The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 11, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It's time for Schenn. 

Agree Phil. Even if it’s to replace biega. Love the bulldog attitude ... but the guy can’t cut it. What’s most frustrating is watching the EP line being paired with biega on the blue line. You know once the puck gets on his stick the play dies. It’s amazing that ep racks up points with basically 0 offensive support from his back end. 

1 minute ago, on the cycle said:

omg no. I don't get how Jim is soo good at evaluating amateur talent but soo terrible when it comes to pro evaluation, especially with defencemen.

I've been saying Gudbranson is terrible since we traded for him. I got attacked for saying it and now everyone has realized how bad he is.

I defended Guddy for the last two years and insisted that we need to keep him for his toughness. 

The league has moved on so much that he doesn't have a spot in today's NHL anymore.  

I'm sure that the playoffs would suit him better, but he might even be too much of a liability there.  

Now to all those thinking that Quinn Hughes will be our saviour:  d-men take a year or two longer to mature into NHL players, so don't expect too much too soon.  Also Quinn is not a stay at home defenseman.  Yes, he'll make some nicer zone exits but tonight it was painfully evident that we need NHL d-men that have the speed and strength to move NHL forwards off the puck.  

"I knew once he got off the ice. Luckily you guys didn't ask me who was starting for once... that was nice." - Green on knowing about Markstrom's injury

"Yes. But I didn't feel comfortable putting him in. I was not going to put him in if I didn't have to." - Green on if Markstrom was available 

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

Steve Mason is a UFA as is Pavelec and Lehtonen. 3 G who albeit aren't good anymore but all could have been suitable FA signings after we lost McKenna on waivers 5 weeks ago

It doesn't make sense to pick up a guy with an expensive pricetag and a longterm contract.

All the Canucks need is an AHL goalie who can spell Marky.

Really do not understand why the Canucks let Mike McKenna get away... that was not smart.

29 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Oh yeah... the Sharks are a REALLY good team... they had a slow start to the season, but right now they are rolling.

I would not be surprised to see them win the Division... and challenge for the Conference.  In fact would not be surprised to see them in the final again.  The fact is, Eriksson has not been playing up to his potential... and if he gets going for the playoffs, then the Sharks will be a force to be reckoned with.

Thornton says Eriksson Karlsson had a slow start production wise but it was on them and not on him.  He explained that their team was just not prepared for what he could do and had to first realise that he can make those kind of high end plays.

He had 7 points in his 1st 18 games up to mid-November and 36 points in the following 29 games before his injury.  

13 minutes ago, Darius said:

been trying hard to support Guddy..  I think at this point Luke schenn  would provide at least as much in terms of actual defensive hockey and probably more snarl in the d zone. 

I tried to give him a pass for his size and toughness but I can’t do it anymore.

He seems absolutely lost in the defensive zone 90% of the time and gets contstantly burned by speedy forwards. 

And when he’s paired with Pouliot... Ugh an absolute nightmare!

I can’t wait until we are rid of these two

5 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

When asked by Murph if they did anything different knowing there is a rookie Jr goalie, he said no and didn't try to make a big deal out of it. He said it was a tough position for him to be in, and said more than once that he felt bad for the kid, but they needed the 2 pts. 

Gotta love Jumbo. Would be nice if they finally won the Cup this year after being close for so long.

Kind of the Washington Capitals of the west.

4 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"It was a weird day. I tripped and slammed my head off the counter.  Obviously we had two young guys play their first game, and we had the defense completely empty their bowls in front of him. I wish I could say that we only had a few unlucky bounces to start the game, but I'd be lying. It was unfortunate for Mike that we asked him to start the game, but I thought he hung in there to be hung out to dry." - Green

6 minutes ago, on the cycle said:

omg no. I don't get how Jim is soo good at evaluating amateur talent but soo terrible when it comes to pro evaluation, especially with defencemen.

I've been saying Gudbranson is terrible since we traded for him. I got attacked for saying it and now everyone has realized how bad he is.

True this. How about that trade for Clendenning? Ugh. 

"I don't feel bad at all for putting him in the net. He's here, he's the backup. I didn't have another choice. I don't think the kid is upset he played, I think he's pretty excited he played. I thought Mike looked good in the time I saw him on the ice. I didn't have another option. Marky came in, had a strain. I felt like if we played him tonight it would turn into a larger injury that I didn't want it to turn into. And, he's the backup. So we had to play Mike." - Green on starting DiPietro

4 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

It doesn't make sense to pick up a guy with an expensive pricetag and a longterm contract.

All the Canucks need is an AHL goalie who can spell Marky.

Really do not understand why the Canucks let Mike McKenna get away... that was not smart.

Canucks have Leighton on a PTO in Utica.  They could have signed him to a league minimum 2-way deal.  Once Demko is back healthy they can return him to the AHL.  

4 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Huh? Yeah...that would be a brilliant move by a 19 year old rookie.  :picard:

Thank god for us Canuck fans he said he learned a lot and will continue to get better.

Not a real team guy are you??!!

Clearly you don’t follow hockey nor do you have a sense of humour 

let me explain it you .... it’s a variation of what Hitchcock said about the Oilers after their last game 

Now back to your sulking 

4 minutes ago, apollo said:

Really like his attitude. No matter what he says though, it'll be in his head. Hopefully it motivates him more :)

Guddy could have easily gone after him to fight after he slashed him... Looked like Kane was down for it. Guddy just walked off lol 

Gudbranson is a mean guy that has fallen in love and has lost his mean streak. I've seen this happen a lot in men. Sadly his mean streak is what makes him a good dman... And without it, I don't think he's very effective. 

Perhaps a change of scenery can revive his game. Or maybe gf/wife troubles will anger him? 

Really good guy... Extremely good looking... Loved that he stood up on occasion for his teammates over his tenure here (fight vs Haley was amazing)... But I just don't see how he benefits this team long term. 

It was obvious Kane was not going to fight... he knew the Sharks were getting a man advantage.  He had already shown he wouldn't fight Jake.

All chasing Kane would do is get Guddy was another penalty for roughing... that's why he didn't chase Kane.

Re. Guddy losing his mean... I don't think so... he showed it all game in Calgary.

Archived