The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The SNC-Lavalin Scandal - Jody Wilson-Raybould Refuses to leave Office

DonLever

1 hour ago, Stamkos said:

This is completely stupid. Stop thinking politics and start thinking like people. 

Look at the numbers. This is a 50 000 person company worldwide, much of that is Canadian based. That’s a lot of people suddenly out of work but here’s more. About 20% of SNC’s shares are owned by the Quebec Teachers Pension, meaning they’re absolutely screwed if anything drastic happens. As well, banning a company for what happened in another country, with people who’re no longer members of said company because they’re all gone, dead or in jail, from many years ago, makes no sense. 

Think, please. 

So money talks and to heck with the law?

How far does this viewpoint of yours go?

• Thanks 1

Everyone whinging about the SNC Lavalin affair which started under the former government but may or may not have been jerry rigged by Trudeau.

But nobody seems to want to speak of the KPMG tax account fraud that the Conservatives spoke to KPMG about then completely buried 

Both are wrong, but only one involves tax dollars being hidden and it just went quiet...absolutely quiet

I would like answers on both myself.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/harper-government-partnered-with-industry-group-battling-cra-over-kpmg-case-1.3257994

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cabinet-ministers-met-publicly-with-kpmg-while-firm-s-tax-sham-under-cra-probe-1.3234876

I'd like to know why nobody is hammering that 4 years later but people are panicking because Golden Boy possibly said ease off an investigation.

2 hours ago, Stamkos said:

This is completely stupid. Stop thinking politics and start thinking like people. 

Look at the numbers. This is a 50 000 person company worldwide, much of that is Canadian based. That’s a lot of people suddenly out of work but here’s more. About 20% of SNC’s shares are owned by the Quebec Teachers Pension, meaning they’re absolutely screwed if anything drastic happens. As well, banning a company for what happened in another country, with people who’re no longer members of said company because they’re all gone, dead or in jail, from many years ago, makes no sense. 

Think, please. 

So as long as you're rich and powerful you can break the law? 

Think please about what you just said.

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Everyone whinging about the SNC Lavalin affair which started under the former government but may or may not have been jerry rigged by Trudeau.

But nobody seems to want to speak of the KPMG tax account fraud that the Conservatives spoke to KPMG about then completely buried 

Both are wrong, but only one involves tax dollars being hidden and it just went quiet...absolutely quiet

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/harper-government-partnered-with-industry-group-battling-cra-over-kpmg-case-1.3257994

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cabinet-ministers-met-publicly-with-kpmg-while-firm-s-tax-sham-under-cra-probe-1.3234876

I'd like to know why nobody is hammering that 4 years later but people are panicking because Golden Boy possibly said ease off an investigation.

2015 Brilliant hip. Like clockwork you're here defending Trudeau with a story from 2015. JWR was demoted because she wouldn't go along with JT laying off snc for breaking the law. You say the affair started uder the cpc? Meanwhile the scandal took place under your boy JT. What relevance does your old story have to do with this other than the fact you are butt hurt JT is being attacked and rightfully so.

12 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

2015 Brilliant hip. Like clockwork you're here defending Trudeau with a story from 2015. JWR was demoted because she wouldn't go along with JT laying off snc for breaking the law. You say the affair started uder the cpc? Meanwhile the scandal took place under your boy JT. What relevance does your old story have to do with this other than the fact you are butt hurt JT is being attacked and rightfully so.

So you don't think that's an issue at all and you don't care that the possible future PM as speaker of the house knowingly signed off on potentially assisting tax frauds

But Trudeau removing someone from a cabinet post it?

Hmmm

I kinda want answers to both but you think one is acceptable.

Fascinating

Wilson-Raybould tells Commons she wants to 'speak my truth' on SNC-Lavalin

Jody Wilson-Raybould told the Commons today she wants to tell her side of the SNC-Lavalin scandal now consuming official Ottawa, but she can't "waive" solicitor-client privilege on her own.

The former justice minister and attorney general rose to explain why she was abstaining from a vote on an NDP motion to hold a public inquiry into alleged political interference in the criminal prosecution of the Quebec-based global engineering firm. Wilson-Raybould said she would refrain from voting because she was personally involved in the matter.

"I understand fully that Canadians want to know the truth and want transparency," she said. "Privilege and confidentiality are not mine to waive, and I hope that I have the opportunity to speak my truth."

