The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Erik Gudbranson to Penguins for Tanner Pearson

HerrDrFunk

Just now, steviewonder20 said:

Did you trade Virtanen?

I hope so...

Also Granlund, Baertschi, Eriksson, Schaller, Goldobin, and Spooner.

That was an example of where guys "should" be slotted in if we want to be a good team.  It will probably take more than one off season to get us there...

Hopefully Virtanen goes out for help on the blue line, he is one of few trade chips we have.

On 4/14/2019 at 11:29 AM, J-P said:

Not impressed by Guddys game today.

No hits, no clean zone exits, gives the puck away constantly, hardly keeping up - glad we moved on. 

Cool story.  This is the problem with watching hockey through crap-goggle lenses, looking to confirm whatever biases you hold beforehand.

Sounds like you didn't watch the game - or even look at the boxscore.

2 hits.

1 block

0 giveaways.

O on-ice goals against.

50% corsi - 15 on ice shot attempts for, 15 against.

When Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Kessel, Guentzel combine to produce nothing - 9 times out of 10 you are going to be playing from behind - and when you only have 3 penalty kills in a game - your dedicated shutdown guys aren't going to eat as big minutes.  DuMoulin only played 19 minutes - and Gudbranson's 17 minutes was the least of the Pens problems - his pairing was the only one that didn't give up goals in that game - all four other D were minuses - but, but.....Gud gave the puck away constantly, couldn't keep up, wasn't physical, couldn't exit his zone....all cool stories.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Cool story.  This is the problem with watching hockey through crap-goggle lenses, looking to confirm whatever biases you hold beforehand.

Sounds like you didn't watch the game - or even look at the boxscore.

2 hits.

1 block

0 giveaways.

O on-ice goals against.

50% corsi - 15 on ice shot attempts for, 15 against.

When Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Kessel, Guentzel combine to produce nothing - 9 times out of 10 you are going to be playing from behind - and when you only have 3 penalty kills in a game - your dedicated shutdown guys aren't going to eat as big minutes.  DuMoulin only played 19 minutes - and Gudbranson's 17 minutes was the least of the Pens problems - his pairing was the only one that didn't give up goals in that game - all four other D were minuses - but, but.....Gud gave the puck away constantly, couldn't keep up, wasn't physical, couldn't exit his zone....all cool stories.

I can admit to being a bit biased when it comes to Guddy, his time with the Canucks was frustrating. Seems like a nice guy though, so if he can find success in a sheltered role all the better. 

I know throwing the puck to the opposition in the neutral zone isn’t technically a giveaway but it still hurts the team...

Going by the stats Guddy is the pens best defender this playoffs - although with the highest ozone start % - that doesn’t make it so. 

He failed my eye test big time, but by all means, if his stats look like this for an extended period of time I will admit being wrong (but I’ll still be glad he moved on!). 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, J-P said:

I can admit to being a bit biased when it comes to Guddy, his time with the Canucks was frustrating. Seems like a nice guy though, so if he can find success in a sheltered role all the better. 

I know throwing the puck to the opposition in the neutral zone isn’t technically a giveaway but it still hurts the team...

Going by the stats Guddy is the pens best defender this playoffs - although with the highest ozone start % - that doesn’t make it so. 

He failed my eye test big time, but by all means, if his stats look like this for an extended period of time I will admit being wrong (but I’ll still be glad he moved on!). 

I prefer to look at that stuff realistically - not misrepresent it with quick, inaccurate stories.

Gudbranson - 'by the stats'

1) does not have the highest ozone starts = Schultz does at 58.1%.(Gud is 51.9%).

2) does not have the highest corsi = Letang does at 59.4% (Gud is 59.3%)

Gud is the only Pens D with a plus on ice goal metric (+1) - and he has the highest PDO on the team.

None of that necessarily makes him the 'best' or 'worst' D on the Pens - but he's certainly playing well, fulfilling his role, and of all the talent on that team, he's arguably the least of their concerns.  He and Pettersson are one of their dedicated matchup pairings - and they're doing their job - quite well imo.

That said - Pearson was brought here to be a fit to play with Horvat - and likewise, he did extremely well thus far - and was highly productive in not exactly the most opportune of minutes.

A pretty good hockey trade thus far, of a pair of quality players whose previous surface appearances didn't necessarily represent what they could bring in better circumstances.

• Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I prefer to look at that stuff realistically - not misrepresent it with quick, inaccurate stories.

Gudbranson - 'by the stats'

1) does not have the highest ozone starts = Schultz does at 58.1%.(Gud is 51.9%).

2) does not have the highest corsi = Letang does at 59.4% (Gud is 59.3%)

Gud is the only Pens D with a plus on ice goal metric (+1) - and he has the highest PDO on the team.

None of that necessarily makes him the 'best' or 'worst' D on the Pens - but he's certainly playing well, fulfilling his role, and of all the talent on that team, he's arguably the least of their concerns.  He and Pettersson are one of their dedicated matchup pairings - and they're doing their job - quite well imo.

That said - Pearson was brought here to be a fit to play with Horvat - and likewise, he did extremely well thus far - and was highly productive in not exactly the most opportune of minutes.

