The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 11, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Just curios how many teams in the midst of a run for a playoff spot we’re forced to start a 19 year old inexperienced goalie because they had no other options left. Methinks there is a major fail somewhere.

Pretty sure Roy played a game at the same age, he seemed to do not bad.

1 minute ago, Samgagner'sface said:

People sure have a different view of where the team is after that game than they did after the Flames game. 

We got crushed in both these games.  Marky stole the first one.  EP, Bo, Boeser, Demko on our current roster.  Who else is really, on this roster, a key piece?  

8 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Same. I have no idea what happened to the guy who played in Florida. 

The problem I see with Guddy now, is that teams are just staying away from him and working around him. Now he actually has to skate and play the game like a modern defender, which isn’t going well for him...it’s frustrating to watch, but smart move by the opposing teams to take him out as a threat in the game...he’s effectively been neutered.

9 hours ago, apollo said:

There was absolutely 0 reason to trade Nilsson in the first place imo. Easy to say in hindsight though... 

At the end of the day, JB drafted Petey and I probably wouldn't have myself. So JB > Me 

But terrible move letting Nilly go for nothing. 

Regardless Jim has my support. 

Nillson trade is understandable because demko is nhl ready and you need to see what you have, what the problem was benning not doing anything after McKenna was claimed on waivers. That’s incompetence shown.

1 minute ago, Attila Umbrus said:

The problem I see with Guddy now, is that teams are just staying away from him and working around him. Now he actually has to skate and play the game like a modern defender, which isn’t going well for him...it’s frustrating to watch, but smart move by the opposing teams to take him out as a threat in the game...he’s effectively been neutered.

That’s why Guddy needs a partner who is a skating puck mover, like he had in Campbell.  Hughes is the perfect partner for Guddy.  

1 minute ago, Silky mitts said:

Nillson trade is understandable because demko is nhl ready and you need to see what you have, what the problem was benning not doing anything after McKenna was claimed on waivers. That’s incompetence shown.

They knew it - re Ryan Johnson's quotes.  The price must have been prohibitive for them to do nothing.  It's probably even higher now.

2 minutes ago, Samgagner'sface said:

People sure have a different view of where the team is after that game than they did after the Flames game. 

It's true and they probably shouldn't. Marky stole the game against the Flames and the truth is, that's something that pretty much has to happen for the Canucks to stay with any of the big teams, like Calgary, Winnipeg, San Jose or T-Bay. It's a hard working, (on most nights) dedicated team, but they just don't have the personnel to contend at this point. This is a bubble team and if I had to bet, I'd put my money on them finishing just out of the playoffs this season.

As far as last night goes, I felt bad for the kid. His teammates kind of hung him out to dry early in that game, although you also have to give the Sharks some credit....most of those goals had eyes.

One thing that worries me a bit is that a bigger goaltender might have made a couple of those saves, just by virtue of being bigger and covering more of the net. It's one of the reasons that you rarely see small goaltenders anymore. I'm not really worried about Mikey's confidence. By all accounts he has a short memory, so he should be fine.

It's just too bad his team picked last night to lay an egg...

7 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

I guess, but Philly picking up a guy they don't really need wasn't all that predictable. 

The price for another backup is probably really high right now, do you really want to lose a mid-round pick e.g., over 1 game? 

1 hour ago, Darth Canuck said:

Oh man.... 

That at is one good Sharks team. Every line has speed, strength, and skill. Tthe derfense defend well, pass well, and clear the front. The sharks can play fast, or heavy, or however they need to.

I’ve watched almost every Canucks game this year, and no team exposed the Canucks weaknesses like the sharks did. (The hockey gods didn’t help either. That second goal was just cruel)

Maybe, just maybe, this will be an eye opening moment. Lately the Canucks have been somewhat succeeding with sloppy half assed first periods, super hot goaltending, poor defence, and/or sad power plays. Maybe this game will point to the players to start giving a full 60 mins, to Green taking over the PP, and getting some consistent lines, to Benning getting a 3rd goalie fast, to start dumping some staleness for futures. 

