The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luke Schenn | #2 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

On 2/26/2019 at 11:16 AM, aGENT said:

Schenn should not be in our starting 6 next year if Benning's doing things right IMO. 7th/8th...maybe. And they won't have Juolevi sitting in the press box.

Sign an inexpensive left D UFA to compete with Sautner/Brisebois/Juolevi for the final/spare left D slots. 

Possibly move Hutton (+?) for an upgrade at LW (pending drafting one). 

Bring in Hughes and sign one of Karlsson/Myers. If Hutton's retained, I'd probably keep him with Stecher on our 2nd pair.

Look to move Tanev at some point in his expiring year (when he's not hurt! :lol:) and slide Hughes to the right and recall Juolevi.

Agreed. Juolevi should be stewing it up in the AHL and let him develop with big minutes. When there's injuries, he'll be the number 1 callup.

Unless Juolevi blows the socks off in training camp, which is possible considering he is taking time off to nurse and be 200 percent ready, he's likely AHL bound for the time being.

• Cheers 1

At the risk of making this appear like we are delving into the personal lives of players and their families...

Schenn and his spouse (Jeska Peczek - more info can be found just by Googling it) married in Kelowna.

I believe that if Schenn is motivated to stay in Vancouver, this would be one of the major reasons, otherwise he'll be buried in the AHL. Players have ambitions and Schenn could step up.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

One thing I like about Schenn is that he keeps things simple. He doesn't try to do too much offensively, but does his job defensively. He's also a pretty hefty player and clears the crease well. I'm sure Markstrom appreciates that. I'm happy for him that he's getting this chance. It was only one game so far, but if he keeps playing well, responsible, and makes a difference keeping the puck out of our zone, why not keep him up?

I know Edler is the "big guy" on D, but I kind of wish we traded him at the TDL. Edler is going to get 3-4 years I'm sure, and that may cause an issue once the Ds start coming up. Edler misses a lot of time each year, sop how much will he actually play in 3-4 years time? I guess we'll see what his next contract looks like.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Luke has a audition to earn a deal for next year.  Alot more than he had 2 months ago.  He wont likely get another and all he has to do is keep things simple and be physical.  

He could be a great reclamation project that addresses the reason Guddy was traded for in the first place.  We need some vets that can be stable partners for our young guys.  We need some physical defense men and we aren't going to break the bank 9n Schenn.  

Hope he can make the most of this opportunity.  

• Upvote 2

I know it has only been a few games but so far Schenn makes less mistakes than Guddy by a bit. And he can hit if needed and makes better passes.

We went from paying 4m from a 3rd pairing Guddy to paying 800k for a 3rd pairing schenn.

Very good trade imo.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Great outlet pass that led Eriksson's goal that jump started the team to a W.

When the defense can make simple smart passes out of the Dzone, it makes life so much more easier, and I think Schenn has been a stabilizing force since Guddy was dealt. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2019 at 6:50 PM, NUCKER67 said:

One thing I like about Schenn is that he keeps things simple. He doesn't try to do too much offensively, but does his job defensively. He's also a pretty hefty player and clears the crease well. I'm sure Markstrom appreciates that. I'm happy for him that he's getting this chance. It was only one game so far, but if he keeps playing well, responsible, and makes a difference keeping the puck out of our zone, why not keep him up?

I know Edler is the "big guy" on D, but I kind of wish we traded him at the TDL. Edler is going to get 3-4 years I'm sure, and that may cause an issue once the Ds start coming up. Edler misses a lot of time each year, sop how much will he actually play in 3-4 years time? I guess we'll see what his next contract looks like.

Edler was injured at the TDL. Couldn’t be moved for actual or greater value.

On 3/6/2019 at 10:36 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Great outlet pass that led Eriksson's goal that jump started the team to a W.

When the defense can make simple smart passes out of the Dzone, it makes life so much more easier, and I think Schenn has been a stabilizing force since Guddy was dealt. 

He's been great positionally and like you said tough around the crease. I actually think he's stronger than Guddy in that department. Guddy would battle infront of the net and always loose his man. Schenn just physically over powers guys in front and they can't break clean from him. Also behind the net he can block guys off effectively as well. Plus his quick puck movement and simple passing has really been a surprise. His foot speed is slow but he is playing sound positionally and is aware of the threats he needs to eliminate on the ice, so never seems to get caught letting players fly by him ala Guddy. I'm all for re-signing the big guy!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

He's been great positionally and like you said tough around the crease. I actually think he's stronger than Guddy in that department. Guddy would battle infront of the net and always loose his man. Schenn just physically over powers guys in front and they can't break clean from him. Also behind the net he can block guys off effectively as well. Plus his quick puck movement and simple passing has really been a surprise. His foot speed is slow but he is playing sound positionally and is aware of the threats he needs to eliminate on the ice, so never seems to get caught letting players fly by him ala Guddy. I'm all for re-signing the big guy!

I am all for re-signing Schenn as well but, as others have said, for depth only.  I have liked Schenn's game but it's hard to see him in the top-6 if the Canucks are truly in the market to revamp their D.  Ideally, Schenn would stay with the team as a 7th or 8th D.  If Schenn is kept in that role though, then I guess a question to ask Canuck fans is whether they would be fine with demoting Biega.  If the Canucks carry 2 extra D all year then it might be a non-issue, but I'm not sure if they would want to carry two RHD (even if they have very different styles of game).

Schenn has been able to provide some stability on D which has been really nice to see.  I would say that he can probably fill-in the top-6 for spot duty throughout a season and can probably fill in during extended stretches with inevitable injuries, but there are probably better options to play in the top-6 (if the Canucks sign a UFA or two) consistently until such time that Schenn outplays them.

I think Schenn has a good chance to do enough in his time with the Canucks to generate interest from other teams so, whatever the case may be, he should have NHL opportunities next season.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

He's looked like a player out there for us, he'll never be the fastest guy but maybe he'll win a contract. Wouldn't be a bad depth guy to have around given he can play a physical game on the cheap and keep his head above water.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Loved Schenn’s game last night!

C35272E3-ED92-4E0E-A25D-CD061048CC61.jpeg

He was absolutely crushing guys.

Loved seeing that. 

If he sticks around and gets an extension he could become a fan favorite if he keeps it up. He plays a simple but effective game and hits to hurt.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I've become a big fan of Schenn. I believe the Canucks struck Gold by trading for him, when everyone thought his career was over. He plays such a steady game. Big hits, protects team mates, makes great decisions with the puck, good outlet passes all the time. And he's always in position (smart). This serves him well as he's not the fastest skater. The Canucks have needed a right-shot D who can play a heavy game. Schenn seems to be doing that. I hope they re-sign him and keep him with the team. No one else on the Canucks D does what he does so effectively.

Heck, start him out with Hughes.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

So, is this level of game sustainable by Luke?

I'd like someone who used to watch Luke a few years ago and has seen him recently to opine on if Luke got faster or quicker since the old days.

If he can play like this he is worth keeping on a year by year basis.

• Like 1

Shorthouse was saying that the reason why Schenn was demoted in ANA is because of lack of physicality. Last game against CBJ Schenn set a new Canucks record for hits in a game (12). And it looks like he's laying out a bunch more against his former team tonight. I think he wants a new contract lol

• Like 2