The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linus Karlsson | C

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 8:51 AM, dpn1 said:

Can he play in the AHL next season?  We need centers in Utica and he is looking better as we hear more about him.

He can, just needs to sign and ELC. I think the team may be more inclined to let him play another year in Sweden before coming over, but that all depends on what Karlsson wants to do with his career. We have until June 2022 to figure out what to do with him

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

Karlsson's season has been the tale of two teams. His first team, Karlskrona, was somewhat challenged offensively. Their leading scorer has 37 points in 52 games (0.71 PPG) and Karlsson in his time there before the trade had 22 points in 36 games (0.61 PPG). Karlsson's new team however has some more offensive firepower and his offense has taken off as a result. Karlskoga, his new team, has the 6th and 7th leading scorers in the league at just over 1PPG each. Karlsson has put up 18 points in 12 games (1.5 PPG) on this team.

If Karlsson does stay in Sweden for another year, hopefully he can continue this kind of offensive output. 

I’d rather him come to Utica. We don’t have much centre prospect depth and he would develop well given a lot of opportunities in a tougher league. The problem in Utica with Dahlen is that he wasn’t willing to put in the work that the coach asked to earn ice time. I don’t see that problem with Karlsson.

• Cheers 3

16 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

I’d rather him come to Utica. We don’t have much centre prospect depth and he would develop well given a lot of opportunities in a tougher league. The problem in Utica with Dahlen is that he wasn’t willing to put in the work that the coach asked to earn ice time. I don’t see that problem with Karlsson.

I know that this has been the mantra for a couple of years,  but this season has been different.  Graovac and Stevens were great pick ups to complement Hamilton, Camper and Malone, and during an injury period Jasek came thru with flying colours as an emergency replacement center between Bailey and Lind for the most part but also seeing duty between Baertschi and Goldobin.

I think Linus' development would be best served with another year in Sweden

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Googlie said:

I know that this has been the mantra for a couple of years,  but this season has been different.  Graovac and Stevens were great pick ups to complement Hamilton, Camper and Malone, and during an injury period Jasek came thru with flying colours as an emergency replacement center between Bailey and Lind for the most part but also seeing duty between Baertschi and Goldobin.

I think Linus' development would be best served with another year in Sweden

Hamilton, Camper and Malone are not Canuck prospects, they are Utica signings. Canuck signings in Utica at the Center position are Graovac and Jasek. Graovac has spent most of the year injured. Since Gaudette made the Canucks, they are so weak at centre, with the combination of retreads, the perpetually injured, and simply inadequate that they had to reposition Jasek (which was a benefit for Jasek). But centre ice is definitely the weak spot on the team. That could improve dramatically if Karlsson makes the journey, but there is also the remote possibility that Focht or Costmar could make the team, or that the Canucks could pick up another free agent project such as MacEwen - or an unsigned college player that is closer to being ready to make the jump to minor pro.

• Cheers 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Great news!  Good to see he's picking up where he left of with Karlskoga.  BTW, I thought that Karlskoga was playing in the playoffs to make it to SHL last season?  

Man, what a beautiful thing it'd be if we squeezed 8-10 awesome yrs outa' this kid. With Burr's legendary Canuck-karma, would be mighty apropos to see that fandangled into another decade of a diligent, smart, contributing Swede.

It's hard to compare such a wide, diverse aspect amongst all teams.. but I feel Van has done an amazing job of recycling past assets into future talent & hope. Ironic because one of the fav bashings of JB has been not to accumulate enough picks in deals. Yet still it seems we've managed to parlay a fair amount of past capital into contributing(or soon to be), younger assets.

More satisfying to me as a fan, when you can trace the lineage of dynamic, arriving youth, to the departure of respected stars of yesteryear. Your latest incarnation of a rebuilt team then has that more organic, authentic vibe. & wonder, does it feel different to arrive this way as a young player?

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

22 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

It's hard to compare such a wide, diverse aspect amongst all teams.. but I feel Van has done an amazing job of recycling past assets into future talent & hope. Ironic because one of the fav bashings of JB has been not to accumulate enough picks in deals. Yet still it seems we've managed to parlay a fair amount of past capital into contributing(or soon to be), younger assets.

