The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

gordon campbell in the news, alleged groper

Gurn

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/ex-premier-of-bc-accused-of-sex-assault-paper/ar-BBTEzdR?ocid=spartandhp

"

LONDON - A British newspaper says police in London are investigating an allegation of sexual assault made against former British Columbia premier Gordon Campbell.

The Daily Telegraph says Scotland Yard is investigating a complaint from a woman who was an employee at the Canadian High Commission when Campbell was high commissioner.

The newspaper says in a story published online on Friday that the complainant alleges she was groped in 2013 and filed a complaint with police in January.

The woman is named by the newspaper, but The Canadian Press does not identify alleged victims of sexual assault without their active consent.

The Metropolitan Police in London could not be reached for comment on Friday.

Campbell also could not be reached for comment but the Daily Telegraph says a spokesman for him says the alleged incident was investigated and dismissed.

"This complaint was transparently disclosed and became the subject of a full due diligence investigation at the time by the government of Canada and was found to be without merit," the newspaper quotes the unnamed spokesman as saying.

The newspaper says Scotland Yard issued a statement confirming it is investigating an allegation of sexual assault that occurred in 2013 after it was contacted by a 54-year-old woman on Jan. 3. The statement says the woman alleges she was sexually assaulted at an address in Grosvenor Square and that no arrests have been made as it continues its investigation.

The Canadian Press was not able to contact the woman quoted by the Daily Telegraph.

The Daily Telegraph says the woman alleges a "hand went up my backside" as she climbed the main staircase at Canada House on her way to a meeting.

In a statement, Global Affairs Canada said it cannot comment on specific allegations for privacy reasons.

"The government of Canada takes any allegations of sexual assault and harassment extremely seriously," the emailed statement said. "This kind of alleged misconduct in the workplace is absolutely unacceptable."

Campbell was premier of British Columbia from 2001 until 2011. He was appointed high commissioner in 2011 and left the diplomatic post in 2016."

Women can wrestle with this and don't always come forward.  Especially if it's on the job and dealing with people who may be viewed as "superiors".

There's a lot of shame and people do cast shadows of doubt.   So there's nothing discrediting her due to elapsed time but, at the same time, it's important that these things are looked at closely.  As it becomes "easier" to step out of those shadows and support is being generated through movements that say "this isn't ok", some women may feel empowered through that.

4 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

It should never take 6 years to file a complaint. An investigation may drag on for some time but filing a complaint takes no time especially in a country like England.

Sounds quite unusual to me.

Campbell also could not be reached for comment but the Daily Telegraph says a spokesman for him says the alleged incident was investigated and dismissed.

"This complaint was transparently disclosed and became the subject of a full due diligence investigation at the time by the government of Canada and was found to be without merit," the newspaper quotes the unnamed spokesman as saying.

sounds like she reported it when it happened but nothing was done and now she's reporting it again to a different group hoping for a different result. 

1 minute ago, LOL_dre said:

sounds like she reported it when it happened but nothing was done and now she's reporting it again to a different group hoping for a different result. 

Some times those "investigating" in to these things are too closely linked to those accused of them.  Will be interesting to learn the details...

I can attest to how women can struggle with this.

When I was a teenager I frequented a salon in the Richmond mall to have my hair done.   I was young.

The (I believe) owner of Italian Coiffures, "Mr. Guy" (was that even his real name?) started getting too friendly.  It made me uncomfortable...he'd wash my hair in the back and it seemed like he was enjoying it far too much.  But I was strong and confident and didn't feel like it was a threat.  Then one day it escalated and was a direct hit...creep was rubbing himself up against me as I sat there, frozen.  So many things run through your mind:  "is this happening?".  You struggle for instant clarity in that...and I got it.  I immediately removed my arm from the armrest and he took it and put it back on there.  I ran out of there and told my (then boyfriend), who went in to address it.   Basically tore a strip off him, but that was the end of it.

Nothing more was done.  It wasn't apparent that it was a crime to me...so I just never went back there.  But, in hindsight, I wonder what this predator got away with.

Don't judge women if they don't come forward...right away or ever.   It's a cloud of confusion that is just now starting to clear, with distinct lines being drawn in what is appropriate.  This certainly was not. 

