The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The SNC-Lavalin Scandal - Jody Wilson-Raybould Refuses to leave Office

DonLever

8 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

Guess we should get ready for Prime Minister Scheer, or if we're lucky, Prime Minister Singh lol

Porter, the person behind this all was actually very chummy with Harper and the Conservatives.  Any mediocre politician should be able to spin this as a we issue not a me issue

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

From reddit: 

Problem being in this case there are no bribes or profit for the politicians involved. This is more of the standard "Oh sh**, I'm going to go into the election with thousands of job losses around my neck - what do I do." 

The considerations were political, not personal or profitable which is not so much corruption as an enduring problem of a government facing the unintended consequences of well-meaning legislation.

its both real consequences to jobs, and political motivations. 

I do have to wonder why JWR was so unwilling to consider the remediation option.... I know its her call, but I would like to know why this was so important to her over and above the jobs and election consequences. She's got backbone to stand up to that pressure tho. 

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out now in the public, do they side with Trudeau on saving jobs (and his own political ass) or do they side with JWR on standing on principle? 

• Cheers 1

From CBC:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/wilson-raybould-testifies-justice-committee-1.5035219

Jody Wilson-Raybould says she faced intense political pressure and veiled threats related to the SNC-Lavalin affair, and was warned directly by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau about the negative consequences if the Quebec-based company faced prosecution.

Testifying at the Commons justice committee probing alleged political interference in the prosecution of the Montreal-based engineering and construction company, Wilson-Raybould said she was contacted by 11 officials in the Prime Minister's Office and the Privy Council Office on the matter when she served as justice minister and attorney general.

"For a period of four months from September to December 2018, I experience a consistent and sustained effort by many people within the government to seek to politically interfere in the exercise of prosecutorial discretion in my role as the attorney general of Canada in an inappropriate effort to secure a Deferred Prosecution Agreement (DPA) with SNC-Lavalin."

Wilson-Raybould said she was "hounded" by various officials through phone calls, meetings and text messages.

"Within these conversations there were express statements regarding the necessity of interfering in the SNC-Lavalin matter, the potential of consequences, and veiled threats if a DPA was not made available to SNC-Lavalin," she said.

Edited by DonLever

1 hour ago, thejazz97 said:

Guess we should get ready for Prime Minister Scheer, or if we're lucky, Prime Minister Singh lol

Yes, if the election was only held in English Canada but Trudeau is likely to won all 75 Quebec seats.  Trudeau will almost certainly win the next election because if Trudeau gets all of Quebec, 1/2 of Ontario, most of the Maritime provinces, he is going to win.  The West does not  matter.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, DonLever said:

Yes, if the election was only held in English Canada but Trudeau is likely to won all 75 Quebec seats.  Trudeau will almost certainly win the next election because if Trudeau gets all of Quebec, 1/2 of Ontario, most of the Maritime provinces, he is going to win.  The West does not  matter.

Especially when this gets spun that he was trying to save the 9000 jobs based in Quebec. He will be a hero to them

45 minutes ago, DonLever said:

100 % this.

JT is now a hero as he protected Quebec economic interests....

Brilliant move.

Votes west of Ontario don't count in Canadian Federal Elections....

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Porter, the person behind this all was actually very chummy with Harper and the Conservatives.  Any mediocre politician should be able to spin this as a we issue not a me issue

None issue? It was getting watched more than Michael Cohen. 

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

100 % this.

JT is now a hero as he protected Quebec economic interests....

Brilliant move.

Votes west of Ontario don't count in Canadian Federal Elections....

Kos standing up for billionaire companies skirting Canadian law.

Honestly I can no longer take you serious.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Scheer demanding Trudeau's resignation....Sorry bud.  We the people will decide that.  I don't really feel like taking marching orders from someone who was just so chummy with Faith Goldy and her merry band of supremacists

Scheer and the opposition can certainly demand Trudeau jr. resign. Canadians decide who take his place.

• Upvote 2

The part that I found most questionable was the part about SNC moving to London, people losing jobs. Now unless they meant London ont. this seems highly dumb to move the headquarters  to England at a time like this. Brexit is looking (and was even in late Sept) like a no deal was going to be quite likely. There are constant announcements of companies leaving the UK because of Brexit. If this "threat" had used Paris or Dublin, it would sound more possible. Moving to the UK looks super sketchy.

There must be a public inquiry if not there will be aspects of this swept under the rug. While this may not be criminal it is extremely problematic. JWR MUST have privilege waived on the part after she was shuffled.

Having the AG pressured to give a company a sweet deal for corruption, and still be able to bid for government contracts is disgusting.

• Upvote 1