The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Los Angeles Kings | Feb. 14, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

You'd have a point if they were a lot closer in terms of numbers. Say a 2.5 vs a 1.7 GA/60.

A 3.7 goes far beyond a difference in teammates so no, not really.

you're trying too hard with a weak, small sample out of context/cherry pick.

Sutter's 5 on 5 on ice goals against last year was 1.9 per 60 - in 61 games - on a pretty bad team.

Your attempt to pretend that goal metrics separated these two was a miss and not worth continuing to pursue wadr.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

you're trying too hard with a weak, small sample out of context/cherry pick.

Sutter's 5 on 5 on ice goals against last year was 1.9 per 60 - in 61 games - on a pretty bad team.

Your attempt to pretend that goal metrics separated these two was a miss and not worth continuing to pursue wadr.

Already said he had a good season last year. He's struggling in a limited amount of games post injury this year. 

I showed you why Manny wasn't talked about the way Sutter is. He played on a top team and performed well. I don't get what's confusing here. 

Fans see player not get scored on and contribute offensively, fans not bash player. Sutter getting scored on lots while no offense this year, he gets criticized. I guess I should have simplified instead of using numbers.

47 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

You can't, but he was asking why nobody said anything about Manny which I was trying to show as accurately as I could. 

No, actually this could be the source of confusion - I didn't ask why nobody said anything about Malhotra's plus/minus - I pointed out that no one judged him on it  - nor should they have.

And likewise with Sutter.

Btw - Malhotra was -11 in 2011/12 - when the rest of the team almost to a man were significant plus players (Rome was an exception at -4, Lappy at -3) - otherwise, he stood out as the team's worst minus player..... The point is that it's relatively meaningless - it wasn't a question why people dwell disproportionately on a misleading statistic.

15 minutes ago, oldnews said:

No, actually this could be the source of confusion - I didn't ask why nobody said anything about Malhotra's plus/minus - I pointed out that no one judged him on it  - nor should they have.

Btw - Malhotra was -11 in 2011/12 - when the rest of the team almost to a man were significant plus players (Rome was an exception at -4, Lappy at -3) - otherwise, he stood out as the team's worst minus player..... The point is that it's relatively meaningless - it wasn't a question why people dwell disproportionately on a misleading statistic.

Ah I see, my mistake there.

18 hours ago, 40Dangles said:

Would like to see him start hitting more (and the team in general), but he’s been a solid addition. His size could be used to intimidate too, same w Bo. One frustration I have with both of them 

Couldn't agree more, as good as Bo is now I think he would be even better, take his game to the next level if he added that element to his game.

16 hours ago, Nuke said:

Agree. Whick would be the perfect matchup for Elias? Leivo, Pettersson, Horvat?

I think Pettersson needs a line mate that's fast and like Brock earlier in the year speeding through the neutral zone. Seems to be the dead zone lately. AT least that's what I am seeing! Horvat tends to start skating as soon as he gets the puck. The defenders need to send the puck to Petey every time they touch the puck! Especially if the pass is open. The Canucks do not have any other dangerous threats to create plays from the neutral zone. I don't think I have seen one breakout pass from a defender that's created something,(unless Petey was involved) What I have seen a 100 times is the defender turn around at our blue line and totally mess up space and time. Lets just say if our defense was in the 94 Calgary series the Brown ahead to Bure pass that won it in OT would have been, Brown looks up and turns around back towards his own zone!

6 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Biega passed the puck out of the zone plenty tonight. The thing that's tough to analyze is when guys are tired and needing changes unless you're out there on the ice or analyze the game really critically. The only time he carried it is when Brock and Petey needed subs due to long shifts. And out of the four times he did it that game, they kept possession offensively three times. Better than the dump and change, giving away possession like we do all of the time when we lose. Watch him closely next game, he made lots of great breakout passes. Biega and Stech were very very good on breakout passes in dangerous situations tonight. 

Not only that but he was stellar along the boards. Not many offensive chances against when he was checking out there. 

True on Biega except he delays too long and the play closes before he makes that pass!

9 minutes ago, cory40 said:

I think Pettersson needs a line mate that's fast and like Brock earlier in the year speeding through the neutral zone. Seems to be the dead zone lately. AT least that's what I am seeing! Horvat tends to start skating as soon as he gets the puck. The defenders need to send the puck to Petey every time they touch the puck! Especially if the pass is open. The Canucks do not have any other dangerous threats to create plays from the neutral zone. I don't think I have seen one breakout pass from a defender that's created something,(unless Petey was involved) What I have seen a 100 times is the defender turn around at our blue line and totally mess up space and time. Lets just say if our defense was in the 94 Calgary series the Brown ahead to Bure pass that won it in OT would have been, Brown looks up and turns around back towards his own zone!

Petey's line played so well when Jake was on it for a couple games early on, he's a great fit with Petey, imo.  I'm not sure why Jake gets shafted by TG so much.

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Petey's line played so well when Jake was on it for a couple games early on, he's a great fit with Petey, imo.  I'm not sure why Jake gets shafted by TG so much.

That's a good point. I can't believe I never thought about Jake. He seems like the type of player you need with Petey. And teach him to get his feet moving the moment Petey touches the puck!

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

What was his stat the season before, pre injury i mean.

19 hours ago, Seinfeld said:

Horvat looks tired. Doesn’t have that pull away speed we saw in the first half of the season.

Boeser is way too lackadaisical with the puck. Combine that with his sub par skating, I’m worried about his upcoming contract and his actual worth besides scoring goals. You have to wonder about how much of a beneficiary he is of EP40. 

Are you currently residing in California? Must be tough having only 1 good team there now.

10 hours ago, spook007 said:

Hahaha in UK its 6pm and I’m loaded. In town listening to Sex Pistols... so happy for the boys last night, only to see negative posts about our future... 

Lovr where we heading. Absolutely love our future. :rolleyes:

Maybe we should draft more players named Johnny and Sid? :)

10 hours ago, guntrix said:

Except context is important. 

Horvat was a rookie who was figuring out how to play a 2-way game and was given very tough minutes. 

Gudbranson, now 27, is still trying to figure out how to defend. That grit though.

Cherry-picked stats leave out context. In your words, analyticzzzzz. 

Actually his 2nd year. And a particularly bad year for all the team analyticallyzzzz.

Archived