The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Erik Gudbranson to Penguins for Tanner Pearson

HerrDrFunk

12 hours ago, teepain said:

Honestly every team has an anchor contract, at least we didnt get lucic. dodged a bullet on that one.  Every UFA that year was a bust too, which sucks

And everything pointed toward Eriksson being a great fit on the Sedin line (Team Sweden example), but for some reason it never translated to the Canucks. 

32 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

And everything pointed toward Eriksson being a great fit on the Sedin line (Team Sweden example), but for some reason it never translated to the Canucks. 

Yeah - at least he maintains a baseline level of effectiveness.

He's a very good 'possession' player.

He's a very good defensive forward.

38.2% ozone starts, 47.% corsi

29 takeaways, 10 giveaways, +19

11 goals 29 pts in that context is quite good (14 minutes/game)....the kind of underlying numbers and production that would make him a high end third line two-way/shutdown veteran.

As a 3-4 million versatile middle six, he'd be a decent to good contract.  So he's more in the range of 2-3 million overpayment relative to performance - but there are a fair amount of players out there running far higher than that - near complete write-offs/buyout candidates, whose terms are just too long and heavy to be in a buyout comfort zone, so teams live with it.  A lot of contracts I wouldn't trade LE's for - and he didn't even make the expresso/msn slideshow of the worst players in the NHL lol, so there's that.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

At McCanns current production had Benning not traded him people would be further calling for Bennings head and demanding he be traded.

If Gudbranson were still here they'd be demanding he be traded.

Pearson....hell the guys on a full season pace for roughly 35 goals and is a banger for sure.

Why are we still debating this?

Pearson for Gudbranson was a great trade.

Schenn for Del Zotto was a good trade.

Waiting for Spooner to get hot.

Two out of three ain’t bad. Just like his UFA signings; Roussel good, Beagle good, Schaller meh...

Edited by Me_

3 hours ago, Me_ said:

Pearson for Gudbranson was a great trade.

Schenn for Del Zotto was a good trade.

Waiting for Spooner to get hot.

Two out of three ain’t bad. Just like his UFA signings; Roussel good, Beagle good, Schaller meh...

I can't see us honestly missing either of those two guys.

Pearson is everythign this team needed.  A heavy LW that can muck it up take a beating and produce.  Man is he delivering that.  While it was a circuitous trade route for him to get here at days end of ALL the pieces moved in that initial trade, Pearson is thus far the best of them all

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

This has been a great trade. Said it before; just moving Gudbranson was good, Pearson being a productive player is a home run.

Hopefully he can be the same player next season.

It is definitely a great trade when every single party ends happy about it.

Both teams and both players have ended up better off.  Both teams would do the trade again in a heartbeat and that is rare.

I am pretty far from making any real judgement about it though.  Players often have spikes in performance after being traded and give an extra gear while other players are pacing themselves over a long season.  They want to impress their new bosses and teammates.  Combine that with half the opposition near their end of the season either checked out, knowing they are out of the race, or on cruise control getting ready for a brutal playoff run... and it is a recipe  for misjudging players.

At Christmas next season we will really know better how these two guys really fit and even a guy like Schenn if he has a new contract and feels more comfortable.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

At his current pace if he keeps it up for next year Pearson will be underpaid.  We might only have him for 2 seasons.

How times change quickly.  At first we thought it was a contract for contract type trade, maybe get a little more production from Pearson at left wing than we were getting from Guddy at defence.  Now it looks like we stole a gem who can play as a true power forward with BO and get 30-35 goals next year.  Now that contract is looking real good.  Too bad it's only for 2 more years.  I wish we had him locked up for $3.75 million for the next 4 years.

The good news though is that he will be a UFA at the expansion draft so we don't have to protect him.  If he loves playing with BO and we have the money we can re-sign him in the summer.  Petey will be up that year though so the money may be tight.  Hopefully we can find somewhere to move Eriksson to free up cap space.

8 hours ago, Provost said:

It is definitely a great trade when every single party ends happy about it.

Both teams and both players have ended up better off.  Both teams would do the trade again in a heartbeat and that is rare.

I am pretty far from making any real judgement about it though.  Players often have spikes in performance after being traded and give an extra gear while other players are pacing themselves over a long season.  They want to impress their new bosses and teammates.  Combine that with half the opposition near their end of the season either checked out, knowing they are out of the race, or on cruise control getting ready for a brutal playoff run... and it is a recipe  for misjudging players.

At Christmas next season we will really know better how these two guys really fit and even a guy like Schenn if he has a new contract and feels more comfortable.

Yup. Im certainly not about set Pearson scoring 25 next year in stone. But even being a productive middle 6 guy that can score 20 or close to it makes it more than a win. He's an upgrade on what we had before. 

Gudbranson has been good for PIT too, I'm happy for him. Likeable guy, but in Vancouver he wasn't a valuable player. Turning a problem into an asset is a win. 

• Upvote 2

Winning a few games at the beginning of the year did not make us Stanley cup champs.