It would be great to see Karlsson become an NHL player. But I really couldn't disagree more with this particular statement. When you look at what Benning has done with past assets, a lot of those trades don't point to anything definitive. 

Wins:

Thomas Vanek became Tyler Motte. Hard to categorize this trade with past assets since Vanek signed as a UFA but it was a win nonetheless. 

Eddie Lack became Guillaume Brisebois and Brett McKenzie. Brisebois is a great depth guy in the system when injuries happen. 

Maybe: 

Alex Burrows became Jonathan Dahlen. For whatever reason that became Linus Karlsson. Neither player has made it to the NHL. 

Jannik Hansen became Nikolay Goldobin and 4th round pick. Goldobin couldn't make it in the NHL. The Canucks dealt the 4th to Chicago for additional picks that were used to draft Petrus Palmu and Kristoffer Gunnarsson. 

Jason Garrison became Linden Vey. 

Hunter Shinkaruk became Markus Grandlund. A short term win for the Canucks but largely a wash since both players are now in the KHL. 

Nicklas Jensen became Emerson Etem. Another short term win. Jensen is in the KHL. Etem is now starting a coaching career. 

Zack Kassian became Brandon Prust. The Canucks had to add a fifth round pick to get Prust and he spent the year injured and pouting about not being in Montreal. 

Kevin Bieksa became a 2nd that was swapped with Pittsburgh in a package for their 3rd in the Brandon Sutter trade. The Canucks drafted William Lockwood.

Karlsson, Brisebois, Palmu, Gunnarsson and Lockwood. No offence but I wouldn't use the word amazing for this group of prospects. 

Edited by CallAfterLife
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, CallAfterLife said:

It would be great to see Karlsson become an NHL player. But I really couldn't disagree more with this particular statement. When you look at what Benning has done with past assets, a lot of those trades don't point to anything definitive. 

Wins:

Thomas Vanek became Tyler Motte. Hard to categorize this trade with past assets since Vanek signed as a UFA but it was a win nonetheless. 

Eddie Lack became Guillaume Brisebois and Brett McKenzie. Brisebois is a great depth guy in the system when injuries happen. 

Maybe: 

Alex Burrows became Jonathan Dahlen. For whatever reason that became Linus Karlsson. Neither player has made it to the NHL. 

Jannik Hansen became Nikolay Goldobin and 4th round pick. Goldobin couldn't make it in the NHL. The Canucks dealt the 4th to Chicago for additional picks that were used to draft Petrus Palmu and Kristoffer Gunnarsson. 

Jason Garrison became Linden Vey. 

Hunter Shinkaruk became Markus Grandlund. A short term win for the Canucks but largely a wash since both players are now in the KHL. 

Nicklas Jensen became Emerson Etem. Another short term win. Jensen is in the KHL. Etem is now starting a coaching career. 

Zack Kassian became Brandon Prust. The Canucks had to add a fifth round pick to get Prust and he spent the year injured and pouting about not being in Montreal. 

Kevin Bieksa became a 2nd that was swapped with Pittsburgh in a package for their 3rd in the Brandon Sutter trade. The Canucks drafted William Lockwood.

Karlsson, Brisebois, Palmu, Gunnarsson and Lockwood. No offence but I wouldn't use the word amazing for this group of prospects. 

Thorough post & quite reasonable argument. I didn't specify above, but in truth I was thinking more in terms of an overall, organization sense(spanning GM's & decades). Like still getting mileage outa' varied assets like the Kesler, Schneider, & (wayyy back to) the original Linden pick.

Feel this is a somewhat stealthy way for a team to potentially maintain competitiveness.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
typo

17 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Thorough post & quite reasonable argument. I didn't specify above, but in truth I was thinking more in terms of an overall, organization sense(spanning GM's & decades). Like still getting mileage outa' varied assets like the Kesler, Schneider, & (wayyy back to) the original Linden pick.

Feel this is a somewhat stealthy way for a team to potentially maintain competitiveness.

Stealthy for sure, it stealthed right past me :rolleyes:

• Haha 2