Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

Luke Schenn | #2 | D

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

If we could get Tryamkin back, there would be no need to show him Pronger videos anymore; just let Schenn mentor him.

 

I think Schenn's refound game would suit Tryamkin's development much better than old illegal Pronger's game; (how he got away with everything he did is beyond comprehension).

Always thought it was a missed opportunity that Guddy was hurt during Tryamkin's time in Van. He could have helped. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

If we could get Tryamkin back, there would be no need to show him Pronger videos anymore; 

Yeah can’t really blame Nik for bailing, I never liked Pronger either. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is exactly it.  No reason not to sign him at a low value contract. Nothing wrong with solid depth, and he is an excellent depth guy who could handle playoff duty if needed. I feel he is redundant on the roster if we ever get Tryamkin back, but as it stands right now he is our only defenceman who can really punish.  (Edler is somewhat physical, but not at the same level).

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Name: Luke Schenn

Age: 29.

Position: Defenceman.

Career stats: GP: 734, G: 30, A: 115, Points: 145, PIM: 545

Contract status: Unrestricted free agent; coming off a one-year deal he signed with the Ducks last summer for $800,000.

How 2018-19 went: After suddenly finding himself skating with Quinn Hughes for the super-rookie’s debut in the NHL, Schenn was brutally honest in how amazed he was to even be in that spot.

 

“I’ve been given an opportunity in Vancouver I wasn’t sure I would get and just play as well as I can, leave everything on the table and not have any regrets going into the summer,” he told reporters on March 28, after the Canucks beat the Kings 3-2.

 

After a disastrous start to the year with the Ducks, Schenn seemed to find a home with the Canucks to close the season.

There’s little doubt this is not how the rugged blue-liner expected his 11th season in the NHL to go. Sure, he was earning a salary far below what he once commanded from the Toronto Maple Leafs, but he signed with the Anaheim Ducks expecting to play.

 

Things quickly turned sour in Orange County, and while Schenn didn’t want to get into details, it was clear that he was told in no short order by former Ducks coach Randy Carlyle that maybe he should just quit the game altogether.

 

Schenn didn’t heed those words; instead he went to the AHL’s San Diego Gulls and found a believer there in coach Dallas Eakins.

Former minor-league teammates Max Jones and Luke Schenn (right) get reunited during a Feb. 25, 2019 NHL game at Rogers Arena.

Luke Schenn (right) has been an imposing defender for the Canucks. DARRYL DYCK / THE CANADIAN PRESS

When the Canucks added him, the original plan was for Schenn to play veteran mentor in Utica, but injuries to Chris Tanev and Alex Edler in mid-February saw him recalled to the NHL.

Even then, coach Travis Green would later admit, it wasn’t clear how long Schenn would stick around — or if he’d even play.

When he finally did, he put on a display that was simple and straightforward: he played a physical game and then proved to be solid in moving the puck up ice.

There was simply no fuss to his game.


His performance was everything you want in a sixth defenceman. And it’s clear that Schenn is more than happy at this point to play the role.

He said as the 2018-19 season wound down that clearing waivers and being demoted to the AHL in November shook him.

“Am I ever going to get to play in the NHL again?” he said he asked himself at the time.


As good-natured and conversational as they come, Schenn set himself to work. By the end of the season it looked like he’d built himself a new playing home in Vancouver.

 

With a dearth of depth on the right side, the Canucks look set to re-sign him as a third-pairing defenceman.

 

Greatest strength: Physical play.

Greatest weakness: Foot speed.

Is he trade bait? Well, he was acquired in a trade, but that was as much about Anaheim not wanting to add a contract when they traded for Michael Del Zotto as anything.

The big question: Who will be his left-side partner next fall?

Luke Schenn also did a lot of extensive work with Adam Oates to improve his stick handling. At times you even saw Luke become aggressive in the rush.

 

He isn't flashy at all and can sometimes be flat footed but man since watching his game in Toronto and Philly, he looks like a completely different player.  I wouldn't mind having him around as a depth guy for years to come.  Rubbing shoulders next to this guy on the bench will do wonders for our young core.  His resiliency is what you want in a player.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edler - Hughes

Hutton - Stecher

Juolevi - Schenn

Tryamkin*

 

Tanev?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Edler - Hughes

Hutton - Stecher

Juolevi - Schenn

Tryamkin*

 

Tanev?

If Hutton and Stecher are the Canucks 2nd D pairing next season JB has failed and has not done what he said he was going to do, which is to rebuild the defense. That would be absolutely horrible.

 

Hutton and Stecher are ok 3rd pairing D but that is about it.

 

And tryamkin is not coming back next season. He is under contract.....some people just need to get over him lol.

  • Hydration 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

If Hutton and Stecher are the Canucks 2nd D pairing next season JB has failed and has not done what he said he was going to do, which is to rebuild the defense. That would be absolutely horrible.

 

Hutton and Stecher are ok 3rd pairing D but that is about it.

 

And tryamkin is not coming back next season. He is under contract.....some people just need to get over him lol.

Agreed. That defense isn't an improvement at all over last season. Sure it's younger, but essentially the deck chairs have just been shuffled, with only Juolevi being the "new blood" on the corps.

 

I'm thinking, based on what Benning has said, that at least two (possibly three) defensemen who were on the team last season won't be back.

 

If I'm to guess as to who, I would say that Edler, Tanev, and Hutton might be the three not to return.

