The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anti-vaccination, whats old is new again

JM_

1 minute ago, 406in604 said:

I will be sceptical, thanks for your concern. 

As is your right.

FWIW, I think people that don't bother with the flu shot are nowhere near as bad as people who don't get their children the MMR inoculation, because of a widely debunked theory being promoted by some random celebrity....

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

As is your right.

FWIW, I think people that don't bother with the flu shot are nowhere near as bad as people who don't get their children the MMR inoculation, because of a widely debunked theory being promoted by some random celebrity....

Celebrity is an absolute stretch. 

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

As is your right.

Personally I ignored the flu shot for years. My take was I am reasonably healthy individual and there are people with compromised or underdeveloped immune systems that need it more than I do. I rarely got the flu when I had the shot and rarely got the flu when I didn't have the shot. But perspective in life changed when I had a kid and I decided after much debate with the wife to get one again. But you better damn well believe I'm taking my kid to get all their shots and be kept up to date with boosters until they can decide if they want to continue or not.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I thought you were talking about the boobs girl that dated moron Carrey. Why do people listen to celebrities about anything? They are so disconnected from reality.

19 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Carrey, Elfman, Masterson, Sheen, De Niro, Lewis, Alley etc. were part of that group.

Hollywood actors need to realize that we watch them for their acting abilities not their scientific expertise.

There's a fair sized list of their opinions that should also be ignored.

Just now, 406in604 said:

Research, blood tests, health, age, gender, hair colour, body odour, feet size, eye colour, name,  date of birth

I don't understand, but that's not new for me.

Can you explain a bit? 

Body odour for example? how would that play into a decision to vaccinate your child? 

36 minutes ago, 406in604 said:

I thought you were talking about the boobs girl that dated moron Carrey. Why do people listen to celebrities about anything? They are so disconnected from reality.

It's a good question. I wish I had the answer.

You're correct about Jenny McCarthy. She started the whole thing by making the claim. (I think it was on Oprah) However, I think you might be conflating "celebrity" with who we think deserves to be a celebrity. McCarthy is a perfect example, as is Rob Schneider, who is also on the anti-vaccer list. The fact is, we know who these people are, so even if they might not deserve to be "celebrities", they are nonetheless.

I saw a story online about one of the guys from "My 600 lb Life" passing away at age 29. The article referred to him as a "star" of the show, which only goes to show that the word "star", exactly like the word "celebrity" has completely lost it's meaning, in this age of 24/7 TV and hundreds of channels.

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's a good question. I wish I had the answer.

You're correct about Jenny McCarthy. She started the whole thing by making the claim. (I think it was on Oprah) However, I think you might be conflating "celebrity" with who we think deserves to be a celebrity. McCarthy is a perfect example, as is Rob Schneider, who is also on the anti-vaccer list. The fact is, we know who these people are, so even if they might not deserve to be "celebrities", they are nonetheless.

I saw a story online about one of the guys from "My 600 lb Life" passing away at age 29. The article referred to him as a "star" of the show, which only goes to show that the word "star", exactly like the word "celebrity" has completely lost it's meaning, in this age of 24/7 TV and hundreds of channels.

I would call DeNiro a political activist, McCarthy an ex B lister, Schneider is about the same. Clint Eastwood is a star. 

13 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I don't understand, but that's not new for me.

Can you explain a bit? 

Body odour for example? how would that play into a decision to vaccinate your child? 

A lot of it is a joke, with no ability for tonality on here. However, health, blood tests, research and age are all factors that I would consider. By the way, I have children and they have most of their vaccinations 

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

FWIW, I think people that don't bother with the flu shot are nowhere near as bad as people who don't get their children the MMR inoculation,

Thanks because I don't bother with flu shots and don't feel like I am compromising other people's health because of that.  If I had to chose which is more likely to have adverse effects a vaccine or a flu shot I'd say a flu shot.  I don't get them because I think they can compromise your immune system, even in a microscopic way.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 406in604 said:

I would call DeNiro a political activist, McCarthy an ex B lister, Schneider is about the same. Clint Eastwood is a star. 

Personally, I'd put DeNiro ahead of Eastwood, but we can certainly agree to disagree on that one.

Also, Schneider never got close to the B list for me.....^_^

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, 406in604 said:

A lot of it is a joke, with no ability for tonality on here. However, health, blood tests, research and age are all factors that I would consider. By the way, I have children and they have most of their vaccinations 

Thanks, I figured you must be joking.

I'm not a breeder and wont be. So, I was just curious.

You know, when I asked if you would vaccinate your kids....you could have just said yes as you actually do get them their shots.

4 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Thanks because I don't bother with flu shots and don't feel like I am compromising other people's health because of that.  If I had to chose which is more likely to have adverse effects a vaccine or a flu shot I'd say a flu shot.  I don't get them because I think they can compromise your immune system, even in a microscopic way.

TBH, I'm a bit inconsistent with Flu shots as well, mostly because I haven't had the flu in years. It probably has to do with the fact that I'm getting close to 60 and older people get it much less often than younger people.

It certainly follows that infants and toddlers are at a much higher risk than adults and not immunizing children is irresponsible at best.

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Thanks, I figured you must be joking.

I'm not a breeder and wont be. So, I was just curious.

You know, when I asked if you would vaccinate your kids....you could have just said yes as you actually do get them their shots.

Personal choice, or are you just ugly? B)

• Haha 2