The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linus Karlsson | C

1 minute ago, BananaMash said:

Love Linus Karlsson, and really wanted us to draft him. I think he could be an excellent sleeper prospect.

Encouraging outlook at least.

Wonder why the Sharks gave up on him.

They dumped Goldy on Jimbo, so perhaps they were delighted to get another call from him.

Btw, Jimbo admitted recently that he's yet to take in a Utica game this season, so he can't claim personal authority on Dahlen's failed progress.

Who then, called this trade?

Just now, Mo Grit said:

They dumped Goldy on Jimbo, so perhaps they were delighted to get another call from him.

I don't think it's anything nefarious on the Sharks end. They got the further along prospect, who they probably feel has the higher potential even though he's more of a risk. We got a younger prospect with more of an NHL transferable style of game. It looks like a hockey trade to me.

Dahlen and his agent asked for a move. I think they damage controlled the move as well as possible. 

• Upvote 3

Anyone hear the guy on the radio who said he talked to Karlssons coach and he said he was 2 years away from even being SHL ready let alone NHL ready?

I trust Benning,  but it does suck to lose a guy with Dahlins potential for a guy who from the sounds of it will be lucky to make the NHL.

• Upvote 1

Welcome Linus! Just like many other prospects before you (Including our golden boy EP40), you're going to have to prove everyone here wrong again! Excited to see you defy the odds! Don't worry, they'll all come to cheer for ya in due time! :lol:

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Specz said:

Welcome Linus! Just like many other prospects before you (Including our golden boy EP40), you're going to have to prove everyone here wrong again! Excited to see you defy the odds! Don't worry, they'll all come to cheer for ya in due time! :lol:

Dahlen was clearly a whiner.  Glad that impish little boy is gone.

Linus is going to be a player for us!  He will come play in the AHL next season, and put up BIG numbers.  Dahlen will be back in Sweden, where he belongs.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

Anyone hear the guy on the radio who said he talked to Karlssons coach and he said he was 2 years away from even being SHL ready let alone NHL ready?

I trust Benning,  but it does suck to lose a guy with Dahlins potential for a guy who from the sounds of it will be lucky to make the NHL.

you mean according to a guy on the radio who said he talked to a coach in sweden who may or may not possess a crystal ball, a 3rd round pick might not play in the nhl until they're 23  or 24 years old? my word!

54 minutes ago, Qwags said:

This is a pretty good point, especially considering we’ll have a lot more decisions when it comes to who we protect this time around. Last expansion we escaped almost better off after it lol. 

This time around might be different. Imagine the uproar on here if JB “let” Dahlen get taken by Seattle. The whole “asset management” mob would be going nuclear

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

Remember when Pettersson's coach in Sweden said he'd be better off playing one more year in the SHL?  Maybe it's a Swedish coach thing wanting to keep their players :P

• Upvote 1

Thanks, @ForzaTikare. Was interested to hear your opinions on this. What you said fit with what I was thinking, I just didn’t have much personal viewings of Karlsson to base my opinion on. I hope that Karlsson will turn into a player for us. I’m encouraged by the comparison to Gaudette. And I think you’re right that Dahlén will need to succeed as a top-6 and PP player to find a role in the NHL.

Probably the Canucks didn’t see a fit here with their group, as much as the fans hoped Dahlén and Pettersson would be linemates. I always had doubts as to whether they’d be a fit as NHLers, as I think the Canucks are looking for a different player type on EP’s wing. Maybe it will end up being the best for all parties involved.

I just think I’d have preferred to have seen Dahlén stay and continue to develop (although I do question whether or not he was getting the best opportunity for this in Utica), and maybe pickup a prospect like Karlsson as part of the Gudbranson trade, or from moving some of our other surplus pieces at this TDL.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Mo Grit said:

Btw, Jimbo admitted recently that he's yet to take in a Utica game this season, so he can't claim personal authority on Dahlen's failed progress.

Who then, called this trade?

Maybe they wanted a guy that could play sooner.  Also Dahlen's pop has a long history with the organization.  

If Brackett and JB wanted this guy at the draft, then I am good with the move.  

They also have shown that if a player is unhappy they will move him.  Dahlen wanted a change, so he was moved.  Value is fair and Linus appears to be on a good track.  

Being a club that will work with players and agents in a reasonable fashion will help in signing FA's.  

One big takeaway from JB is that he corrects mistakes and is not prideful.  His ego can handle not always being right.  Look to his changing draft strategy, his ability to trade players that haven't worked out as hoped etc...  

He has made adjustments each year.  Not a common trait in a GM.  

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Thanks, @ForzaTikare. Was interested to hear your opinions on this. What you said fit with what I was thinking, I just didn’t have much personal viewings of Karlsson to base my opinion on. I hope that Karlsson will turn into a player for us. I’m encouraged by the comparison to Gaudette. And I think you’re right that Dahlén will need to succeed as a top-6 and PP player to find a role in the NHL.

Probably the Canucks didn’t see a fit here with their group, as much as the fans hoped Dahlén and Pettersson would be linemates. I always had doubts as to whether they’d be a fit as NHLers, as I think the Canucks are looking for a different player type on EP’s wing. Maybe it will end up being the best for all parties involved.

I just think I’d have preferred to have seen Dahlén stay and continue to develop (although I do question whether or not he was getting the best opportunity for this in Utica), and maybe pickup a prospect like Karlsson as part of the Gudbranson trade, or from moving some of our other surplus pieces at this TDL.

I honestly had trouble seeing Dahlen and EP40 together in the NHL.  The size issue is huge.  

Maybe that was the issue with Dahlen.  Not really alot of options for him on our current roster.  Dahlen might have been unhappy seeing his buddy light up the league while he is toiling in the AHL.  

There was friction there and the club felt that Dahlen needed to work on his weaknesses more.  Hopefully Dahlen proves JB and Cull wrong, but Linus hopefully proves them right too.