 

I can't see Benning bringing Edler back, if an NMC is a focal part of the deal from Alex's camp. Benning will want to ensure that he has the players he wants safe for the expansion draft protected. Using one of the spots for a 34 year old (when the draft happens) player wouldn't be a good idea. Edler, if he truly wants to stay, won't demand a clause in his contract, as he shouldn't get it, unless he goes on the cheap (which he won't). Simply put, he's a very good defenseman still, but he's not so vital to the team, that losing him this summer will kill the team's chances next season.

 

Same goes for Tanev. He's been a tactician on the back end, using brains to beat the average forward. However, he's also a serious injury magnet, who doesn't really provide much in the way of offense and lacks the size to be effective against larger forwards in the league, and the speed to be effective against smaller slippery forwards.

 

Hutton has improved from the season previous, but is still a decent third pairing defenseman at best. Unless he takes another step forward significantly in progression, which at this point seems unlikely, it would be best to get some return for him, most likely in a package deal.

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Agreed. That defense isn't an improvement at all over last season. Sure it's younger, but essentially the deck chairs have just been shuffled, with only Juolevi being the "new blood" on the corps.

 

I'm thinking, based on what Benning has said, that at least two (possibly three) defensemen who were on the team last season won't be back.

 

If I'm to guess as to who, I would say that Edler, Tanev, and Hutton might be the three not to return.

 

I can't see Benning bringing Edler back, if an NMC is a focal part of the deal from Alex's camp. Benning will want to ensure that he has the players he wants safe for the expansion draft protected. Using one of the spots for a 34 year old (when the draft happens) player wouldn't be a good idea. Edler, if he truly wants to stay, won't demand a clause in his contract, as he shouldn't get it, unless he goes on the cheap (which he won't). Simply put, he's a very good defenseman still, but he's not so vital to the team, that losing him this summer will kill the team's chances next season.

 

Same goes for Tanev. He's been a tactician on the back end, using brains to beat the average forward. However, he's also a serious injury magnet, who doesn't really provide much in the way of offense and lacks the size to be effective against larger forwards in the league, and the speed to be effective against smaller slippery forwards.

 

Hutton has improved from the season previous, but is still a decent third pairing defenseman at best. Unless he takes another step forward significantly in progression, which at this point seems unlikely, it would be best to get some return for him, most likely in a package deal.

 

I agree with all of this except the take on Edler. I think he will sign for either 2 years at $7-8m or for 4-5 years at around $4m, in both cases with a NMC. He'll have to compromise on either term or money. The term at $4m is worth it IMO, so both deals are good for the Canucks even though it's obviously not ideal with the NMC for the expansion draft (although right now OJ is the only D that really needs protection so still room for 1 FA).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, J-P said:

I agree with all of this except the take on Edler. I think he will sign for either 2 years at $7-8m or for 4-5 years at around $4m, in both cases with a NMC. He'll have to compromise on either term or money. The term at $4m is worth it IMO, so both deals are good for the Canucks even though it's obviously not ideal with the NMC for the expansion draft (although right now OJ is the only D that really needs protection so still room for 1 FA).

I think the chances of Edler having a NMC that extends past the expansion draft are about the same as the chances of Schenn getting an NMC. Like zero.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edler / E. Karlsson

Hughes / top 4 R d via trade

Hutton / Stecher

Schenn

 

For the top 4 right D via trade we have a bunch of mediocre players to trade (Goldy, Sutter, Granlund, Tanev) plus 2020 draft picks. If the Canucks cannot get a have decent top 4 younger right D then maybe keep Tanev for a bit until they can one (hopefully JB could find one though).

 

- let OJ get some AHL games and then let him take Hutton's spot

 

That is a legit 1st pairing D. Something the Canucks have not had forever. Hughes and a youngish top 4 right D (maybe a bigger guy that can skate) would make a good pairing and then a half decent bottom pair. Could sub in Schenn in tougher games. Hopefully OJ shows he is a player by a couple months into the season.

 

Of course this is easier said than done. Edler needs to sign without a NMC for the 3rd year. Could we even get Karlsson? Could we get a youngish top 4 right D via trade (25-28 years old)?

 

That would be a good D by November 

 

Edler / Erik Karlsson

Hughes / big top 4 right D via trade (Subban, Ristolainen, etc)

Juolevi / Stecher

Schenn

 

Just spitballing lol.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2019 at 4:30 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

Edler / E. Karlsson

Hughes / top 4 R d via trade

Hutton / Stecher

Schenn

 

For the top 4 right D via trade we have a bunch of mediocre players to trade (Goldy, Sutter, Granlund, Tanev) plus 2020 draft picks. If the Canucks cannot get a have decent top 4 younger right D then maybe keep Tanev for a bit until they can one (hopefully JB could find one though).

 

- let OJ get some AHL games and then let him take Hutton's spot

 

That is a legit 1st pairing D. Something the Canucks have not had forever. Hughes and a youngish top 4 right D (maybe a bigger guy that can skate) would make a good pairing and then a half decent bottom pair. Could sub in Schenn in tougher games. Hopefully OJ shows he is a player by a couple months into the season.

 

Of course this is easier said than done. Edler needs to sign without a NMC for the 3rd year. Could we even get Karlsson? Could we get a youngish top 4 right D via trade (25-28 years old)?

 

That would be a good D by November 

 

Edler / Erik Karlsson

Hughes / big top 4 right D via trade (Subban, Ristolainen, etc)

Juolevi / Stecher

Schenn

 

Just spitballing lol.

Risto to fill the partner with Hughes, or will Woo be ready soon enough?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Luke just compared Bo to ROR.  He said Bo is a guy you win with.  We should NEVER trade Bo!  

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.