Wilson-Raybould has said she remains bound by client-solicitor privilege; as the former attorney general, she served as the government's top lawyer.

The NDP motion was to launch a public inquiry into allegations that officials in the Prime Minister's Office tried to pressure Wilson-Raybould to direct the Public Prosecution Service of Canada to draft a deferred prosecution agreement (DPA) — a legal tool resembling a plea deal — for SNC-Lavalin.

That would have allowed the global engineering firm to avoid criminal prosecution on bribery and fraud charges related to contracts in Libya. Conservatives supported the motion.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has asked Justice Minister and Attorney General David Lametti to review the matter of solicitor-client privilege in this case. Wilson-Raybould has retained retired Supreme Court justice Thomas Cromwell to advise her on what she can and can't say.

The NDP motion, which was defeated by the Liberal majority in a 134-160 vote, also called on the government to waive client-solicitor privilege in the SNC-Lavalin affair.

Two Liberal MPs, Nathaniel Erskine-Smith and Wayne Long, broke ranks and voted with the opposition.

Earlier today, Trudeau apologized to Wilson-Raybould today for what he called "absolutely unacceptable" comments and cartoons about the former justice minister linked to the swelling SNC-Lavalin scandal.

Speaking to reporters before facing another bruising round of questions about SNC-Lavalin in the Commons, Trudeau said he took the opportunity to say sorry to his former justice minister personally during a closed-door Liberal caucus meeting earlier today.

"I wasn't quick enough to condemn, in unequivocal terms, the comments and commentary and cartoons about her last week," he said. "They were absolutely unacceptable and I should have done it sooner."

Trudeau didn't specify which comments inspired his apology. Recently, the Canadian Press ran a story quoting anonymous sources who described Wilson-Raybould as someone who had "become a thorn in the side of the cabinet" before she was shuffled to Veterans Affairs last month. She was also described as "someone ... [who] was difficult to get along with, known to berate fellow cabinet ministers openly at the table, and who others felt they had trouble trusting."

Several political cartoonists taking off on the SNC-Lavalin scandal portrayed Wilson-Raybould bound, gagged and beaten — a reference to Wilson-Raybould refusing to comment on the scandal publicly because of solicitor-client privilege.

Earlier today, Trudeau suggested a public inquiry isn't necessary to get to the bottom of the SNC-Lavalin affair.

Heading into the caucus meeting, he did not rule out an inquiry but said the Commons justice committee is "seized" with the issue and noted the ethics commissioner also has launched an investigation.

"We'll be hearing from (Wilson-Raybould), we'll be hearing from experts, we'll be hearing from a range of people. (The committee) will make the determination as to who it needs to hear from," he said. "It is important that there be an airing on this situation at the same time as we continue to work on a broad range of big issues that matter."

Liberal caucus chair Francis Scarpaleggia said he has "a lot of faith" in the justice committee process and doesn't think a public inquiry is necessary.

"Personally, I don't see a need for one," he said.

MPs left the caucus meeting with little to say publicly about the mood in the room. Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said the investigations by the justice committee and the ethics commissioner will unfold in a "careful, logical and orderly fashion."

After a two-hour closed door meeting Tuesday, members of the justice committee emerged with a list of witnesses that includes a handful of academics and Lametti, in addition to Wilson-Raybould.

The hearings were tentatively scheduled to begin this afternoon, but were delayed due to scheduling issues with potential witnesses. On Thursday, Lametti is scheduled to testify, as is Nathalie Drouin, deputy minister of justice and deputy attorney general, and Michael Wernick, clerk of the Privy Council and secretary to the cabinet.

Bound by privilege constraints

Wilson-Raybould is not expected to appear before the committee until next week.

Today, she said she respects the committee process. She also acknowledged that the question of whether her appearance will be meaningful — given the potential limitations on what she can say — is "an appropriate one."

"I want to be able to ensure that I'm confident in what I can and can't say," she said on her way in to the weekly Liberal caucus meeting.

Wilson-Raybould quit Trudeau's cabinet last week — just a week after being demoted to the Veterans Affairs post and just days after the Globe and Mail reported on the allegation of political interference in the SNC-Lavalin criminal case. Today, she said she is unable to explain her resignation due to confidentiality constraints.

Key players not invited to committee

"I know this is frustrating for many people. I'm committed to ensuring that I know what I can and cannot say as I'm getting legal advice around privilege," she said.

