The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Erik Gudbranson to Penguins for Tanner Pearson

HerrDrFunk

I don't want McCann on our team. Sure everybody has the right to be immature, but the reported character issues with that young man is not something that just goes away completely with maturity IMO. I like the character and attitude of our young stars, and I'd rather have character guys like Pearson, LE, Beagle and Edler complementing them.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, J-P said:

I don't want McCann on our team. Sure everybody has the right to be immature, but the reported character issues with that young man is not something that just goes away completely with maturity IMO. I like the character and attitude of our young stars, and I'd rather have character guys like Pearson, LE, Beagle and Edler complementing them.

McCann is impressive every time I see him play for Pitt. He was on their 1PP when Crosby was out. 

As a fan I have no idea what or if his attitude problems might be. That is up to Benning and his scouts. I rest easy with their decision. 

Pearson has been a huge boost to the top 6. He is very solid both ways. 

Edited by Boudrias
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Pearson seems to be drive Bo a little more lately,  Pearson playing a more PF game and Bo following along

if we can call Pearson the “end result” of the Mcann trade.   It’s been damn good.

Except that McCann has more career points than Virtanen ohhhhh!!!!!!!!

• Haha 2

Guddy seems to have found a home in Anaheim. Good for him. Too bad he didn’t work out. My favourite trade in recent memory Pearson for Guddy. Don’t really care how it started. The fact that JB pulled off that trade to Pittsburgh was a thing of beauty. Plus McCann seems like a punk.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Me_ said:

Except that McCann has more career points than Virtanen ohhhhh!!!!!!!!

Way to go Benning.  Solid drafting.

Seems more of a loss for Florida than Vancouver though.  Vancouver traded him and Florida just let him go for effectively nothing.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Guddy seems to have found a home in Anaheim. Good for him. Too bad he didn’t work out. My favourite trade in recent memory Pearson for Guddy. Don’t really care how it started. The fact that JB pulled off that trade to Pittsburgh was a thing of beauty. Plus McCann seems like a punk.

Don't forget that Gaudz is the same age as McCann with slightly lower numbers but is a better fit on how this team is constructed. I don;'t think McCann is cut out to be a 3rd 4th line centreman, he doesn't have Gaudettes drive

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Yeah he does. Fits in well there for their rebuild. Protect the younger guys and play reasonable minutes. Ducks have a bunch of guys who'll need time to improve. What they really need is to get a top 3 pick/elite player, they have a few good pieces like Zegras, Steel, Comtois but they're not the type of players to step in and make a huge impact, they'll need time.

Pearson's been nothing but great. Can't complain with how McCann ended up in Pittsburgh, Florida seems like the biggest loser.

13 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Way to go Benning.  Solid drafting.

Seems more of a loss for Florida than Vancouver though.  Vancouver traded him and Florida just let him go for effectively nothing.

Virtanen is definitely coming around too. So all is good.

27 minutes ago, oldnews said:

not sure that's relevent though.

Both McCann and Virtanen could be seen as 'young-minded' players in their first few draft+ seasons.

And both have 14/14/28 pts at this point.

But the relevent 'comparision' is:

Pearson - 14 goals, 23 assists, 37 pts, 16:28 game, (2 shorthanded assists and 1 sh goal!), 47.4% ozone starts.....

McCann - 14 goals, 14 assists, 28 pts, 15:24 game, 54.5% ozone starts...

McCann is younger, with room to continue to develop.   Pearson is perhaps a better fit - he's more of a powerforward, one that is versatile (can pk).

All in all, not a bad (albeit indirect) hockey trade in the end.  I don't think the Canucks 'need' another center, particularly one on the slight side (McCann is 185lbs) - I think he'd be a winger conversion if he were here (he's also still not a very good faceoff guy...)  All the hand-wringing over this deal - which continued in Vancouver into October of 2019 - local media still obsessing over how much this will haunt Vancouver = all the hand-wringing was probably overblown (and continues to be).   And in fairness to Gudbranson - for a guy that's allegedly a throwback type player that no longer belongs in the NHL - he's still playing 20+ minutes in Anaheim's top 4 and doing well (not exactly a weak group of D there, either).

bingo. We're not suffering from how this trade scenario played out. Maybe you can make an argument for the 2nd round pick finding a place on the team by now... maybe.

I don't see the Guddy experiment as a failure, it was worth a shot given where the team was at.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

bingo. We're not suffering from how this trade scenario played out. Maybe you can make an argument for the 2nd round pick finding a place on the team by now... maybe.

I don't see the Guddy experiment as a failure, it was worth a shot given where the team was at.

yes - there were a couple players taken after that spot in that draft that have emerged as good NHLers - and of course, 'we' would have taken one of them.

however, ironically, the Panthers themselves traded that pick - to Buffalo (it became Asplund) - and took Mascherin themselves - one spot before DeBrincat lol - the one player in that draft, thus far, that everyone pines over having missed out on.

I guess we'll just have to suffer along with Demko, Hoglander, Lind, Woo.... it's too bad Benning didn't capitalize on other 2nd round picks to make up for that one.

I also agree that the Gud deal wasn't a failure - he was a worthwhile risk - he was dealt for a pretty damn good player - and no matter how anyone slices the outcome, it's really hard to chalk it up as a loss, short of sandbagging Pearson (and Gudbranson) or assuming McCann is going to be the next Huberdeau (and wadr, he's not exactly tracking on that kind of trajectory).  Not a bad string of 'hockey deals' in the end, imo (if anyone 'lost', it's probably the Panthers).   It's also worth keeping in mind that the Penguins lost Hagelin-Pearson-Gudbranson due to cap in the end (wound up having to shed cap, selling Johnson/Gudbranson low = Anaheim being the benefactor).

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

yes - there were a couple players taken after that spot in that draft that have emerged as good NHLers - and of course, 'we' would have taken one of them.

however, ironically, the Panthers themselves traded that pick - to Buffalo (it became Asplund) - and took Mascherin themselves - one spot before DeBrincat lol - the one player in that draft, thus far, that everyone pines over having missed out on.

I guess we'll just have to suffer along with Demko, Hoglander, Lind, Woo.... it's too bad Benning didn't capitalize on other 2nd round picks to make up for that one.

Hoglander's a beauty, I'm pretty happy with that pick, and Rathbone might just be another late round gem too. 

Pearson has put together what might be the quietest 60 pt pace season I've seen. He isn't getting enough credit for what he's doing.

• Cheers 1