The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luke Schenn | #2 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

I am a huge fan of what Schenn has brought to the line up. My only fear is that he is going to get his face pounded in on the regular if he is our "protector".

Don't get me wrong, I love guys who just show up, and I love his bone crushing hits. Just when it comes to fighting he isnt scaring anyone, hes a a slow, wrestle type scrapper. 

I still think we need a legitimate fighter since Guddy left. 

Jake - doesnt fight

Horvat - Maybe twice a year

Hutton - Maybe twice a year

Roussel- Love em, but nobodys losing sleep over him

I would be a huge fan of Kurtis MacDermid from the kings. The guy is SCARY, young and Lefty. Do yourself a favour and watch his highlights. Now I'm not saying hes a top 4 D, or even top 6. I'm a sucker for violence on the ice and have my finger on the pulse of whose actually tough. Kmac is up there with wilson, reaves and mcquaid .

If you look at this top 8 (pending no trades/signings) I think this is a nice mix of size, skill and positional D. 

Edler-Stecher

Hutton - Tanev

Hughes - Schenn

KMAC - Biega

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, RecklessReilly said:

I am a huge fan of what Schenn has brought to the line up. My only fear is that he is going to get his face pounded in on the regular if he is our "protector".

Don't get me wrong, I love guys who just show up, and I love his bone crushing hits. Just when it comes to fighting he isnt scaring anyone, hes a a slow, wrestle type scrapper. 

Jake - doesnt fight

I would be a huge fan of Kurtis MacDermid from the kings. The guy is SCARY, young and Lefty. Do yourself a favour and watch his highlights. Now I'm not saying hes a top 4 D, or even top 6. I'm a sucker for violence on the ice and have my finger on the pulse of whose actually tough. Kmac is up there with wilson, reaves and mcquaid .

If you look at this top 8 (pending no trades/signings) I think this is a nice mix of size, skill and positional D. 

Edler-Stecher

Hutton - Tanev

Hughes - Schenn

KMAC - Biega

It's not the 80s anymore. Fighting is such a minute part of the game. Why carry some scrubby, pressbox fodder when you can have a player who can actually contribute in a meaningful way.

Canucks have 12 fights all season. That's like 1 every 7 games. Do you really need to waste a roster spot on a guy who has alleged value every 7th game or so?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

It's not the 80s anymore. Fighting is such a minute part of the game. Why carry some scrubby, pressbox fodder when you can have a player who can actually contribute in a meaningful way.

Canucks have 12 fights all season. That's like 1 every 7 games. Do you really need to waste a roster spot on a guy who has alleged value every 7th game or so?

I totally understand what your saying, and obviously I would prefer to have a dman that can snap the puck tape to tape and wheel all day. I just feel that people are painting schenn with the wrong brush. I'm just saying if your going to have a guy to protect younger players, he might was well be good at it. I wouldn't even dress kmac every night, I would just have him as an insurance policy that fits the demographic of the team. Ideally you find a forward, like ferland who can do play and fight. 

I just want whats best for the team, and if you ask any player/ex player, having a guy that puts fear into your opponent is invaluable. Also, you personally may not have time for fighting, but I believe that majority of the fan base takes great pride in having players that keep opponents accountable. You look at the two teams in the finals last year and they have Reaves/Wilson, who were both extremely useful. This isnt a major franchise changing move, its just a move that wouldnt require much sacrifice and could elevate the play of younger players.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, RecklessReilly said:

Jake - doesnt fight

Edler-Stecher

Hutton - Tanev

Hughes - Schenn

KMAC - Biega

If we are worried about protecting the protectors, are we then going to start worrying about protecting the protecting protectors? This seems to be more of having a fear that the sky might fall and trying to account for every detail of how the sky might fall. You could literally worry about every situation possible but that's just paranoia at that point. I could worry about getting a finger blister while typing this. Should I account for that?

I guess what I'm saying is have some faith. This is pure overthinking in my opinion and nothing more than that. :)

Edited by The Lock

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly. Schenn is a smart, capable player with loads of experience. At 6'2" 221, he's no pushover or potential face punching victim at all. He seemed to have no fear or issue with McDermid when Vancouver faced LA last game.

Schenn is smart, and useful no doubt. He is also smart enough to drop asap when in that scrap to avoid getting pumped (I dont even think it was a fight). I like schenn, and he doesn't need to be protected. Its for the other guys. Maybe I'm just old school but I would love to have a legit heavyweight. I don't think kmac will make our defense any better, but he also isnt the kind of player that dresses everynight, I think he played 11 games and is a 51% corsi on a terrible team, which is pretty solid. He is simply an 8th dman who can bang. Worst case he plays in utica and sets the tone down there. 

