The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luke Schenn | #2 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

On 6/23/2019 at 2:23 PM, -AJ- said:

I think Schenn wants to see his value on the open market, but I think he'll find that only the Canucks cared about his mini-revival at the end of the season and his best offer will be with Vancouver.

I hope you're right and he comes back.  Like you said, I think he has more value here then on the open market.  Regardless, even if he gets paid for that value here, it should still be at a reasonable cap number. Maybe 4 to 5 million over two years?

1 hour ago, Rodishred said:

I hope you're right and he comes back.  Like you said, I think he has more value here then on the open market.  Regardless, even if he gets paid for that value here, it should still be at a reasonable cap number. Maybe 4 to 5 million over two years?

I'm not sure if you're joking, but Schenn isn't worth more than 1.25M per year and that's being generous. I'd give him 1.0 or 1.1M.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm not sure if you're joking, but Schenn isn't worth more than 1.25M per year and that's being generous. I'd give him 1.0 or 1.1M.

Unfortunately I wasn't joking... But was wondering what he's worth, hence the question mark.  Thanks for the correction.  Was wondering though... If he is retained and they want him paired with Hughes.  Wouldn't they end up being 2nd pair (because of Hughes?).   If so, then low end second pairing $?  Or third pairing $ as you suggest?

• Like 1

Just now, Rodishred said:

Unfortunately I wasn't joking... But was wondering what he's worth, hence the question mark.  Thanks for the correction.  Was wondering though... If he is retained and they want him paired with Hughes.  Wouldn't they end up being 2nd pair (because of Hughes?).   If so, then low end second pairing $?  Or third pairing $ as you suggest?

Schenn is looking to see if there is a team that will give him a two year deal.  Likely the cap cost will be the same we are offering though.  It's that extra term Schenn will want.  He's like Schaller was last year.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Schenn is looking to see if there is a team that will give him a two year deal.  Likely the cap cost will be the same we are offering though.  It's that extra term Schenn will want.  He's like Schaller was last year.  

Schenn was smart. Played his a.... off  in order to sign a deal with some term....  Could be his last contract in the NHL so the guy wants to make some bank....

Can't blame him.     This deal may be the last deal he gets with coin in the show..   Next deal for him may well be in the UK or France playing for beer money and great looking ladiies....

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Kinda got that...  I obviously don't have a clue of what I'm talking about! Thanks for the 'edgimication'.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

agent testing the market I'm sure. I'd like to see him back too. The Myers thing has to resolve first and then maybe Nyquist and we'll see whats left over. 

I think it's equally a likely Schenn wants to see where he fits. If Benning adds a couple, better right D's  and say Benn or similar on the left, there might not be a 'fit' for him here either.

I'm sure Benning has a lot of balls in the air, Schenn being one of them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Rodishred said:

Kinda got that...  I obviously don't have a clue of what I'm talking about! Thanks for the 'edgimication'.

Join the club of CDCer's who know little of what they are talking about.  I'm club leader!  There is an initiation fee though.  Do you have a cat?  :shock:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

It really comes down to role and term I think. I do have a feeling Schenn will re-sign here but both parties are probably waiting as it sounds like Benning is going after a larger fish on the right side. 

Tanev
Stecher
Biega
Rafferty 

If we end up getting Myers it might mean no space for Schenn. Don't forget Biega actually had an awesome season as well and Rafferty got solid reviews. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rodishred said:

Schenn was struggling to even hold down an NHL job before arriving in Vancouver, so I think 3rd pairing money is the most he can hope for.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

It really comes down to role and term I think. I do have a feeling Schenn will re-sign here but both parties are probably waiting as it sounds like Benning is going after a larger fish on the right side. 

Tanev
Stecher
Biega
Rafferty 

If we end up getting Myers it might mean no space for Schenn. Don't forget Biega actually had an awesome season as well and Rafferty got solid reviews. 

Pretty sure, one way or another, Tanev's out. Whether that's this summer or later this season...

I find it interesting how his career side-tracked.. he went from being a future Toronto captain lol and Burkie pumping his tires to 300% to barely cracking the lineup with the Canucks.. 

Whereas his younger brother is already a Stanley Cup winner.. 

Unfair expectations are the worst.. 

Edited by drummer4now

6 hours ago, Rodishred said:

Doesn't matter if he plays with Hughes or not imo, he is a 3rd pairing and should be paid like one. That doesn't mean Hughes won't get the extra minutes on the pp.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

If this guy was a bit grateful for the opportunity to ressurect his career, he would've accepted a 1-year, $1.5M by now....  he's probably holding out for 2-year, $4M.... 

Yup, he wants term.  I think there will be a team that gives him two years.  I hope it’s us. 

Edited by Alflives
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Ew guys, no.  I loved what schenner brought but he's slow as molasses.  He's a one year contract type of player at best, at this point of his career, for close to minimum salary

Agreed.  Don't think it would be wise to give a borderline AHL / NHL player a 2 year deal.    These kinds of guys are emergency type players on 1 mil per one year deals.....

54 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Ew guys, no.  I loved what schenner brought but he's slow as molasses.  He's a one year contract type of player at best, at this point of his career, for close to minimum salary

Go back and read some of the posts from game nights..

Luke was getting great comments on his legwork, foot speed and gap coverage.

I dare I say it on here., a better Defence man than Hutton.

Luke brings a larger game, is a presence, a force, and according to Boeser, a fantastic teammate who had his eye out on EP and Hughes. 

Vocal,

• Upvote 2