The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Erik Gudbranson to Penguins for Tanner Pearson

HerrDrFunk

10 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Tom Wilson must have felt like crying when he heard guddy was coming to his neck of the woods. 

Gudbranson is tough but it's not like he's being matched up against Wilson and the caps top line. They'll play a handful of shifts against eachother, but given the fact that Gudbranson is on the ice for more goals against than any other player, I think Wilson would gladly take the trade off. In a 7 game series, how many times would the 2 of them fight? How many times would one of them land a big hit on the other? You can add both of those numbers together and they still wouldn't come close to the amount of goals against Gudbranson would be on the ice for. So I doubt anyone is crying lol

Wilson>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Gudbranson

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Gudbranson is tough but it's not like he's being matched up against Wilson and the caps top line. They'll play a handful of shifts against eachother, but given the fact that Gudbranson is on the ice for more goals against than any other player, I think Wilson would gladly take the trade off. In a 7 game series, how many times would the 2 of them fight? How many times would one of them land a big hit on the other? You can add both of those numbers together and they still wouldn't come close to the amount of goals against Gudbranson would be on the ice for. So I doubt anyone is crying lol

Yes, and so what?

Crosby is better than a lot of players. And teams still trade for players that will minimize the match up issue. Regardless of whether it was a physical match up, a goal scoring one, or otherwise. As much as possible anyway...

• Cheers 4

2 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Yeah I'm sure Wilson will be happy getting his ass kicked

.tenor.gif?itemid=4263982

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

Go to the pub early yesterday to see the 3rd period of the Pens Bruins.

Gud look great ripping off his helmet to show his growing locks and to spew hate towards Wilson after taking him to the ice.

Erik was then trusted to be on the ice for most of the last 2mins.

Really cool to see. Wish him all the best and I am now pulling for the Pens to win another cup.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 3/12/2019 at 2:52 PM, Hutton Wink said:

'Weisbro' made it pretty clear that's what they're getting a head start on.  But if Edler, Tanev, Stecher, and Hutton are all still here, not sure how much of a "remake" it'll be.  Add in Hughes, maybe a big name UFA?  Certainly took a big hit not being able to get Juolevi into games this year to see where he's at.

Tanev (50% retained and with an extension)

For

Callahan + Foote 

Add in some pieces to even out the value. Callahan would waive his NTC on the condition that he's traded out of Vancouver right after, which is something we could do while retaining salary on him. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Go to the pub early yesterday to see the 3rd period of the Pens Bruins.

Gud look great ripping off his helmet to show his growing locks and to spew hate towards Wilson after taking him to the ice.

Erik was then trusted to be on the ice for most of the last 2mins.

Really cool to see. Wish him all the best and I am now pulling for the Pens to win another cup.

was always a fan of guddy, its too bad that he couldnt get it together here, but good too see he's doing well in pitts so far.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Gudbranson has been plain outstanding thus far in Pitt.

2.9 on ice goals for per 60

1.0 goals against

= +1.9 per 60  and +5 overall, in hard, shutdown minutes.

20 hits in 7 games.

A leading penalty killer for them....

Don't like having let go of him, enjoy watching the guy killing it - and think it may wind up one of the odd moments of weakness for this management group - but it's a done deal and something the team needs to move on from (hopefully can shore up the blueline -and some toughness, in the summer).

At least it looks like they may be gaining some value in draft position....?

Also kind of odd that both McCann and Gud (a deal that I thought was decent enough for both sides) were both dealt at the deadline - I wouldn't have agreed to either of those moves (Pitt sure is sitting pretty after the deadline though).

I'm trying man, I'm trying.             :mellow:

• Cheers 2

He’s been his best hockey ever

msybe it’s because he’s on a winning team where players are for the most part playing positions where they can succeed?

who is his D partner mostly?

he does well when he plays with an experienced puck move ex Campbell in Florida 

Def not the Gudbranson we saw with Willy D or Greener 

23 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Wilson, of course, has a long history against the Penguins. This year he knocked out Jamie Oleksiak in the first minute of his first game on the ice against the Penguins.

He also, now somewhat infamously, broke the jaw of Zach Aston Reese in last year's Eastern Conference Semifinals

Last night:

This, however, was part of a bigger scrum. It started when Wilson and Alex Ovechkin got into a collision with Penguins defenders near the net.

After that Wilson went to take on Guentzel, but Gudbranson stepped in and wouldn't let the Capitals winger get a shot off on the 24-year-old Penguin.

The two players ultimately wrestled around on the ice before officials separated them.

I believe Guentzel, Crosby and Malkin are happy to have one of the toughest fighters in the league.

Tkachuk, Bennett, Hathaway and Hamonic wil not afraid of push back next time they play the Canucks.  All four and Prust  can beat up any of the Canucks.  Other teams will have no respect for the Canucks and will be more physical.  Flying elbows and crosschecks (see Pettersson and Roussel injuries tonight) will be the norm when Calgary visits on Saturday, March 23.   How many Canucks will be visiting the Chris Tanev medical centre?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, oldnews said:

Gudbranson has been plain outstanding thus far in Pitt.