To each their own, I think it would be a small move that could have a big impact on the dressing room. Schenn just has a reputation as one of the punching bags around the league and it hurts the ol soul as a fan watching your "guy" get run through every time he stands up for the team.  

At the end of the day, I want the canucks to do as well as possible. I want the team to play for each other and I want the team to win. Having a guy like kmac as an 8th dman is pretty low risk. IMO he = guddy but tougher, at fraction of the cost. 

Obviously I would rather have Jokiharju or someone like that, but they don't come cheap. In no means am I saying kmac is a solution for a dcore, he is just a solution for toughness. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Lock said:

If we are worried about protecting the protectors, are we then going to start worrying about protecting the protecting protectors? This seems to be more of having a fear that the sky might fall and trying to account for every detail of how the sky might fall. You could literally worry about every situation possible but that's just paranoia at that point. I could worry about getting a finger blister while typing this. Should I account for that?

I guess what I'm saying is have some faith. This is pure overthinking in my opinion and nothing more than that. :)

It does seem redundant I know, but its not like hes going to be a go to guy, he would simply play when we inevitably get injury's. 

It is overthinking, but this is a forum where people discuss theoretical situations. I could have not said anything of course, but I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. Also I don't think being concerned the team gets bullied is "paranoid". Its better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. 

4 minutes ago, RecklessReilly said:

It does seem redundant I know, but its not like hes going to be a go to guy, he would simply play when we inevitably get injury's. 

It is overthinking, but this is a forum where people discuss theoretical situations. I could have not said anything of course, but I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. Also I don't think being concerned the team gets bullied is "paranoid". Its better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. 

It's not really concerned about the team getting bullied from what I'm reading of your post. It's concerned about the bullies getting bullied.

If it's more about the team getting bullied then that would be more to do with everyone sticking up for everyone. That being said, a lot of teams these days focus more on the game and winning the game rather than providing "answers" to major hits. We shouldn't need to waste a roster spot on a guy who can't contribute elsewhere as well when every other team is not using those kind of players anymore. Such a move would actually put us behind other teams. That extra guy would likely try and go after the other team to "stand up" and put us in the penalty box while the other team focuses on just winning the game. That's today's NHL.

And, for the record, you have your right to speak your mind as I have the right to disagree with it. ;) No one here is saying you shouldn't.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, RecklessReilly said:

Schenn is smart, and useful no doubt. He is also smart enough to drop asap when in that scrap to avoid getting pumped (I dont even think it was a fight). I like schenn, and he doesn't need to be protected. Its for the other guys. Maybe I'm just old school but I would love to have a legit heavyweight. I don't think kmac will make our defense any better, but he also isnt the kind of player that dresses everynight, I think he played 11 games and is a 51% corsi on a terrible team, which is pretty solid. He is simply an 8th dman who can bang. Worst case he plays in utica and sets the tone down there. 

To each their own, I think it would be a small move that could have a big impact on the dressing room. Schenn just has a reputation as one of the punching bags around the league and it hurts the ol soul as a fan watching your "guy" get run through every time he stands up for the team.  

At the end of the day, I want the canucks to do as well as possible. I want the team to play for each other and I want the team to win. Having a guy like kmac as an 8th dman is pretty low risk. IMO he = guddy but tougher, at fraction of the cost. 

Obviously I would rather have Jokiharju or someone like that, but they don't come cheap. In no means am I saying kmac is a solution for a dcore, he is just a solution for toughness. 

I, too, want the team to have some players on the roster who are willing to thrown down and have zero fear. Bieksa, Rypien, Brashear, are just a few of the players in the past that did that for the Canucks. Gudbranson was decent during his time here, but lacked the frequency of response, and as Green stated "chased the game".

Schenn has come to the defense of both Petterson and Hughes at almost every occurrence of opposing players taking liberties, which is refreshing. I've never heard of him being referred to as a punching bag around the league. Tom Sestito had that reputation, but I can't say I've heard it about Schenn.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I, too, want the team to have some players on the roster who are willing to thrown down and have zero fear. Bieksa, Rypien, Brashear, are just a few of the players in the past that did that for the Canucks. Gudbranson was decent during his time here, but lacked the frequency of response, and as Green stated "chased the game".

Schenn has come to the defense of both Petterson and Hughes at almost every occurrence of opposing players taking liberties, which is refreshing. I've never heard of him being referred to as a punching bag around the league. Tom Sestito had that reputation, but I can't say I've heard it about Schenn.

If you have the time, check out his hockeyfights page, wins are few and far between. Regardless, I like what schenn brings to the table, aside from fighting. He's a solid, effective dman who can punish players with his hits. He also is a great guy who knows his role. Not to mention the work hes done with adam oats on his puck skills a decision making. 