Markstrom looking like a good goalie for the latter half of the season did not make him a elite starter.

Just because Pettey was on pace for 50 goals at the beginning of the year didn't make him a fifty goal scorer.

A player going on a hot streak for a few games after a trade does not make him a dominant power forward or a 35 goal scorer.  Scoring eight goals over a few games at the end of the season makes him an eight goal scorer (or in this case 18 because he already had 10).

There are some good reasons to be a little excited about his play with Bo but this is a guy that was barely in the league when we traded for him.  Temper expectations.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I can't see us honestly missing either of those two guys.

Pearson is everythign this team needed.  A heavy LW that can muck it up take a beating and produce.  Man is he delivering that.  While it was a circuitous trade route for him to get here at days end of ALL the pieces moved in that initial trade, Pearson is thus far the best of them all

To be fair, when we initially traded for Guddy, correct me if I'm wrong but that was around the time the 7's line was a thing in LA. There's no way we would have been able to get Pearson at that point. lol

3 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Winning a few games at the beginning of the year did not make us Stanley cup champs.

Markstrom looking like a good goalie for the latter half of the season did not make him a elite starter.

Just because Pettey was on pace for 50 goals at the beginning of the year didn't make him a fifty goal scorer.

A player going on a hot streak for a few games after a trade does not make him a dominant power forward or a 35 goal scorer.  Scoring eight goals over a few games at the end of the season makes him an eight goal scorer (or in this case 18 because he already had 10).

There are some good reasons to be a little excited about his play with Bo but this is a guy that was barely in the league when we traded for him.  Temper expectations.

d4c2f5a8b778836905726fa48106031922d4d75ded5aac32e6fd2ba3db5ade0a.jpg

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, The Lock said:

To be fair, when we initially traded for Guddy, correct me if I'm wrong but that was around the time the 7's line was a thing in LA. There's no way we would have been able to get Pearson at that point. lol

No question.  I think we're going to see a few great years out of him while he's here.

His last few months in LA and his time in Pittsburgh are not the player he is.  We're seeing the guy he is and should be.

I think Jimmy knocked it out of the park in regards to a complimentary player for Horvat

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Possible trade for a pick in this years draft.Hes looked good , can he get us a good pick. Alot of showcasing going on in the last few games. Schaller gets off the pine,spooner a few games ect. 

18 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Possible trade for a pick in this years draft.Hes looked good , can he get us a good pick. Alot of showcasing going on in the last few games. Schaller gets off the pine,spooner a few games ect. 

If a player looks good for us, why trade him away? Seems counter productive to me to trade someone away who meshes with team well just for a draft pick.

Don't forget that the entire reason why we get draft picks is for the chance to draft someone like Pearson in the lineup later on. Do you buy a house and then bulldoze it down so you can make the same house again... only having a chance of even having a house afterwards?

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

No question.  I think we're going to see a few great years out of him while he's here.

His last few months in LA and his time in Pittsburgh are not the player he is.  We're seeing the guy he is and should be.

I think Jimmy knocked it out of the park in regards to a complimentary player for Horvat

you need to factor in

the injury bug that appears to take hold

after about 50 games or so with the canucks

we'll need to see if he is immune or not to that disease

• Like 1

Just now, The Lock said:

If a player looks good for us, why trade him away? Seems counter productive to me to trade someone away who meshes with team well just for a draft pick.

Don't forget that the entire reason why we get draft picks is for the chance to draft someone like Pearson in the lineup later on. Do you buy a house and then bulldoze it down so you can make the same house again?

Agreed , but you could buy that house for the property its on (or bonus play) to bulldoze the house for a upgrade or possible target in UFA. Or a package deal for a player benning has his eye on.Not kicking dirt in Pearsons face .

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Agreed , but you could buy that house for the property its on (or bonus play) to bulldoze the house for a upgrade or possible target in UFA. Or a package deal for a player benning has his eye on.Not kicking dirt in Pearsons face .

Even then though, you are not guaranteed of it. You could also overpay in UFA and have troubles signing our young players. Either way, it's a risk and just because there's a chance of something doesn't mean it makes sense to go for it. I get that people like the excitement of something "new" and that the "shelf-life" of certain players here until people get bored might as well be only a month (at least that's what I'm sensing here).

I firmly believe though that if you have a piece that you need, you don't trade him unless if 1) there are other factors involved like cap space or him wanting out or him playing sub-par for a period of time or  2) you get an offer you can't refuse. Almost never do you see a trade happen where neither of those things are the reason behind it.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

From what I've heard and seen, they're loving Guddy in Pittsburgh. Big physical presence, he's only got 2 assists in 19 or so games but a +7 and is much better suited over there. This is a classic case of two players needing a swap in scenery, because Pearson is absolutely lighting it up.

Hopefully both players can continue the same next season, Gudbranson gets back to playing like a top-4 physical defenceman and Pearson continues this crazy 30-ish goal scoring pace.

• Cheers 1