The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luke Schenn | #2 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

41 minutes ago, Kushman said:

Have been pleasantly surprised with Schenn. He's come in and like many posters have said, he's done everything fans wanted out of Gudbranson. Not sure why some posters are saying that Gudbranson is the better player at this point, I don't see it. What is Guddy better at? He's maybe a better fighter and thats about it. Skater? Schenns poor skating has been over dramatized, he hasn't been beat many times as a result of poor speed from what I have seen. Gudbranson was consistently being walked around. First/outlet passing? Schenn is a BIG improvement in that department. Gudbranson was a turnover machine and never could make a tape to tape pass. Hitting? Schenn's hit more in the last week than I can recall Gudbranson hitting all season long. Positionally, Schenn is stronger too, Gudbranson often looked like he was completely lost out there. 

I appreciated Gudbransons character on the team but he went far too many games without bringing any physicality and was a defensive liability. Schenn has been the exact opposite and has consistently been in there to protect the younger guys. I'll take that over Gudbranson's "better skating" and intimidation factor.

I haven't seen any Penguins games since Guddy was traded there but I'm wondering if part of Guddy's issue was that, for whatever reason, he couldn't simplify his game well with the Canucks. 

There was a short stretch earlier in the season where Hutton and Guddy was the Canucks top pair and during that stretch, Guddy actually looked really solid.  He even put up a few points.  Then the wheels fell off again.  Since going to the Penguins, it looks like Guddy has managed to turn his game around which is great for him.  He's got great tools to work with and maybe it was ultimately more a team system factor here than just Guddy himself.  I think Guddy should be given respect for owning up to the fact that he just didn't play very well here and all the power to him as he improves his game in Pittsburgh.

To me, Schenn seems to be a guy who has figured out his limitations (speed and agility) and come to understand how to capitalize on his strengths (hockey IQ, puck skills and, well, strength).  It's unfortunate that Schenn was hyped so much when he was drafted but I can see why there was hope that he could be a high-end two-way D with solid size.  Schenn's keeping the game pretty simple and he's showing that he's still a deserving NHL player, just not what he was originally hyped up to project as.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Like everyone else, I've been loving this guy's game:  all that physicality with a good first pass, sound decision-making, and plenty of leadership.  You're not going to do better than this in a bottom-paring D. 

Sign him for two years @ 1.25 or less and we're good to go.  Two years makes sense (1) because of expansion, (2) as a bridge to Woo, and (3) because it shows some belief in the player.  We sorely need what he's bringing, but if he can't maintain that, just bury him in Utica with negligible cap consequences at 1.25. 

Suddenly our depth on D isn't looking so bad. 

Edler         Stecher

Hughes     Tanev

Hutton       Schen

Sautner     Biega

Juolevi      Chatfield

Brisebois  ....

I'd still like to get Myers and maybe move Tanev, but what we have is almost tolerable now that Hughes is in the mix. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Schenn is doing a great job, not making excuses and just getting it done. He’s brought the most consistent physical presence of any defenseman for the Canucks this season far below the $4M mark. 

hey welcome back.

Yeah Schenn is making a case for himself for a new contract, for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

hey welcome back.

Yeah Schenn is making a case for himself for a new contract, for sure. 

Thanks Jimmy. I do hope that Benning gives him a new one. This team needs players with his dedication to solid defensive play and protecting the young dynamic players at every turn. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

"I didn’t know what we were getting, but, man, is he a good example," Green told reporters this week when asked about Schenn. "I didn’t even know if he’d get in the lineup. I think his game has steadily improved with the more games he has played. And it’s not so much just his play, either. It’s his attitude and what he’s trying to bring to the table that others guys should watch and learn. You hope that guys are taking notice."

"He’s a good example for young guys when they get in the lineup, to make sure you’re doing whatever you can to stay in the lineup," Green says. "Not only for this year but for next year.”

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Loved reading these quotes from players in the Athletties (the stuff the Canucks guys say about Hughes is also pretty great)

https://theathletic.com/893682/2019/03/29/the-athletties-hughesday-shatters-expectations-schenns-redemption-the-save-and-why-the-canucks-season-fell-to-pieces/

Best Compliment

“Seeing Schenn step up was awesome,” Boeser said.

“If anyone touches Quinn or Petey, he’s in there. He’s making sure and he’s telling guys not to touch them.

“It’s nice to see.”

SCHENN: “You don’t want to get pushed around ever. If there’s a late hit, I want to be there to have my teammates back.”

Somebody just got himself a new contract.

(hopefully)

Edited by Me_
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Certainly deserves a new contract but have to be careful with Schenn because he is renowned for being streaky and just starting to play terrible defensively. I'd consider a 1 or 2 year deal max, slot him in on the bottom pairing with Hutton or Hughes for next season and hopefully we can sign another top-4 D-man in the UFA.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1