The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Canucks at the Trade Deadline

OK - time to start thinking about the Trade Deadline

Monday - Feb 25th this year. 

If you are running the club - who do  you try to shop  / make available.... ?

For me i would be taking offers on and looking to move  3 or 4 from this list 

I realize that that would create major holes in the lineup for the remainder of the season.... but heh i am willing to bring up AHL talent to fill their spots.

Sutter

Gudbranson

Baertschi

Erickson

Goldobin

Pulliot

Schaller

Tanev

Just now, Roberts said:

I would take Baertschi and Tanev off that list, I think they are a great addition to the team

Sven just doesn't seem to durable enough...  and my thoughts on Tanev is he is a bit of tweener... not very physical and doesn't really provide much offense/skill. 

18 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

OK - time to start thinking about the Trade Deadline

Monday - Feb 25th this year. 

If you are running the club - who do  you try to shop  / make available.... ?

For me i would be taking offers on and looking to move  3 or 4 from this list 

I realize that that would create major holes in the lineup for the remainder of the season.... but heh i am willing to bring up AHL talent to fill their spots.

Sutter

Gudbranson

Baertschi

Erickson

Goldobin

Pulliot

Schaller

Tanev

FYI Moved to proper subforum with tags

Just now, Mikey2Dope said:

Modified NTC where he can provide us a list of 8 teams that he won't be traded to (according to CapFriendly).

Oh , OK.    So yes Tanev should be able to bring us a 2nd and 3 rd.   Or a 2nd and a prospect......

That is a trade that could help out the club long term. 

Make Edler available and see what kind of offers there are for him, but work with him as well and respect his NTC. Similar case with Sutter, just with more authority on getting him moved. 

Listen tentatively on offers for Tanev.

Try and weasel into a deal where we can work our cap space to our advantage like Vegas last year to gain an extra asset for Utica. 

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Oh , OK.    So yes Tanev should be able to bring us a 2nd and 3 rd.   Or a 2nd and a prospect......

That is a trade that could help out the club long term. 

How long for that 2nd round pick to make the NHL.  Virtanen is in his draft+5 and was a 6th overall. Goldobin a 1st round pick - also in his draft+5.

McDavid, Matthews and Tavares have changed the landscape.  Star players are now skipping their bridge and taking shorter deals to reach UFA earlier and have control of their future.  They want to play for teams who can win.  None of them want to end up in a McDavid situation where he gave up UFA years to a poor team.  They are also no longer willing to take a pay-cut to subside veterans who contribute less to the team than they are.  The salary cap catches up fast.

Core group to build around: Elias, Bo, Brock, Marky, Quinn, Demko/ Mikey

Guys that I'd like to keep around, barring overpayments: Hutton, Stecher, Edler, Roussel, Leivo, Beagle, Motte, Tanev, Sven, Jake

Guys with some perceivable value/ potential that I hope can get moved: Goldie, Sutter

Any of Loui, Granny, Guddy, Pouliot, Schaller should be available/ actively marketed.

- Derick's playing better but is still inconsistent, try to shed him by season's end if he's still not consistent
- Guddy is still a defensive liability; see if we could get a more reliable physical defender on the right side

- Granny/ Schaller: hope we could trade one of these for Brad Hunt/ Greg Pateryn/ Bortuzzo (hard shooting D-man)  

37 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I love to hear others opinions...

Why would you want to stand pat with a club that clearly has guys on the team that are not making consistent contributions... ?

You can't get anything for players not worth anything. I'd love to trade Schaller and Pouliot, but they're not worth anything right now.

Just now, Phil_314 said:

Core group to build around: Elias, Bo, Brock, Marky, Quinn, Demko/ Mikey

Guys that I'd like to keep around, barring overpayments: Hutton, Stecher, Edler, Roussel, Leivo, Beagle, Motte, Tanev, Sven, Jake

Guys with some perceivable value/ potential that I hope can get moved: Goldie, Sutter

Any of Loui, Granny, Guddy, Pouliot, Schaller should be available/ actively marketed.

- Derick's playing better but is still inconsistent, try to shed him by season's end if he's still not consistent
- Guddy is still a defensive liability; see if we could get a more reliable physical defender on the right side

- Granny/ Schaller: hope we could trade one of these for Brad Hunt/ Greg Pateryn/ Bortuzzo (hard shooting D-man)  

Wild would be more than happy to hand Pateryn over - he has not been good and is signed for another 2 years.  He has all of 3 assists in 55 games - his shot is of no use.  Brad Hunt is an adventure defensively - there is a reason the Predators barely played him.

In order in terms of value back (playoff teams will see more value given apparent intangibles)

Edler if he’ll waive and re-sign

Tanev

Sutter

Gudbranson 

Erickson (if moveable, but unlikely)

Granlund  

Goldobin as a sweetener 

Schaller

Poulliot

Realistically no players other than Petey, Bo, Boeser, Hughes, Demko (key young players) should be untouchable.

JB has to accept he’s got some good chips to really advance the rebuild and still be fine next year w free agency.

ie go hard at Meyers, Ferland and resign Edler and our D is fine next year (Still have Hutty, Stech, Hughes, Juolevi, all the young guys in the AHL). 

JB needs to be aggressive this deadline to accept one missed playoff for a decade or more of contender.

Wouldn’t trade Tanev this year in order to see how he does with Hughes when he comes over.

The rest are dime-a-dozen players you can find available on the 30 other NHL teams. I guess you could get a 3rd rounder for Sutter if you retained 50% salary, but he’s injured now and often so he’s probably worthless now. 

Take a major swing at Huberdeau. Try and see if they are down for 2020 1st since Benning seems to really want to keep all the 2019 picks, Vancouver draft and all. Not many 25 year old PPG players on the block. He's one of the only trade block players we should be going in heavy on. Even if it costs us a Dahlen, a Lind, or a Juolevi. He fits the age bracket of our team, he helps fill a position of need being LW and he's a good-great scorer. Slap him alongside Petey or Bo. It's a wrap. Our top 6 becomes much better.

Jonathan Huberdeau - Bo Horvat - [First Name Last Name]

Josh Levio - Elias Pettersson - Brock Boeser

Looks damn fine to me and it's a top 6 we can keep around a looooooong time. Something like Gudbranson, one of Virtanen/Goldy/Gaudette, 2020 1st rounder for Huberdeau. Obviously a few pieces here and there to even it out better but the foundation could look something like this. All this is predicated on whether or not they still see something in Guddy as a top 4 guy AND whether they'd be okay with next year's 1st since Benning and likely ownership want to keep our 1st rounder this year for the hometown draft.

Archived