The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linus Karlsson | C

A scouting report from a Swedish fan: https://www.reddit.com/r/canucks/comments/auq4vk/canucks_acquire_linus_karlsson_from_sharks_in/

Im from Karlskrona and Im watching all Karlskrona games. So I can give my opinion about Linus Karlsson. Linus was placed in the fourth line in the beginning of the season until we sold Matt Carey, a top center to SHL. Then Linus got placed in second line. We start to see a little more from Linus now. He has started to produce more points and is much more visible on the ice. He has good wrists and can also put some good passes that leads to goals. He hasn't shot so often during the season but I know he has a good shot from last season in Karlskrona J20. He is a hard-working center who also tries to be a bit tough with the opponents. He might need to work on his speed on the skates. Luckily, we have a good physio coach here in Karlskrona. I see potential in Linus Karlsson.

EDIT: I want to add that his face-offs need some improvements too. It's better now than it was at the beginning of the season tho. I've also met and talked with Linus once, and he is a really nice guy and seems really motivated to improve his game.

Another underrated upside to this trade: as an European draftee, Karlsson's rights won't expire until June 2022.  That gives him full three seasons after this one to work on his strength and skating with a pro club.  He can play another season in Allsvenskan, maybe move up to the SHL the year after and stay there for a couple seasons, before we have to sign him.  By the time he comes over, he could be close to a finished product and won't need much time in the AHL. 

Edited by GoldenAlien
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

is Linus under contract next year in Sweden or is he able to sign a deal and compete down in the AHL with the Comets?

His contract expires this offseason but Id be very surprised if he moved over here this summer. Much more likely he grows his game in sweden for 1-2 more years.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure where he's going to fit in, being a C. Maybe he can eventually move over to the wing?

Pettersson

Horvat

Gaudette

Madden

Karlsson

Any idea how Dmitry Zhukenov is doing in the KHL? Will he ever come over to play in Utica? Looks like he had two real good seasons in the Q and then bolted back to Europe last year. Seems he's now struggling in that league (KHL).

21 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm not sure where he's going to fit in, being a C. Maybe he can eventually move over to the wing?

Pettersson

Horvat

Gaudette

Madden

Karlsson

Any idea how Dmitry Zhukenov is doing in the KHL? Will he ever come over to play in Utica? Looks like he had two real good seasons in the Q and then bolted back to Europe last year. Seems he's now struggling in that league (KHL).

Never know how these guys will develop. Madden or Karlsson could flop for all we know. If they do pan out then Id imagine that Madden gets shifted to the wing as he could be a very talented top 6 winger.

February 2019 – Karlsson has been traded from San Jose to Vancouver for Jonathan Dahlén. The 19-year-old has struggled to replicate the offensive dominance that was his calling card in the SuperElit during the 2017-18 campaign. His squad, Karlskrona, features several SHL veteran centres who vie for time ahead of the two-way Karlsson. He’s been finding his way from the middle-six for most of the year. Karlsson boasts high-end intelligence, a great work ethic and a strong release. He’s still growing and filling into his frame, but his maturity – especially on the defensive side of the puck, is impressive. His contract is up at the end of this season, so we may see the 87th overall selection from last June in the AHL to close out 2018-19 or begin 2019-20. Cam Robinson

https://dobberprospects.com/player/linus-karlsson/

Would be nice to see what we have in Linus Karlsson if he did come over for a bit at the tail end of Utica's season.  He may may be put in considering Utica is strap for Centers in general. 

8 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

February 2019 – Karlsson has been traded from San Jose to Vancouver for Jonathan Dahlén. The 19-year-old has struggled to replicate the offensive dominance that was his calling card in the SuperElit during the 2017-18 campaign. His squad, Karlskrona, features several SHL veteran centres who vie for time ahead of the two-way Karlsson. He’s been finding his way from the middle-six for most of the year. Karlsson boasts high-end intelligence, a great work ethic and a strong release. He’s still growing and filling into his frame, but his maturity – especially on the defensive side of the puck, is impressive. His contract is up at the end of this season, so we may see the 87th overall selection from last June in the AHL to close out 2018-19 or begin 2019-20. Cam Robinson

https://dobberprospects.com/player/linus-karlsson/

Would be nice to see what we have in Linus Karlsson if he did come over for a bit at the tail end of Utica's season.  He may may be put in considering Utica is strap for Centers in general. 

I don't think he's at AHL level yet, from what I've read.

• Cheers 1

On 2/27/2019 at 11:43 AM, tas said:

the tough reality that people in this market struggle with is that not every player drafted by the team is going to be a fixture for the team, even if they develop into good players. trades happen. directions change. needs vary. 

I would hazard to guess this is common in every market.. homerism at its finest or straight up delusion, I couldn't say..

there's like what, 700ish players under contract in the league? and every year a couple hundred players are drafted - anywhere close to that number that leave the league every year..? I don't think so. 

is it even reasonable to expect 1 prospect move up every year on a good team? maybe because of our rebuild many people are expecting magical things from our prospects.. 

Bo, Virt, Hutton, Boes, Stetch and EP are fixtures.. Gaudette and maybe even Goldy are looking like keepers, with Demko & Mac showing promise.. that's already a pretty good size squad of young talent. with Quinn & OJ getting a look in the next couple years, we're going to have one of the younger cores in the league..

not sure what people are expecting, there's only so much room.. only the best of the best make it to the bigs. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

I am probably in the minority, but if his deal is up this summer, I would sign him and want him to develop in Utica. My reasoning for this is recent non EP prospects seem to have struggled to adjust to the size of players and smaller ice surface. So while he could develop over in Europe for a couple years, he would still have to make that adjustment eventually.

Heck I think he is young enough he could even sign with a CHL team for next season instead of Utica which he may or may not be ready for AHL action.

Just my opinion, but that is the route I would prefer, get the euro guys over on NA sized ice earlier the better. I believe W. Nylander went to A as did Pastrnak after being drafted. As did Lias Andersson for NYR probably others but those 3 pop into my head

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

This is the top league in Sweden correct?

nope, it's the swedish ahl (though the gap between allsvenskan and shl isn't as severe as the one between ahl and nhl).

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I don't know much about him and I would hope JB does.

But those numbers are not good when compared to Dahlen. Oh well.

While I do think Dahlen is the better offensive prospect his numbers were a bit inflated in his draft +1 season by getting to play with Pettersson.

7 hours ago, Dungass said:

This trade reminds of the Jeff Brown trade in '95.  Hated it, was unfathomable at the time and just tried to chalk it up as a loss and move on.

Jeff Brown was pretty much kicked off the team and shipped out because he had an affair with Kirk MacLeans wife. 

This trade was nothing like the Brown trade. 

Felt so bad for captain Kirk. He was a good guy.. pretty much ruined his hockey career. He was never the same goalie afterwords. 

• Cheers 1