2.9 on ice goals for per 60

1.0 goals against

= +1.9 per 60  and +5 overall, in hard, shutdown minutes.

20 hits in 7 games.

A leading penalty killer for them....

Don't like having let go of him, enjoy watching the guy killing it - and think it may wind up one of the odd moments of weakness for this management group - but it's a done deal and something the team needs to move on from (hopefully can shore up the blueline -and some toughness, in the summer).

At least it looks like they may be gaining some value in draft position....?

Also kind of odd that both McCann and Gud (a deal that I thought was decent enough for both sides) were both dealt at the deadline - I wouldn't have agreed to either of those moves (Pitt sure is sitting pretty after the deadline though).

Basically, the conclusion is that the Canucks could not utilize a decent player. Gudbranson has his weaknesses but also strengths and if he were put in the right situation with a system that provides options, he would have done well. This trade was good for Gudbranson as he goes to a good team that plays a system that can cover his weaknesses while he focusses on his strengths. And it was good for the Canucks to move out a player that the coaches or the system cannot make good use of. 

McCann seems to be doing well too, utilizing his speed and skill.

Makes you realize how important it is to have a good system and capable players that can carry out that system. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, khay said:

Basically, the conclusion is that the Canucks could not utilize a decent player. Gudbranson has his weaknesses but also strengths and if he were put in the right situation with a system that provides options, he would have done well. This trade was good for Gudbranson as he goes to a good team that plays a system that can cover his weaknesses while he focusses on his strengths. And it was good for the Canucks to move out a player that the coaches or the system cannot make good use of. 

McCann seems to be doing well too, utilizing his speed and skill.

Makes you realize how important it is to have a good system and capable players that can carry out that system. 

One thing about Green that I don't like is it seems he won't adjust his "system" to allow players to play their best. Now Guddu is playing the role he's meant to be playing and has support for it.

I'm ok with him being gone, but was it fair value in the trade? Probably not But who's to blame if their is blame to give? I think green is the getting the most out of players that are perfect for his system

• Upvote 1

The unfortunate truth is Gud just never fit here I really liked him and wanted him to do well. Unfortunately he did not. I am happy he is somewhere else and performing better. I wish that we had been able to recoup a 1st for him but that was never going to happen.

1 hour ago, Wanless said:

One thing about Green that I don't like is it seems he won't adjust his "system" to allow players to play their best. Now Guddu is playing the role he's meant to be playing and has support for it.

I'm ok with him being gone, but was it fair value in the trade? Probably not But who's to blame if their is blame to give? I think green is the getting the most out of players that are perfect for his system

Agreed.

Green is patient in helping the players out to play his style. Examples are Virtanen and Goldobin, who have had success on the off wing during their junior careers but Green has been bringing them along slowly and they seem comfortable now in their natural positions. Baertschi is another example of a player that found his groove under Green.

But maybe some players are not being used in the best way possible. An example of rigidity is Green's preference to put the players in their natural positions (i.e., left-handed defender playing LD and LH forward playing LW). I hesitate to say that this is a rigidity because it's normal. I understand that the players are supposed to play their positions based on their handedness at the pro level for efficiency (defensive) but will Green be able to find a role and utilize a "free" role guys like Hughes or will he try to shape Hughes into something that he is not to fit the style? And the sad thing is, there is no style, no structure in the Canucks game anymore. They did earlier in the season, up to around January.

Gudbranson was a good skater, especially for a guy with his size and he wasn't fully utilized in Green's system. A lot of people criticized his puck moving abilities but I thought he was decent, you give him options, and he could deliver the puck. He didn't have the greatest vision or stickhandling abilities to get around the first forechecker to move the puck though... but I think that's the system problem, not Guddy's. Almost all players have limitations, it's a failure on coaching to utilize a decent player in Guddy.

I personally liked Gudbranson a lot. I thought he brought a lot of good things to the team, hence the name "Guddy" :) He was humble and a good teammate and brought a lot of character and leadership qualities. He stood up for teammates when needed but never gave cheap shots. He had a lot of the physical tools, may not have had the high hockey IQ and skill that you need to be a top defender these days but he had a lot of the tools. I hope he does well with Pittsburgh.

• Cheers 1

I know a lot of focus is on Guddy right now and how he is filling in nicely for the Penguins, but I actually really like Pearson's game.  How responsible he is and heavy a game he can play on the forecheck.

Hasn't lit the world on fire, but feel his game is coming around.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

He’s been his best hockey ever

msybe it’s because he’s on a winning team where players are for the most part playing positions where they can succeed?

who is his D partner mostly?

he does well when he plays with an experienced puck move ex Campbell in Florida 

Def not the Gudbranson we saw with Willy D or Greener 

It's been Pettersson the times I have watched.