The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anti-vaccination, whats old is new again

JM_

Fascinating look back here on the anti-vaxxer movement. Apparently there was quite the push back against small pox vaccination back in the day. 

It does show you how people can get caught up in social phenomenon to the point where they risk their kids lives. No one today would think protecting your kid from small pox is a bad idea. And yet, we currently have a measles outbreak in BC. 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/16/health/anti-vaccine-movement-history-pushback-intl/index.html

3 hours ago, Qwags said:

I think it should be a law that if you want to your children to attend a public school, or any school for that matter, they must be vaccinated.

it is if you want to work in a healthcare setting, totally agree with schools. 

Its really amazing to see some of the same arguments used 150 years ago come back to today. You'd think this example would give some of the anti-vexers some perspective that maybe, just maybe, they've got things wrong. I suspect not. 

• Cheers 1

Anti-vaxxers  remind me a lot of the Trump base.

They run to fringe websites spewing alternative facts delivered with a large dose of fear mongering. 

Next step is to jam their fingers in their ears and say 'la la la, I can't hear you' when presented with logic or science.

Plus, never mind the autism concerns... the world is over populated as it is, we need everyone to get on board for when the secret sterilisation program is initiated. We will also need to sneak in a micro chip for mind control and tracking.             :ph34r::frantic::lol:

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, gurn said:

Once apon a time a doctor or group of doctors made a mistake, thus everything they do now must be a mistake, right?

I like how the dad of the 3 kids who contracted measles said doctors were saying there may be a link to autism. I'm sure he wasn't at all influenced by any celebrities who think they know more about disease prevention than say a doctor.

19 hours ago, luckylager said:

My daughter's daycare didn't accept unvaccinated kids unless their immune system was legitimately compromised.

Children who are unable to be vaccinated because of legit health issues are the children who deserve to be protected by heard immunity.

Both of my kids received every vaccine and subsequent booster shot. They're healthy, athletic and good students. Best of all, I never worry about them getting measles, mumps, rubella, hep etc.. all those other nasty, potentially deadly diseases.

If a parent neglects to vaccinate their children they should have to pay for any related healthcare costs incurred from their negligence. Like if your kid gets measles - &^@# you, you're paying for everything because that $&!# is on you. All your stupid fault, moron.

My wife runs a small day home. She had a family that really wanted their kids to be in my wife's care....but my wife makes them fill out a questionnaire before acceptance and one of the questions was 'Is your child vaccinated?' to which the answer was no. My wife turned them down instantly. The woman was crushed but my wife explained that she can't put our daughter and other kids at risk.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, gurn said:

Once apon a time a doctor or group of doctors made a mistake, thus everything they do now must be a mistake, right?

Once upon a time, a doctor falsified data for a paper and claimed there was a link between vaccines and autism. Then Jenny McCarthy got loud about it now there's a measles outbreak in the Pacific Northwest. 

On 2/18/2019 at 9:27 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

Fascinating look back here on the anti-vaxxer movement. Apparently there was quite the push back against small pox vaccination back in the day. 

It does show you how people can get caught up in social phenomenon to the point where they risk their kids lives. No one today would think protecting your kid from small pox is a bad idea. And yet, we currently have a measles outbreak in BC. 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/16/health/anti-vaccine-movement-history-pushback-intl/index.html

the stupidity of anti-vaxxers is mind boggling.  I get being skeptical and concerned, but for god's sake, do a little research and understand what is good information and bad information.  

• Upvote 1

On 2/18/2019 at 10:10 AM, goalie13 said:

At times, the whole anti-vax movement seems like a joke that went too far.

It's like the whole dihydrogen monoxide movement.  If you only tell people all the bad things dihydrogen monoxide is in, and can do, they want to ban it.

I just finished a lesson on evaluating websites for good and bad information and used dihydrogen monoxide as my faux site.

25 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

I like how the dad of the 3 kids who contracted measles said doctors were saying there may be a link to autism. I'm sure he wasn't at all influenced by any celebrities who think they know more about disease prevention than say a doctor.

Yeah, I saw that and I was wondering what "doctors" he was talking about, since the Andrew Wakefield was barred from practicing medicine, after he was found to have published a flawed "study" on the link between MMR vaccine and Autism.

Other than that, the only people who still promote this stupid "theory" are idiot celebrities and the idiot in the oval office.

If I sound bitter, it's because I am. Not only are the morons who buy into this stuff endangering their kids, they're endangering other people's kids while they're at it.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

the stupidity of anti-vaxxers is mind boggling.  I get being skeptical and concerned, but for god's sake, do a little research and understand what is good information and bad information.  

I can understand being a new parent and freaked out, I had some near panic attacks a couple of times when we brought our kid home :P But to find it reasonable that some outlier person has "the answer" and all of what we have learned - and seen work - in 150+ years of vaccination science is wrong, it must be a such a height of uncertainty for some people that they can't see clearly. Thats whats really scary, how do you reason with them? 

CBC ran a story on the guy who brought measles back to BC recently with his kids (he got them travel shots for other things and not measles :blink:) and it only seems to have dawned on him that he made a mistake once his kid got sick. I mean, talk about an impossible mentality to reason with. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

41 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I can understand being a new parent and freaked out, I had some near panic attacks a couple of times when we brought our kid home :P But to find it reasonable that some outlier person has "the answer" and all of what we have learned - and seen work - in 150+ years of vaccination science is wrong, it must be a such a height of uncertainty for some people that they can't see clearly. Thats whats really scary, how do you reason with them? 

CBC ran a story on the guy who brought measles back to BC recently with his kids (he got them travel shots for other things and not measles :blink:) and it only seems to have dawned on him that he made a mistake once his kid got sick. I mean, talk about an impossible mentality to reason with. 

From what I understand, he had eventually changed his stance on vaccines but I guess never got around to catching his kids up.  My class recently got a their vaccines.  I was surprised at how many didn't.  Not that they were anti-vaxxers, it was more of an apathy thing.  (Still no excuse, but at least the Autism myth is dying).

• Upvote 1