A pretty good hockey trade thus far, of a pair of quality players whose previous surface appearances didn't necessarily represent what they could bring in better circumstances.

Took the stats from memory, I stand corrected ;-)

But let’s just agree it’s a good trade for all parties so far, time will tell the rest. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, J-P said:

Took the stats from memory, I stand corrected ;-)

But let’s just agree it’s a good trade for all parties so far, time will tell the rest. 

It's possible you looked at the stats before they were updated to include last night's game?

In any event, I'm obviously not on team get-rid-of-Gud-whatever-it-takes - but at the same time, I liked Pearson and thought L.A. made a relatively bad move dealing him to Pitt for Hagelin - and I like him even more seeing how well he and Horvat work together.  

I also think that a LW who can move up in the lineup and provide a bit of physicality was a clear need.   Dealing Gud wouldn't have been my first choice - but I think they were pretty determined to move one of Edler, Tanev or Gud - and he became the default when the two others were not possibilities.  With Stecher somewhat breaking out, Tanev still here, Woo looking like an NHL probable, and some decent depth in Biega, Schenn....I think their work in free agency is not vital to land a 'big RHD fish' - I'd be pretty happy with Stralman, and failing that, they could always just add a depth (Sbisa/Petro) type and let it ride.  I don't think the deadline for rethinging the right side expires this summer.

6 hours ago, Provost said:

I hope so...

Also Granlund, Baertschi, Eriksson, Schaller, Goldobin, and Spooner.

That was an example of where guys "should" be slotted in if we want to be a good team.  It will probably take more than one off season to get us there...

Hopefully Virtanen goes out for help on the blue line, he is one of few trade chips we have.

-Virtanen has developed so much over the past 2 seasons I don't understand why people cant be patient with our young guys im confident he will BECOME a solid top 6 plus his speed his hard to replace

-pearson had what 9 goals in 19 games pretty sure if hes putting up numbers like that its safe to call him a top 6 forward on any team, lets see if he can be consistent before taking away the opportunity he rightfully earned in his stint with us  

-and above I see you got motte as a 13th forward the guy was one if not our most consistent energy guy all season and led the way in hits for us but I guess that's a preference fan to fan will think differently?

I completely agree with baer gran loui schaller goldy and spooner tho

-------       Pettersson    Boeser

Pearson  Horvat           Leivo

Virtanen  Sutter            Rousell

Motte      Beagle           Gaudette        

for next season we are missing a first line LW and tho I would love to upgrade on a top 6 rw over leivo no offence to him he played great but right now lets see if any prospects can come in and earn a spot and surprise us

im on the panarin train

• Cheers 1

If guddy finds his game in Pittsburgh, that 's great and I'd be happy for him.  I think he is a decent dude, and just couldn't make it work here.  We don't need him to be happy this deal.  Pearson could be a 25 -30 goal scorer and the winger we've been looking for to play with Horvat.  If we end up with that, I don't care how Gudbranson does.

2 hours ago, BCNate said:

If guddy finds his game in Pittsburgh, that 's great and I'd be happy for him.  I think he is a decent dude, and just couldn't make it work here.  We don't need him to be happy this deal.  Pearson could be a 25 -30 goal scorer and the winger we've been looking for to play with Horvat.  If we end up with that, I don't care how Gudbranson does.

ive watched a bit of PIT and you still see some of the goals against and d zone scrambles that happened in VAN.  moving on from guddy was definitely the right move, especially for a solid addition like pearson.

19 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

-------       Pettersson    Boeser

Pearson  Horvat           Leivo

Virtanen  Sutter            Rousell

Motte      Beagle           Gaudette        

ive been thinking jake could play on bo's line, and sutter with beagle, gaudette centering his line.  that would give 2 solid match up lines and a more offensive minded line.  i just dont know how open sutter would be to playing wing, but I think it could really play to his strengths. 

___ EP  Boeser

Pearson Horvat Virtanen

Leivo Gaudette ___

Motte Beagle Sutter

I guess moving on from Eriksson though is probably just a fantasy tho.

8 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

ive been thinking jake could play on bo's line, and sutter with beagle, gaudette centering his line.  that would give 2 solid match up lines and a more offensive minded line.  i just dont know how open sutter would be to playing wing, but I think it could really play to his strengths. 

___ EP  Boeser

Pearson Horvat Virtanen

Leivo Gaudette ___

Motte Beagle Sutter

I guess moving on from Eriksson though is probably just a fantasy tho.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

I think the honeymoon on this trade will soon be over. Two more years of Guds at 4 million. I think the Pens have seen the bride with her makeup off. Next up she starts farting under the sheets. 

Cute,

But has Guddy had a bad game since he's been there? there was a dude talking about Pits on the radio saying exactly that.

Seems to me it was their stars that have been sucking lately....heck I'd even go as far as saying they actually s#*t the bed, never mind farting.

1 hour ago, rekker said:

I think the honeymoon on this trade will soon be over. Two more years of Guds at 4 million. I think the Pens have seen the bride with her makeup off. Next up she starts farting under the sheets. 

Gudbranson scored more goals in the series than Crosby.

• Cheers 1