The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The SNC-Lavalin Scandal - Jody Wilson-Raybould Refuses to leave Office

DonLever

29 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

You are quoting a former speech writer for George Bush.....   A  Rudolph Giuliani's presidential campaign  adviser......

YOU CrACK me up....

Good one.... 

Get back to me when you want a serious debate..........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Frum

In 2009, Frum described his political beliefs as follows:

"I'm a conservative Republican, have been all my adult life. I volunteered for the Reagan campaign in 1980. I've attended every Republican convention since 1988. I was president of the Federalist Society chapter at my law school, worked on the editorial page of The Wall Street Journal and wrote speeches for President Bush—not the 'Read My Lips' Bush, the 'Axis of Evil' Bush. I served on the Giuliani campaign in 2008 and voted for John McCain in November. I supported the Iraq War and (although I feel kind of silly about it in retrospect) the impeachment of Bill Clinton. I could go on, but you get the idea

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

You are quoting a former speech writer for George Bush.....   A  Rudolph Giuliani's presidential campaign  adviser......

YOU CrACK me up....

Good one.... 

Get back to me when you want a serious debate..........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Frum

In 2009, Frum described his political beliefs as follows:

"I'm a conservative Republican, have been all my adult life. I volunteered for the Reagan campaign in 1980. I've attended every Republican convention since 1988. I was president of the Federalist Society chapter at my law school, worked on the editorial page of The Wall Street Journal and wrote speeches for President Bush—not the 'Read My Lips' Bush, the 'Axis of Evil' Bush. I served on the Giuliani campaign in 2008 and voted for John McCain in November. I supported the Iraq War and (although I feel kind of silly about it in retrospect) the impeachment of Bill Clinton. I could go on, but you get the idea

"Serious debate" and your name DO NOT go together.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, TheAce said:

When Alberta had enough of what the Conservatives were doing ( provincially ) they voted them out so I disagree there would be no complaining. So its ok to do whatever possible to save 9000 jobs ( which in reality would probably be alot less because the contracts SNC lose out on can be picked up by other Canadian companies ) but Trudeau barely blinks an eye when over 120,000 jobs were lost in Alberta .

After hearing her testimony do you consider what they did to her unethical ? Do you agree she should have lost her position because she didnt give in to there pressure ?

TLDR with this entire scandal. The liberals know if they keep Quebec happy they stay in power and can get their laws approved. Jody didn't want to bend the rules in order to keep her party in power with a majority government. Alberta will always be heavily conservative no matter what the Liberals do so helping Alberta really isn't that appealing.

With all that said it's the archaic voting system that is causing this. Andrew Weaver tried to bring in proportional representation in BC but both the NDP and BC Liberals spearheaded against it. With proportional representation, it's nearly impossible to get a majority government, as it should. 

Edited by peaches5

10 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

You need to study Canadian history....

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/pierre-elliott-trudeau-feature

In a recent book, two historians ranked Pierre Trudeau a paltry fifth among Canada's prime ministers. If criteria for eminence were to include vision, force of character, style or intellect, then surely none but Macdonald would surpass Trudeau. He would be considered truly the second father of his country.

You didn't even respond to what he said.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, otherwise said:

but why would she undermine that decision? it would basically be saying that there had been an error in judgement. which it doesn't appear to have happened so, no it was not a legal option. SNC have a history of corruption so I don't think that they should get a slap on the wrist this time.

I think AGs can feel pressure even if they are separate. It takes integrity to not cave to that pressure.

dictators can also bend the justice system to suit their needs or wants.

because of the consequences for real peoples jobs. 

37 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

It's funny because a few in here are looking like complete hypocrites for sure. Not sure what @kingofsurrey is doing in here he just admitted the other day he has no clue about this story. 

why because we're not joining the CPC party? :lol:

there's already a lot of bs floating around about what this is, but what is clear is this is about how much pressure is "too much" to put on an AG, not anything about whether or not the option Trudeau wanted (and didn't get) was legal. It is. 

For me, its really interesting that JWR really didn't seem to understand her cabinet colleagues reactions to her and this issue. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why because we're not joining the CPC party? :lol:

there's already a lot of bs floating around about what this is, but what is clear is this is about how much pressure is "too much" to put on an AG, not anything about whether or not the option Trudeau wanted (and didn't get) was legal. It is. 

For me, its really interesting that JWR really didn't seem to understand her cabinet colleagues reactions to her and this issue. 

It has nothing to do with the cpc. When I say hypocrites I was referring to Trump lying and JT lying. The same people defending JT blast Trump. JT can't stop lying, remember he said JWR never discussed anything with him? Meanwhile she claims she did and even warned him about what he was suggesting. 

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

It has nothing to do with the cpc. When I say hypocrites I was referring to Trump lying and JT lying. The same people defending JT blast Trump. JT can't stop lying, remember he said JWR never discussed anything with him? Meanwhile she claims she did and even warned him about what he was suggesting. 

Well, I don't know whats left to lie about now :lol: like I said from the start, this needed to all come out fast and right away. I guess Butts didn't get my memo. 

I'm not happy at all with how Trudeau has handled his side of this (you can go back to his "evolving" comments on it: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-trudeau-says-he-removed-wilson-raybould-from-justice-because-of/).

I really can't believe how badly he misread JWR either, but I do think she does bear some of this in the sense that if you are that principled that you can't see the need for political concessions from time to time then don't take a cabinet job. 

So here we are. Is there Illegal activity. Nope. But people will have to decide if they want to bring this gov't down over it, or go back to 'lil Harper which also had its share of nasty business. 

I think what is has done is make Trudeau extremely vulnerable.