The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The SNC-Lavalin Scandal - Jody Wilson-Raybould Refuses to leave Office

DonLever

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

I think JT screwed over the wrong mp.

no doubt. For multiple reasons. 

This kind of thing happens to all governments eventually, I am a little surprised its a 1st term issue with Trudeau. But the comments in the story you posted tell me theres a lot of MPs that don't like how Trudeau's PMO is being run and they're happy to voice their support for  JWR. The only difference between Trudeau's PMO and Harpers is people under Harper were too scared to speak. 

I know you think I'm "downplaying" but thats not the case, I think this is very bad. But in terms of legality I don't see where anyone can pin something directly on Trudeau, in a similar way to the Duffy scandal and Harper. We all know that thing stank, this thing stinks. 

But it will be up to the voters, not the legal system, to bring down the government. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no doubt. For multiple reasons. 

This kind of thing happens to all governments eventually, I am a little surprised its a 1st term issue with Trudeau. But the comments in the story you posted tell me theres a lot of MPs that don't like how Trudeau's PMO is being run and they're happy to voice their support for  JWR. The only difference between Trudeau's PMO and Harpers is people under Harper were too scared to speak. 

I know you think I'm "downplaying" but thats not the case, I think this is very bad. But in terms of legality I don't see where anyone can pin something directly on Trudeau, in a similar way to the Duffy scandal and Harper. We all know that thing stank, this thing stinks. 

But it will be up to the voters, not the legal system, to bring down the government. 

Obviously you're far wiser on the legal side I just think this whole thing is a crime no matter the government. First you put in place a law that protects a company for breaking the law and then you remove a respected MP because she won't go along with corruption. Again I don't care which party it is but I don't want my country run like this.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Obviously you're far wiser on the legal side I just think this whole thing is a crime no matter the government.

1 - First you put in place a law that protects a company for breaking the law

2 - and then you remove a respected MP because she won't go along with corruption.

3- Again I don't care which party it is but I don't want my country run like this.

1 - yeah its the way of the world, the big companies are on top. Part of the rationale for the law was if we didn't keep step with the US we'd lose corporate head offices, since we wouldn't have the 'buy out' option. So the gun to our heads was do you want to keep the jobs or not. Some think the jobs matter more, some the jail time for exec's. Then add in politics. Oh joy. 

2 - This is the big mistake. Trudeau is bleeding support in the public but also in his own party leading into an election year. She wasn't interested in the remediation option, and good for her, that was her call. Clearly the pressure from the PMO wasn't enough to change her mind. The question is, was that pressure illegal. Almost certainly not. Did it break House ethics rules? Maybe. Was it wrong? yes. 

3 - OK, so do you really think Scheer is going to repeal the law? And this isn't a deflection from JTs mistakes. In truth, do you really think Scheer is going to do anything about this law? Is the CPC really going to make thing harder for companies? 

26 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

1 - yeah its the way of the world, the big companies are on top. Part of the rationale for the law was if we didn't keep step with the US we'd lose corporate head offices, since we wouldn't have the 'buy out' option. So the gun to our heads was do you want to keep the jobs or not. Some think the jobs matter more, some the jail time for exec's. Then add in politics. Oh joy. 

2 - This is the big mistake. Trudeau is bleeding support in the public but also in his own party leading into an election year. She wasn't interested in the remediation option, and good for her, that was her call. Clearly the pressure from the PMO wasn't enough to change her mind. The question is, was that pressure illegal. Almost certainly not. Did it break House ethics rules? Maybe. Was it wrong? yes. 

3 - OK, so do you really think Scheer is going to repeal the law? And this isn't a deflection from JTs mistakes. In truth, do you really think Scheer is going to do anything about this law? Is the CPC really going to make thing harder for companies? 

1) Fair point but would you agree that maybe the west/free world fix this problem.

2) Hopefully it hurts him.

3) Most likely not. I think 1 could apply if he wins the election.

6 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Duffy was found not guilty on all charges. Now I think our mps and senators steal from the tax payer daily but the judge said he didn't.

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I"m not comparing SNCs crimes to Duffy, I'm comparing Nigel Wrights meddling with Gerry Butt's meddling. On that front is very similar. 

Meddling with what?  Wright made sure the taxpayer was paid back, and Butt made sure the taxpayer stayed screwed?  Only similar in the most superficial sense.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Meddling with what?  Wright made sure the taxpayer was paid back, and Butt made sure the taxpayer stayed screwed?  Only similar in the most superficial sense.