There is a difference between just showing up and actually delivering.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, The Lock said:

It's not really concerned about the team getting bullied from what I'm reading of your post. It's concerned about the bullies getting bullied.

If it's more about the team getting bullied then that would be more to do with everyone sticking up for everyone. That being said, a lot of teams these days focus more on the game and winning the game rather than providing "answers" to major hits. We shouldn't need to waste a roster spot on a guy who can't contribute elsewhere as well when every other team is not using those kind of players anymore. Such a move would actually put us behind other teams. That extra guy would likely try and go after the other team to "stand up" and put us in the penalty box while the other team focuses on just winning the game. That's today's NHL.

And, for the record, you have your right to speak your mind as I have the right to disagree with it. ;) No one here is saying you shouldn't.

I may have phrased things poorly. I don't think our protectors need protectors. I just want one effective scrapper on the team, just one. I know the game is trending away from fighting, and teams dont carry multiple. But lots of really good teams find the space to carry at least one. I agree guys like kmac are a dying breed, but hes also a younger player who played in all situations in the AHL. Who wouldnt want a Mcquaid type guy growing up with this team. He doesnt take up much cap space at all, and we need to fill roster spots regarldess. Its not like we are up against the player limit. I guess we agree to disagree, but I wouldnt call it a wasted spot.

Edited by RecklessReilly

13 minutes ago, RecklessReilly said:

https://streamable.com/ixlzo

Just for the record on the dust up

I'm not saying Schenn is Rick Rypien 2.0, but he's willing to step up for his teammates and put himself in harm's way for them. That clearly means something to the young guys on the team.

Gudbranson was excellent in the role, when he stepped up for teammates. There are very few players who were able to best him in pugilistic role when he was here. However, he played way out of his depth and became known more for being a turnstile than for truculence.

I do agree with you that the team needs some more size and muscle to insulate the young top tier skill on the team. No doubt there. That being said, I'd like to see the team overall embrace a more pack-type culture, as I think that goes farther than having one designated goon.

The offseason awaits. Hopefully it's addressed.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RecklessReilly said:

Well said, I agree on the pack mentality. I think checking with your legs is the most effective grit out there. I'm not trying to make this a bashing schenn party either. I love what he does, and am a huge fun of his willingness to protect the youth. Speaks volumes on his character. 

Never thought you were bashing Schenn, for the record.

1 minute ago, RecklessReilly said:

I just want this team to be hard to play against. And as cringey as it sounds, I want someone who wins fights regularly. There is a morale boost for the whole team when there is someone in the room that can chuck em with the best of them. 

I think that was the hope with Guddy, long-term. When he was able to manhandle the likes of Wilson, it must have given a boost to the team.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2019 at 7:45 AM, RecklessReilly said:

Jake - doesnt fight

Edler-Stecher

Hutton - Tanev

Hughes - Schenn

KMAC - Biega

A few others have mentioned it, but he doesn't have to fight. He can just make the opposing teams night even more miserable by hitting the crap out of all their forwards. He's already done that this year. The kings game is a good example. He just had to choke slam some fools lol. But it is a good point to bring up that we don't have a menacing fighter on this team. Perhaps MacEwan could be that for us? 

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/4/2019 at 10:55 AM, Attila Umbrus said:

A few others have mentioned it, but he doesn't have to fight. He can just make the opposing teams night even more miserable by hitting the crap out of all their forwards. He's already done that this year. The kings game is a good example. He just had to choke slam some fools lol. But it is a good point to bring up that we don't have a menacing fighter on this team. Perhaps MacEwan could be that for us? 

I have high hopes for MacEwan. I think he could be the perfect long term 4th line center for us. He is still young, big and pretty tough. We will see how he develops. I guess the major question question with him is if he is sound enough defensively to hold a spot in the NHL. I do like his pugilistic qualities though. Although I see him as a light heavy weight, wouldnt want him facing off against the top guys in the leauge. 

5 minutes ago, RecklessReilly said:

I have high hopes for MacEwan. I think he could be the perfect long term 4th line center for us. He is still young, big and pretty tough. We will see how he develops. I guess the major question question with him is if he is sound enough defensively to hold a spot in the NHL. I do like his pugilistic qualities though. Although I see him as a light heavy weight, wouldnt want him facing off against the top guys in the leauge. 

I'm not sure if MacEwen fights that often. I don't think the AHL keeps fight statistics, but he only has 68 PIM in 64 games in Utica. I think he probably has a couple fights a year, but I think based on his offensive game in Utica, he probably values the scoring side of his game more.