Conservatives and New Democrats have accused the Liberals of blocking key players from appearing before the justice committee — among them Gerry Butts, who suddenly resigned Monday from his position as Trudeau's top adviser.

Wilson-Raybould surprised many Tuesday when she emerged from the cabinet room in the afternoon after addressing Trudeau and his ministers.

Today, Trudeau said she had made the request to address her former cabinet colleagues.

"I think it's extremely important that everyone have an opportunity to hear the different perspectives in this situation," he said.

After Wilson-Raybould abstained from today's vote, the Conservatives and NDP said Trudeau and Lametti also should have abstained because they are directly involved in the matter.

House Speaker Geoff Regan did not immediately rule on the matter, instead taking time to review precedent.

Green Party Leader Elizabeth May said it was not improper for Trudeau to vote, noting that in the Westminster parliamentary system the "client" is the government, not the individual prime minister.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/wilson-raybould-snc-lavalin-trudeau-1.5025885

@Jimmy McGill

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/wilson-raybould-can-speak-trudeau/ar-BBU4xje?ocid=spartandhp

"

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould will be permitted to speak publicly about some of the details of the SNC-Lavalin affair.

Trudeau is telling the House of Commons that the government will waive some of the solicitor-client privilege and cabinet confidences that have so far kept Wilson-Raybould silent.

Trudeau says she would be able to address "relevant matters" when questioned by members of the Commons justice committee while also ensuring two active court cases involving Quebec-based engineering firm SNC-Lavalin are not jeopardized.

Wilson-Raybould sent a letter to the chair of the committee today saying she is anxious to appear, but wants to hold off scheduling an appearance until clarity has been reached about what she is legally allowed to share.

"

She says once she has that clarity, she will appear at the first available opportunity.

Wilson-Raybould also asked that she be allowed to make an extended opening statement lasting about 30 minutes when she does appear so she can offer her best recollections of all relevant communications she had on the SNC-Lavalin affair."

On 2/25/2019 at 6:20 PM, gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/wilson-raybould-can-speak-trudeau/ar-BBU4xje?ocid=spartandhp

"

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould will be permitted to speak publicly about some of the details of the SNC-Lavalin affair.

Trudeau is telling the House of Commons that the government will waive some of the solicitor-client privilege and cabinet confidences that have so far kept Wilson-Raybould silent.

Trudeau says she would be able to address "relevant matters" when questioned by members of the Commons justice committee while also ensuring two active court cases involving Quebec-based engineering firm SNC-Lavalin are not jeopardized.

Wilson-Raybould sent a letter to the chair of the committee today saying she is anxious to appear, but wants to hold off scheduling an appearance until clarity has been reached about what she is legally allowed to share.

"

She says once she has that clarity, she will appear at the first available opportunity.

Wilson-Raybould also asked that she be allowed to make an extended opening statement lasting about 30 minutes when she does appear so she can offer her best recollections of all relevant communications she had on the SNC-Lavalin affair."

Very interested to hear what she has to reveal.

• Cheers 1

On 2/18/2019 at 9:13 PM, Warhippy said:

They have nothing to do with one another. What is going today is atrocious and Trudeau should handled to the fullest extent of the law. 

The other matter is a different matter.

On 2/18/2019 at 8:46 PM, Stamkos said:

Think, please. 

You're not wrong. But what she's alleging the PMO did is illegal.

Dirty hands dilemma.

edit: I don't think too many other PMOs would have done anything differently. I'm not using this to justify PMO's actions, but I'm not sure what else could be done.

Edited by thejazz97

8 minutes ago, Violator said:

Goverment is crooked as &^@# news at 11

From reddit: 

Problem being in this case there are no bribes or profit for the politicians involved. This is more of the standard "Oh sh**, I'm going to go into the election with thousands of job losses around my neck - what do I do." 

The considerations were political, not personal or profitable which is not so much corruption as an enduring problem of a government facing the unintended consequences of well-meaning legislation.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

From reddit: 

Problem being in this case there are no bribes or profit for the politicians involved. This is more of the standard "Oh sh**, I'm going to go into the election with thousands of job losses around my neck - what do I do." 

The considerations were political, not personal or profitable which is not so much corruption as an enduring problem of a government facing the unintended consequences of well-meaning legislation.

I dont think there would of been any job losses.

Downturn in the oil and gas sector is having a bigger impact on snc lavalin.government should just buy them .

Edited by Violator