26 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Women can wrestle with this and don't always come forward.  Especially if it's on the job and dealing with people who may be viewed as "superiors".

There's a lot of shame and people do cast shadows of doubt.   So there's nothing discrediting her due to elapsed time but, at the same time, it's important that these things are looked at closely.  As it becomes "easier" to step out of those shadows and support is being generated through movements that say "this isn't ok", some women may feel empowered through that.

my wife is an engineer, working up through a very male dominated area, and yeah, she's told me a few stories of crap she and her colleagues dealt with. People have to come forward even if its hard to prove. I'm happy for my daughter that she's growing up in a time where people might actually believe her. 

16 minutes ago, LOL_dre said:

Well I wouldn't say nothing was done. She reported the allegation and it triggered an investigation by the government of Canada. I understand the result was not satisfactory and she later sought a different venue to seek justice which is her right. Much like appealing a court ruling.

It's perfectly reasonable for a victim to need time to come forward. Sometimes it may take decades. That doesn't diminish their claims. However, the complainant did come forward years ago when the incident originally happened. So it is odd that an appeal of sorts has taken so long to be filed. Perhaps the original findings left her further traumatized and disillusioned and it took her until now to be ready for round 2. That's all perfectly reasonable.

My point is that from a legal standpoint it's better to make your appeal without letting too much time lapse. 4-5 years (my assumption) is a long time. Legally speaking she would have been better off filing her complaint with Scotland Yard shortly after the government of Canada's findings were released.

14 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

It's perfectly reasonable for a victim to need time to come forward. Sometimes it may take decades.

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

It took 6 years to file a complaint?

55 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

It should never take 6 years to file a complaint. An investigation may drag on for some time but filing a complaint takes no time especially in a country like England.

Could you please pick a stance on this, and perhaps stick with it for awhile?:unsure:

1 hour ago, gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/ex-premier-of-bc-accused-of-sex-assault-paper/ar-BBTEzdR?ocid=spartandhp

"

LONDON - A British newspaper says police in London are investigating an allegation of sexual assault made against former British Columbia premier Gordon Campbell.

The Daily Telegraph says Scotland Yard is investigating a complaint from a woman who was an employee at the Canadian High Commission when Campbell was high commissioner.

The newspaper says in a story published online on Friday that the complainant alleges she was groped in 2013 and filed a complaint with police in January.

The woman is named by the newspaper, but The Canadian Press does not identify alleged victims of sexual assault without their active consent.

The Metropolitan Police in London could not be reached for comment on Friday.

The newspaper says Scotland Yard issued a statement confirming it is investigating an allegation of sexual assault that occurred in 2013 after it was contacted by a 54-year-old woman on Jan. 3. The statement says the woman alleges she was sexually assaulted at an address in Grosvenor Square and that no arrests have been made as it continues its investigation.

The Canadian Press was not able to contact the woman quoted by the Daily Telegraph.

The Daily Telegraph says the woman alleges a "hand went up my backside" as she climbed the main staircase at Canada House on her way to a meeting.

In a statement, Global Affairs Canada said it cannot comment on specific allegations for privacy reasons.

"The government of Canada takes any allegations of sexual assault and harassment extremely seriously," the emailed statement said. "This kind of alleged misconduct in the workplace is absolutely unacceptable."

Campbell was premier of British Columbia from 2001 until 2011. He was appointed high commissioner in 2011 and left the diplomatic post in 2016."

#IBelieveHer

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Wow victim shaming ... really ??

5 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Maybe read the entire thread before responding. It's not even 1 page long. :)

Conviction rates for sexual assaults are super low 

many women struggle with pursuing charges 

i can understand how a victim delays pursuing justice 

must be super hard on the victim to move forward and be willing to stand up and proceed

I would not be surprized if this was true,some POLITICIANS are a strange breed of human.

It takes alot of courage for a woman to come forward and sometimes they are not believed, just look what happened to that poor lady ‎Christine Blasey Ford,in the Brett K. case it was shameful what happened to her,and yet they allowed a guy like Brett K. to become a Supreme Court Judge,SYSTEM IS UNDOUBTABLY BROKEN.

Here in B.C. we have quite a few premiers going out of office in disgrace,and some that should have been arrested for leaving the people of B.C .in massive debt.

Archived