Sign in to follow this  
kingofsurrey

[Discussion] Canucks at the Trade Deadline

Take a major swing at Huberdeau. Try and see if they are down for 2020 1st since Benning seems to really want to keep all the 2019 picks, Vancouver draft and all. Not many 25 year old PPG players on the block. He's one of the only trade block players we should be going in heavy on. Even if it costs us a Dahlen, a Lind, or a Juolevi. He fits the age bracket of our team, he helps fill a position of need being LW and he's a good-great scorer. Slap him alongside Petey or Bo. It's a wrap. Our top 6 becomes much better.

Jonathan Huberdeau - Bo Horvat - [First Name Last Name]

Josh Levio - Elias Pettersson - Brock Boeser

Looks damn fine to me and it's a top 6 we can keep around a looooooong time. Something like Gudbranson, one of Virtanen/Goldy/Gaudette, 2020 1st rounder for Huberdeau. Obviously a few pieces here and there to even it out better but the foundation could look something like this. All this is predicated on whether or not they still see something in Guddy as a top 4 guy AND whether they'd be okay with next year's 1st since Benning and likely ownership want to keep our 1st rounder this year for the hometown draft.

If you want good returns then everyone has to be on the block apart from EP, Bo, Brock and Hughes. If it normally takes around 3 seaons for a good draft pick to show up on the team then we still have time to keep accumulating picks so they can work with those 4 players mentioned.

Edited by mll

Cross fingers that Brandon Sutter is not injured long-term and then trade him for whatever you can get. Gaunce can fill his role. 

• Like 2

To the highest bidder:

Tanev

Sutter

Add ins or to get more draft picks:

Goldobin

Pulliot

Schaller

Gagner

Cross your fingers and pray:

Eriksson, (retain retain retain)

our replacements coming in

Gaunce

Gaudette

MacEwen

Sautner

--maybe's Joulevi or Boucher and one big UFA

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Sutter

Gudbranson

Baertschi

Erickson

Goldobin

Pulliot

Schaller

Tanev

Trading away injured players is 95% impossible.  Can be done, but who would be that stupid?

At the deadline, I would trade Sutter ,easily replaced by Gaudette. Get rid of Pouliot, if they could get something for him great, if not on waivers. If someone claims him,too bad. If not,then to Utica. I would offer Edler an insentive to waive his no trade with the understanding he would be resigned in the summer. I think it’s time to unload Tanev too. He value is dropping like a turd from a tall cow. Gudbranson I would hold on to until the summer, there is at least the perception of toughness that the team might need for the rest of the year. If they can get something for Goldobin then good bye. Don’t know if anything can be done with Erickson, but I would try. Granlund too, if you can get anything for him. Obviously you can’t get rid of all of them at once, but 2or 3 would be a start.

11 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Sutter

Gudbranson

Baertschi

Erickson

Goldobin

Pulliot

Schaller

Tanev

I wish we could trade all of those guys, except maybe Gudbranson. He still brings physicality (has size) and is a right-shot D. Could be good with Juolevi? 

5 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Take a major swing at Huberdeau. Try and see if they are down for 2020 1st since Benning seems to really want to keep all the 2019 picks, Vancouver draft and all. Not many 25 year old PPG players on the block. He's one of the only trade block players we should be going in heavy on. Even if it costs us a Dahlen, a Lind, or a Juolevi. He fits the age bracket of our team, he helps fill a position of need being LW and he's a good-great scorer. Slap him alongside Petey or Bo. It's a wrap. Our top 6 becomes much better.

Jonathan Huberdeau - Bo Horvat - [First Name Last Name]

Josh Levio - Elias Pettersson - Brock Boeser

Looks damn fine to me and it's a top 6 we can keep around a looooooong time. Something like Gudbranson, one of Virtanen/Goldy/Gaudette, 2020 1st rounder for Huberdeau. Obviously a few pieces here and there to even it out better but the foundation could look something like this. All this is predicated on whether or not they still see something in Guddy as a top 4 guy AND whether they'd be okay with next year's 1st since Benning and likely ownership want to keep our 1st rounder this year for the hometown draft.

I'd do it for Goldie, Guddy and 2020 1st (hope no prospects are involved).  If we trade for Hubie early enough we could be contending really soon (esp. if we can rejig the bottom pair D-men and Demko proves he's ready to be a steady backup) and that 1st could be late 1st round, and while Goldie has potential and Guddy has sentimental value, Hubie's the real thing (who knows if Goldie would become the guy he's touted to become?  I'd strap him to Elias and Brock and see his value rise).  The other wing can be Leivo since he does well in a plug-and-play top-6 guy.

Hubie - Bo - Leivo

Sven - Elias - Brock
Roussel - Gaudette - Eriksson/ Jake

11 hours ago, mll said:

Wild would be more than happy to hand Pateryn over - he has not been good and is signed for another 2 years.  He has all of 3 assists in 55 games - his shot is of no use.  Brad Hunt is an adventure defensively - there is a reason the Predators barely played him.

