The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The SNC-Lavalin Scandal - Jody Wilson-Raybould Refuses to leave Office

DonLever

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I see we are accepting our votes really count for nothing.  It matters not which puppets we elect.  Their strings are still pulled by the same wealthy elite.  

Well they kinda do when over 90% of the time, incumbents win reelection in the US.  Its not much different here in Canada.   A sitting mayor of Prince George has only lost reelection I think 3 times.  Most of the time, our MLAs only changed when there was a retirement.   Our MP Dick Harris lived in Osoyoos for the last 3 years of his final term, and people here still voted for the conservative candidate.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Well they kinda do when over 90% of the time, incumbents win reelection in the US.  Its not much different here in Canada.   A sitting mayor of Prince George has only lost reelection I think 3 times.  Most of the time, our MLAs only changed when there was a retirement.   Our MP Dick Harris lived in Osoyoos for the last 3 years of his final term, and people here still voted for the conservative candidate.

And regardless of the voters’ choices, the same crap continues.  Unless our lives become uncomfortable, like the French in the 1770’s, we (the voters) will continue to not really care.  

20 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

Totally agree. I am pissed at any government that does not have the balls to demand accountability. The government in this case is essentially admitting corporate corruption is an acceptable practice because they need the votes in Quebec is a pathetic excuse. 

When there's money on the line accountability just seems to have all sorts of ambiguous rules to these people. Saudi Arabia may be disciplined. SNC Lavalin gets off. 

Kudos to the journalists who broke this story. 

13 minutes ago, Canada Hockey Place said:

We will hear from Ms Wilson-Raybould soon. Former AG has hired counsel, so it must be super complicated.  

But I have a feeling her leaving isn't all to do with this one issue. I think it was brewing over a few things.

If Jody Wilson-Raybould joined Elizabeth May/Green Party. I would vote for them. 

Since as Attorney General, she was the lawyer to the Government of Canada she is not permitted to disclose due to lawyer/client confidentiality

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

This is going to come down to whether or not the PMO trying to influence the justice minister is a crime, and I doubt that there is any legal way that it technically is. Maybe it should be.

I liked Wilson-Raybould a lot and think she was treated very poorly by Trudeau and its coming back to bite him. 

As far as scandals go, this isn't on the same level as the sponsorship scandal or even the infamous $90,000 Duffy check from Harper, but it still stinks of too much influence by a PMO into justice affairs for political reasons. 

IMO she was kicked out of justice for not being a 'team player', someone willing to adjust their principles for political reasons. She easily could have changed the case to allow the remediation route but chose prosecution instead, and for that she got shuffled out of justice. It was a terrible decision by Trudeau for so many reasons, not the least of which is the message it sends to first nations people in Canada. 

Yeah, difficult to classify this as a crime, however taken in context with all of the other failures under Trudeau's watch, I think this might be the straw that breaks the camel's back, especially if this turns into a massively drawn out affair. Even the perception of political meddling in the course of a high profile legal case with historical ties to the Liberal party; all of this in light of very recent affirmations by Trudeau et al around the "rule of law", it seriously (if it was even possible) undermines Canada's international standing in the eyes of international Governments more than it already has.

2 hours ago, luckylager said:

Politicians are always so eager to get on their knees for Corporations, like whores.

Jody Wilson-Raybould wouldn't, and has now been pressured into resigning, which is total bull$&!#. 

The RCMP charged them with defrauding businesses out of $130m... How big of a fine are we talking about under remediation?

Would the defrauded companies in Libya get their cash back?

And even if they (SNCL) did repay the people they defrauded, they should still be banned from bidding on Government projects for being a criminal organization.

I don't think Jody was pressured into resigning, in fact I think she was going to let things go and not say anything, but Trudeau's smug comments yesterday making the assumption that "everything was understood on both sides" is what tipped Wilson-Raybould to take steps toward allowing the truth to come forward. There also appears to be high levels of dissent among the Liberal party as well as remaining cabinet members. I think that if the Liberals really want any chance in the coming election, Trudeau should be resigning himself in light of 4 confirmed previous ethics violations and staring down the barrel of a 5th.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

This is going to come down to whether or not the PMO trying to influence the justice minister is a crime, and I doubt that there is any legal way that it technically is. Maybe it should be.

I liked Wilson-Raybould a lot and think she was treated very poorly by Trudeau and its coming back to bite him. 

As far as scandals go, this isn't on the same level as the sponsorship scandal or even the infamous $90,000 Duffy check from Harper, but it still stinks of too much influence by a PMO into justice affairs for political reasons. 

IMO she was kicked out of justice for not being a 'team player', someone willing to adjust their principles for political reasons. She easily could have changed the case to allow the remediation route but chose prosecution instead, and for that she got shuffled out of justice. It was a terrible decision by Trudeau for so many reasons, not the least of which is the message it sends to first nations people in Canada. 