Gaudette and MacEwen showed that more youth are ready. Not all at once, but let’s give more a try.

And thank you to all the fans at the game, who gave DiPietro all the positive support we could.

Go Canucks Go!

I (still) believe!

Nice post Darth Canuck. Lots of good points but the one about the "60 minutes" is one they really need to work on going forward. Too much not skating hard, not finishing checks and not out battling your opponent for the puck. This is the style that the Sedins brought us when we had a team full of talent. The team must understand that the team is built differently and "Hard Work" has to be brought every night.

The Sharks showed how "a well balanced team" can play in any type of situation that they encounter and is what I hope this team will look like in the near future.

Much more work needs to be done to the line up but our young core guys need to learn this "work ethic" going forward.

6 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

I like your notes. I've been trying to do the same lately. I've never been a game day discussion guy, I'd rather PVR the game and break it down at my own pace. Last game for example, my 1st note was Biega over Pouliot and it's not even close.

But there's so many different things happening at the same time. We as fans don't see nearly as much as the coaching staff.

DiPietro stood no chance tonight. 90% of that locker room needs to take a good hard look in the mirror. That was probably our worst game of the season. We didn't show up, plain and simple.

Also, the atmosphere at Rogers Arena was absolutely pathetic...

In the post game interviews the guys were disgusted with themselves. I thought Stetcher and Jake were actually going to cry! But I was happy to see them take the loss that hard. What would have bothered me is in the past if we lost badly like this the Sedins and the rest of the team would say “it was a bad game, we can’t focus on it, we have to move onto the next one” it drove me nuts the last few years how they would just take the whooping and move on...I’d rather see my team sad and pissed they lost so badly, it shows more passion...at least that’s my take.

If SanJose was down 3-0 in the first 8 minutes of the game good chance they don’t recover either. 

Its a big adjustment for the Canucks going from the security of Markstrom stopping everything to a goalie who can’t make a save. Everyone has more confidence when you know your goalie is there to bail you out. I feel bad for the kid but I don’t blame the team , they still have to play hockey, take chances, join the rush , not babysit.

Results like this are to be expected every now and then with a rebuilding team.

At some point more than just one rookie has to play per year and they do take some time getting used to the NHL and when they do that can happen. But it is necessary for a rebuild.

Besides after the first period weren't most watching when the kids got out there?

San Jose was classy and eased up a little bit Anaheim will not

8 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Results like this are to be expected every now and then with a rebuilding team.

Yes, games like this happen with a rebuilding team. But it should'nt be the game where you start a 19y old goalie for the first time. That's the point.

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That’s why Guddy needs a partner who is a skating puck mover, like he had in Campbell.  Hughes is the perfect partner for Guddy.  

I can see the logic in that, it may work. Get Guddy focused on his strengths again instead of having to skate and chase, let Hughes do that for him, kinda like a rover..Could work!

22 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's true and they probably shouldn't. Marky stole the game against the Flames and the truth is, that's something that pretty much has to happen for the Canucks to stay with any of the big teams, like Calgary, Winnipeg, San Jose or T-Bay. It's a hard working, (on most nights) dedicated team, but they just don't have the personnel to contend at this point. This is a bubble team and if I had to bet, I'd put my money on them finishing just out of the playoffs this season.

As far as last night goes, I felt bad for the kid. His teammates kind of hung him out to dry early in that game, although you also have to give the Sharks some credit....most of those goals had eyes.

One thing that worries me a bit is that a bigger goaltender might have made a couple of those saves, just by virtue of being bigger and covering more of the net. It's one of the reasons that you rarely see small goaltenders anymore. I'm not really worried about Mikey's confidence. By all accounts he has a short memory, so he should be fine.

It's just too bad his team picked last night to lay an egg...

If his memory is as long as the average CDC'er, he will have forgotten all about it by now...

30 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

It was a gamble to avoid giving up a pick for a goalie or using up a roster spot to sign one.  It backfired, but it's not incompetence.

Archived