Oh good god, thats not why he wrote the cheque and you know it, it was to cover Harpers ass. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Oh good god, thats not why he wrote the cheque and you know it, it was to cover Harpers ass. 

Aren't you a man of the law? Remember what the judge said?

Just another reason we should abolish the senate.

Anyway back to the news, the PM will not allow JWR to testify

Why not?

Edited by Ryan Strome

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Aren't you a man of the law? Remember what the judge said?

Just another reason we should abolish the senate.

Anyway back to the news, the PM will not allow JWR to testify

Why not?

yes, he said the senate rules were too loose to be able to sustain criminal charges and it was a waste of time to prosecute Duffy. So personal training for all I suppose. 

Nowhere was Nigel Wright given credit for being nice to the taxpayer. Thats a CPC fluff job. He did his job as chief of staff and covered his bosses ass, thats it. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yes, he said the senate rules were too loose to be able to sustain criminal charges and it was a waste of time to prosecute Duffy. So personal training for all I suppose. 

Nowhere was Nigel Wright given credit for being nice to the taxpayer. Thats a CPC fluff job. He did his job as chief of staff and covered his bosses ass, thats it. 

That isn't what I wanted you to respond to. B)

9 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Maybe the libs did it to try to save the 8500 Canadians employed by SNC from losing their jobs? 

This scandal looks bad, but not at bad as almost 10k Canadians and 40k others losing their livelihoods. 

This is just a great excuse for cons to attack.  

End of the day this will all be swept under the rug like every other ‘scandal’ 

They were were not trying to save the jobs of Canadians. They were trying to save the jobs of a Quebec company(for votes)

If they truly cared about jobs and the economy Transmountain would be built

Disgusting abuse of power to not piss off Quebec

19 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

That isn't what I wanted you to respond to. B)

sorry, missed that part. You know me and my Harper fetish.

Well, there is a real issue in what it means to waive privilege and the effect it would have on the SNC case, no one would want to make things worse (or better for those accused) by saying something they shouldn't have in public. So thats something that should get some independent advice specifically on details related to the case. 

Personally I think JT needs to waive it, like yesterday (within the limits on maybe some very specific things to do with the SNC case so that doesn't get trashed) and get it all out in the open. The longer it goes on the worse it will get and the more the CPC and NDP will be able to create narratives over it, true or not. But my guess is Gerry Butts is advising against it.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sorry, missed that part. You know me and my Harper fetish.

Well, there is a real issue in what it means to waive privilege and the effect it would have on the SNC case, no one would want to make things worse (or better for those accused) by saying something they shouldn't have in public. So thats something that should get some independent advice specifically on details related to the case. 

Personally I think JT needs to waive it, like yesterday (within the limits on maybe some very specific things to do with the SNC case so that doesn't get trashed) and get it all out in the open. The longer it goes on the worse it will get and the more the CPC and NDP will be able to create narratives over it, true or not. But my guess is Gerry Butts is advising against it.

I just feel JWR wanted to do the RIGHT thing and she was punished for it. There is certain liberal mp's I have lots of respect for and she was one of them.

Edited by Ryan Strome

15 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I just feel JWR wanted to do the RIGHT thing and she was punished for it. There is certain liberal mp's I have lots of respect for and she was one of them.

Agreed man, you won't get an argument from me there. 

She did do the right thing legally. She didn't do the right thing politically, and by that I mean she didn't go along to get along with the PMO. Thats why she's getting so much open support from other Liberal MPs, they're probably quite tired of the way Trudeau is letting his PMO be run. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Agreed man, you won't get an argument from me there. 

She did do the right thing legally. She didn't do the right thing politically, and by that I mean she didn't go along to get along with the PMO. Thats why she's getting so much open support from other Liberal MPs, they're probably quite tired of the way Trudeau is letting his PMO be run. 

But I think supporters of all colours should support her on this. She is doing the right thing and was punished for it, what message is that sending to kids across Canada?

10 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

But I think supporters of all colours should support her on this. She is doing the right thing and was punished for it, what message is that sending to kids across Canada?

a pretty $&!#ty one. 

I think this scandal gets down to some of the real ugly sides of politics. Trudeau has to own up to it and and let the principles involved be questioned. Who knows, the voting public may forgive him for it. But if they continue to prevent JWR from speaking this thing wont go away and will get worse. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1