How does the pay back of Duffy’s fraud by a naive dogooder in Harper’s office, repaying the taxpayer for Duffy’s fraud, even operate on the same scale as the half billion dollar corruption of SNC?  It is not the same in principle, nor in sheer scale.  SNC is right up there in scale and nature of previous Liberal corruption - the party that believes itself the natural rulers and beneficiaries of Canada’s prosperity.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

How does the pay back of Duffy’s fraud by a naive dogooder in Harper’s office, repaying the taxpayer for Duffy’s fraud, even operate on the same scale as the half billion dollar corruption of SNC?  It is not the same in principle, nor in sheer scale.  SNC is right up there in scale and nature of previous Liberal corruption - the party that believes itself the natural rulers and beneficiaries of Canada’s prosperity.

Duffy was found not guilty on all charges. Now I think our mps and senators steal from the tax payer daily but the judge said he didn't.

Maybe the libs did it to try to save the 8500 Canadians employed by SNC from losing their jobs? 

This scandal looks bad, but not at bad as almost 10k Canadians and 40k others losing their livelihoods. 

This is just a great excuse for cons to attack.  

End of the day this will all be swept under the rug like every other ‘scandal’ 

2 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Maybe the libs did it to try to save the 8500 Canadians employed by SNC from losing their jobs? 

This scandal looks bad, but not at bad as almost 10k Canadians and 40k others losing their livelihoods. 

This is just a great excuse for cons to attack.  

End of the day this will all be swept under the rug like every other ‘scandal’ 

That and the fact snc is the liberals biggest donor. Nevertheless what you're saying is if someone breaks the law no big deal because they create lots of jobs. 

• Upvote 1

I think JT screwed over the wrong mp.

Some Liberals boost Jody Wilson-Raybould after she resigned from cabinet

Some Liberal MPs are showing support and even praising ex-justice and veterans affairs minister Jody Wilson-Raybould after she announced her resignation from cabinet on Tuesday.

The Vancouver-Granville MP announced on Tuesday morning that she was tendering her resignation as veterans affairs minister, a post she was moved to from the justice portfolio in a cabinet shuffle last month.

Treasury Board President Jane Philpott tweeted praise for Wilson-Raybould on Tuesday night, saying that she “taught me so much — particularly about Indigenous history, rights and justice.”

Philpott said she was “proud of the laws that we worked on together.”

Those laws included a bill that amended the Criminal Code to, among other things, exempt from culpable homicide people who aid suicide in order to allow medical staff to assist in the process.

Philpott also noted their work on Bill C-45, legislation to legalize marijuana, as well as Bill C-37, which made it easier to open supervised injection sites.

John McCallum, a former Liberal cabinet minister whom Prime Minister Justin Trudeau fired as ambassador to China in January, sent along his own praise for both Wilson-Raybould and Philpott.

Whitby MP Celina Caesar-Chavannes, meanwhile, has shown clear support for Wilson-Raybould.

She supported her when The Globe and Mail reported that the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) asked Wilson-Raybould to cut a deal and help Quebec engineering giant SNC-Lavalin avoid a trial on corruption and fraud charges.

Trudeau said the allegations in that story were false.

A story subsequently emerged in which anonymous sources suggested Wilson-Raybould had become a thorn in the side of the cabinet, that she was difficult to get along with and that she had been known to berate fellow ministers.

Responding to that story, Caesar-Chavannes tweeted that Wilson-Raybould is “fierce, smart and unapologetic.”

“When women speak up and out, they are always going to be labelled,” she wrote.

Caesar-Chavannes tweeted this message with the hashtag, #IAmWithHer.

On Tuesday, she tweeted a closed fist to show her support for Wilson-Raybould.

Wilson-Raybould herself was active on Twitter on the day she resigned from cabinet.

She retweeted Philpott’s tweet, and those of numerous others that expressed support for her.

Wilson-Raybould also retweeted an interview with her father, First Nations leader Bill Wilson, in which he said she was “kicked in the teeth” when she was shuffled to Veterans Affairs.

Wilson made similar remarks in an interview with Global News, saying it was a “bloody insult” to her and to Indigenous people across Canada when her cabinet portfolio changed.

“Thank you to my pappa for your unwavering support,” Wilson-Raybould tweeted.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4955235/jody-wilson-raybould-liberal-support/

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its impossible to do business in a place like Libya without baksheesh. The question should be whether we allow Canadian companies to operate there at all, because if we do, thats going to be part of the equation, its inevitable. 

Totally agree on J W-R getting shafted, we need more people like her not less.

If people only Knew how "baksheesh" goes on in this country...

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Why did Trudeau pass legislation allowing snc to avoid prosecution?

it wasn't specifically for SNC, its in line with legislation passed in the UK and US on this type of crime. I can understand why a lot of people don't like it, its not like other types of criminals get to buy their way out. 

6 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I"m not comparing SNCs crimes to Duffy, I'm comparing Nigel Wrights meddling with Gerry Butt's meddling. On that front is very similar.