Curious, you'd take Pouliot over either of these guys and a pick?  My reasoning was to trade from a left-side surplus to bolster the right (or Bortuzzo straight up, with Guddy heading out the door)

Edited by Phil_314

I really don't think Baertschi will be returning to the Canucks. My guess is he'll miss the remainder of the season and then have the off season to think about his future in hockey and his health/family. Yes, I know Crosby came back after bad concussions. Doesn't mean every player does.

38 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I really don't think Baertschi will be returning to the Canucks. My guess is he'll miss the remainder of the season and then have the off season to think about his future in hockey and his health/family. Yes, I know Crosby came back after bad concussions. Doesn't mean every player does.

I too could see Baertschi shutting things down this year and next if the symptoms persist.  A fellow I know had a couple of concussions within a few months of one another several years ago and he's only now starting to be able to get out.  It'll really be too bad for Baertschi if the symptoms don't allow him to come back.

From the Canucks standpoint, Baertschi could have been a good trade chip as he's a solid complimentary player for a contender to acquire.  Ultimately, Baertschi's health is more important though, and he could still come back healthy during the term of his contract.

In terms of this trade deadline, I think the Canucks will probably stand pat with the roster (for the most part) or will be minor sellers.  Not expecting anything major (at least not until the summer) such as a deal for Tanev.  I have a hard time seeing them as buyers except for relatively lateral moves.  I'm thinking they'll try to shop Granlund, Gagner, possibly Schaller and maybe even a roster D (e.g. Pouliot) to contenders that are seeking depth.  I would be surprised if they try to deal Sutter (if they even can given his injury) but that possibility will increase in the summer.  My guess is they're still kicking the tires on Burakovsky and seeking 2019 and 2020 picks but not much else.

I do hope they are looking at signing a UFA goalie though.  Not sure how long either Demko or Markstrom will be out but it's not fair to Dipietro even if the organization believes that he will be an NHL goalie in the future.

I would love to get Huberdeau.

Huberdeau - Pettersson - Boeser

Leivo - Horvat - MacEwen

Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen

Motte - Beagle - Eriksson

Goldobin

Goodbye - Sutter, Granlund, Schaller, Gagner (and possibly Baertschi)

the recent injuries make it questionable whether we make the post season now.. so I'd be willing to hear offers..

but just because we don't want a player doesn't mean we can move them anywhere (besides utica).. nobody wants pouliot or Schaller.. or Eriksson without giving something up.. or Sven because of his concussions..

might find someone to bite on Goldy or guddy.. questionable return.. 

only guys with any real trade value imo are Sutter and Tanev.. they both have reasonable contracts, but come with a history of injuries, and Sutter hasn't had the best year.

Tanev I'd rather keep for D stability..

Sutter could go since we have Gaudette coming up the pipeline

that's my 2 bits

1 minute ago, Glug Datt said:

the recent injuries make it questionable whether we make the post season now.. so I'd be willing to hear offers..

but just because we don't want a player doesn't mean we can move them anywhere (besides utica).. nobody wants pouliot or Schaller.. or Eriksson without giving something up.. or Sven because of his concussions..

might find someone to bite on Goldy or guddy.. questionable return.. 

only guys with any real trade value imo are Sutter and Tanev.. they both have reasonable contracts, but come with a history of injuries, and Sutter hasn't had the best year.

Tanev I'd rather keep for D stability..

Sutter could go since we have Gaudette coming up the pipeline

that's my 2 bits

Who wants a broken 3rd line center though? The market before this latest injury was crickets, allegedly. Can't be any better today.

• Like 1

Just now, RonMexico said:

Who wants a broken 3rd line center though? The market before this latest injury was crickets, allegedly. Can't be any better today.

exactly my point

3 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Sutter has one more year, after this one, one his contract.  If he’s healthy, we will get a second round pick from a top team at the 2020 TDL for Sutter.  

• Upvote 1

Only an f'n idiot would trade Guddy off a still butter soft team... unless we get Tryamkin back or someone like him, i'm amazed how people stop thinking and start talking. We added some grit but not enough and then some say trade someone as big as Guddy is stupidity beyond belief.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Only an f'n idiot would trade Guddy off a still butter soft team... unless we get Tryamkin back or someone like him, i'm amazed how people stop thinking and start talking. We added some grit but not enough and then some say trade someone as big as Guddy is stupidity beyond belief.

We’re discussing trading Sutter, not Guddy.  We need Guddy.  He’s as tough as they come, and can actually play.  He’s a rare commodity.  Sutter, IMO, will have his highest value at the 2020 TDL, because that’s the final year of his contract. 

Sven hurt, nobody trades

Edler hurt, Benning can still pull the trigger

Tanev, remarkably heathy this year, could be dealt with a good return.

Sutter, injured so out of the running, hard contract to move, but doable.

Schaller, would help him

Granlund/Motte either could be a help to a team.

Markstrom, market hot for him right now, how close is Demko?

Eriksson...….