The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Erik Gudbranson to Penguins for Tanner Pearson

HerrDrFunk

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

In my opinion I think he purposely played bad so he can get traded.  I’m glad he’s doing well in Pittsburgh, also glad we got rid of him. He was truly the worst Canuck to play for us in the last 20

years.

Needed a change of scenery no question. Played bad on purpose? I don’t think that’s in an NHL player’s repertoire of tools to use. 

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

In my opinion I think he purposely played bad so he can get traded.  I’m glad he’s doing well in Pittsburgh, also glad we got rid of him. He was truly the worst Canuck to play for us in the last 20

years.

ZomboMeme 15032019122456.jpg

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

:picard: take notes Baumer 

Maybe our coaches forget teaching the critical little things, because they are so focused on the scheme?  Maybe we need a skills coach, who breaks down each player's skill set, and then teaches them what they individually need to improve to make more effective?  The stick think with Guddy really makes good sense.  I wonder sometimes if we spend too much time on systems, and not enough on individual improvement through subtle changes?

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, mll said:

Gudbranson on how the Penguins are having him use his reach and wingspan and how it's helping him.

"The best way I’ve had it put to me is, if it looks like those guys have more speed than me, you put a stick up 'em really quickly, where they don’t expect it ...they hesitate for a second,” Gudbranson said. “That’s not necessarily when you’ve got them but you make their eyes water for that split second and can maybe create a turnover.”

Like it.

Guddy might well win a Stanley, Dahlin crack the Sharks line-up and Leipsic find a groove in Willie's play-offs.

Why would we want to keep their kind around here when they didn't fit.

2 hours ago, Duodenum said:

Well the analytics weren't lying. It just helped to show that Gudbranson was a terrible fit in Vancouver bleeding goals against. He's paired with a smart, young puck mover in Pettersson right now and their style fits him better (and they have a better d coach). He was even jumping up into the play and carrying the puck into the offensive zone, something he never, ever did here. Still, a small sample size with a new team that is on a hot streak is just that. Won't really see what he's really like for Pittsburgh until next year probably. It takes "analytics" about a 40+ game sample size to normalize. 

So this points to Green's systems being a cause of the Canucks problems?  Possibly. Green does not have a stellar record as a coach if you look into it. He is losing my support...thats for sure.

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

So this points to Green's systems being a cause of the Canucks problems?  Possibly. Green does not have a stellar record as a coach if you look into it. He is losing my support...thats for sure.

I give him a pass with the D core gong show and injury riddled seasons he has had to coach through.

Baumer is a terrible coach. All of our d-men except Edler and Tanev lack basic foundational defenseman skills, or are being told not to utilize them. Very few of our d-men lift sticks in front of the net - you learn this in pee-wee. I think Baumer needs to be let go after this season, along with Newell Brown. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Screw said:

Lol.  Love this thread... and here is some Gudbranson Canucks highlights.

Hamonic, you must be happy, right? He's playing in the east, you will see less of him.

Such unfortunate timing on your jaw though,with all the backlash against using straws. Must have been awful trying to sip your meals. 

46 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Hamonic, you must be happy, right? He's playing in the east, you will see less of him.

Such unfortunate timing on your jaw though,with all the backlash against using straws. Must have been awful trying to sip your meals. 

FWIW, they make washable and reusable stainless steel straws now (as well as compostable ones) ::D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Maybe our coaches forget teaching the critical little things, because they are so focused on the scheme?  Maybe we need a skills coach, who breaks down each player's skill set, and then teaches them what they individually need to improve to make more effective?  The stick think with Guddy really makes good sense.  I wonder sometimes if we spend too much time on systems, and not enough on individual improvement through subtle changes?

maybe so, at least in Guddy's case. He's a good guy, I'm glad he's getting a little redemption. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Guddy is +5 in Pittsburgh so far... shows the caliber of his teammates when he played here. Our D-core is currently the worst in the nhl.

They tend to score alot more goals (which inflates that plus/minus number)....helped in part by McCann's scoring goals for them.

• Upvote 1

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

They tend to score alot more goals (which inflates that plus/minus number)....helped in part by McCann's scoring goals for them.

Well I think what it is, is that our Defense absolutely Sucks.  As a result Guddy was doing more than what he was capable of.  In Pittsburgh there’s some quality Defense, so it allows him to keep it simple and thrive there. 

It’s like how Edler usually makes his D partner worse. Usually by having them out of position because he doesn’t comprehend the basic 3 commands any jr B hockey coach will make sure any North American defenseman knows.

• Wat 2

Canes fans frequently complained that Ron Hainsey was old and slow. He was Pittsburgh's #2 D when they won a Cup.

Trevor Daley was unceremoniously dumped by the Hawks for being atrocious. He got traded for the carcass of Rob Scuderi. Pittsburgh turned him into a useful player.

Oilers fans couldn't wait to get rid of Justin Schultz. He played an integral role during their run (top 4 D)

This is what the Penguins have been doing for quite some time now. People can say what they want but it's not like Guddy didn't get enough opportunities here. He was also paired with multiple defenseman and somehow dragged down everyone who played with him. He was mediocre in Florida other than one fabled post-season run.

Maybe he leaves Pittsburgh with a new perspective but I doubt it. My guess is he reverts back into a pumpkin the moment they let him walk. Maybe we can hire Sergei Gonchar, I would rather the coach that can get marginal defenseman to perform than a marginal defenseman.

• Thanks 2
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

On 3/14/2019 at 10:49 AM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I know a lot of focus is on Guddy right now and how he is filling in nicely for the Penguins, but I actually really like Pearson's game.  How responsible he is and heavy a game he can play on the forecheck.

Hasn't lit the world on fire, but feel his game is coming around.

Yeah - Pearson does bring some more physicality to the wing - and 14 hits thus far in 7 games - something the forward group needs.

And if Baertschi is as questionable with his concussions as it seems - there's definitely the need for another guy that could score 20 goals.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

He has lost my support a bit as well. I still like him but the team play as of late has been really bad. If he can bring back some of that hockey from the beginning of the season, that would win a lot of support back even if we lose every game for the remainder of the season.

• Like 1