.... 

Same fans who wants us to play more youth... This can happen, when you play youth. 

This Sharks team are going for SC, while we are rebuilding and probably already punching above our weight.

If anything the game showed the players themselves as well as fans, that we have some distance to go yet, before we are able to contend.....If anyone thought differently.

8 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Just curios how many teams in the midst of a run for a playoff spot we’re forced to start a 19 year old inexperienced goalie because they had no other options left. Methinks there is a major fail somewhere.

Didn't the western conference champs last year go through like 4 rookie goalies last year? including chl goalies ?

9 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

So I have an ongoing bet with the wife, if the Canucks win I do the dishes, if they lose I get sympathy sex. Tonight the wife came home as the game was ending and said it was not fair with DePietro playing so I told her I’d give her 5 to 1 odds and I’m about to get lucky. I love blondes.

Smart Nuck..?

8 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Just curios how many teams in the midst of a run for a playoff spot we’re forced to start a 19 year old inexperienced goalie because they had no other options left. Methinks there is a major fail somewhere.

Didn't the western conference champs last year go through like 4 rookie goalies last year? including chl goalies ?

Just now, BrazilianCanuck said:

What impresses me the most is that - for some - everything is wrong with this team after ONE bad loss, under totally adverse circumstances. People are bashing DiPietro on Instagram. I feel bad for the kid, but all things aside, it is just one game. 

Yes exactly. And it has been like this the entire season....

The few times we've had a really bad game, the fan base goes into panic blame overdrive... 

This is a young new team. All teams have bad games... nothing new in this.

Utica's GM Ryan Johnson one week after losing McKenna to waivers talked about how important it was to find a 3rd NHL goalie quickly.  The quotes are from a month ago - 11 January when McKenna was lost to waivers on the 4th.

Right. So I assume the answer isn’t you trying to find a guy from the ECHL or an AHL guy on a PTO? Is Jim going to try and fill that void?

Yeah, absolutely. It’s obviously something we’ve discussed. We’re not able to operate too long with how we’re sitting, especially with any emergency-based type thing. We just don’t have an NHL-contracted goalie to bring in at this point. So it’s something we have to solve.

Note to the Canucks: Just because Hart is succeeding, didn't make it a good idea.

However, I'm guessing that Benning has his eye on a NCAA goalie or two. Adding another goalie under contract now would only weaken his position if that is the case. But if Markstrom isn't going to be ready tomorrow, he may have no other choice.

18 minutes ago, BrazilianCanuck said:

It’s not just one game; it’s his first game, and he’s 19.  This could certainly kill this kid’s development.  

45 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Great to hear, I missed this game which doesn't sound like a bad thing.

Was curious how the big fella would look. 

Watching last game it was clear we needed another winger. 

The balance of the lines just wasn't there with Roussel moved up to Bo's line.  I love that Roussell, Virt combo, they just need a more complete player at centre than Sutter.  I think if we get Gaudette going between those two it could be a fantastic third line over the next few years.

Hate the Sutter injury primarily because was hoping he might get traded.  

Really from this D would like to see Edler, Hutton and Stetcher back next year, that is it.  I think the time to move on Tanev is now (or last year).

Oh well, not going to happen but would like to see it.  I think it was always the plan to have Demko and OJ come up when Demko did but injuries at both levels have really screwed things up this year.

I agree moving Roose up to Bo's line killed the flow of the 3rd which has been great. I dont mind when both jake and roose play with bo. But with Sutter out they need to have Beagle and Ericksson and motte play the hard 3rd checking minutes.. But goldy cannot play any where but the top 2 lines. That and Granlund cannot be a center anymore. He had 2 great scoring opportunities last night Id like to see him traded or used differently. I see a few players on the team being uswd wrong, trying to force a side that they just don't have the want or skillset to be. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s not just one game; it’s his first game, and he’s 19.  This could certainly kill this kid’s development.  

I know. But I also think he knows which were the circumstances. It is not a game in which he was relied on to win. I think he knew what he was going into and overall, what I meant is that it is not impossible for him to rebound. Aside from that, he seemed more confident on the third (didn't watch it, but I saw the highlights). So I assume it is a good sign.

1 minute ago, BrazilianCanuck said:

I know. But I also think he knows which were the circumstances. It is not a game in which he was relied on to win. I think he knew what he was going into and overall, what I meant is that it is not impossible for him to rebound. Aside from that, he seemed more confident on the third (didn't watch it, but I saw the highlights). So I assume it is a good sign.

I think Green needs to start Dipietro next game too.  Like you say, the kid played with more confidence as the game progressed.  Start him next game.  

1 hour ago, Darth Canuck said:

Oh man.... 

That at is one good Sharks team. Every line has speed, strength, and skill. Tthe derfense defend well, pass well, and clear the front. The sharks can play fast, or heavy, or however they need to.

I’ve watched almost every Canucks game this year, and no team exposed the Canucks weaknesses like the sharks did. (The hockey gods didn’t help either. That second goal was just cruel)

Maybe, just maybe, this will be an eye opening moment. Lately the Canucks have been somewhat succeeding with sloppy half assed first periods, super hot goaltending, poor defence, and/or sad power plays. Maybe this game will point to the players to start giving a full 60 mins, to Green taking over the PP, and getting some consistent lines, to Benning getting a 3rd goalie fast, to start dumping some staleness for futures. 

Gaudette and MacEwen showed that more youth are ready. Not all at once, but let’s give more a try.

And thank you to all the fans at the game, who gave DiPietro all the positive support we could.

Go Canucks Go!

I (still) believe!

Yet, outside of the first 12 mins, the Canucks outshot and, at the very least, played a balanced game against them.  

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

:lol:

Score effects is real.

If Marky is in net, this would be a completely different discussion.  The Canucks actually played pretty well after the first 12 mins.  Outside of the obvious (the score) it wasnt a bad 2.5 periods for Van against what might be the best team in the league.

Archived