The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linus Karlsson | C

On 8/27/2019 at 8:42 PM, Googlie said:

Timrafan -  you might know ......

Did I infer correctly from Petey's comments a few months ago that Eriksson flew Dahlen to Vancouver at Christmas to spend it with Petey and with Loui's family?

If so, it might have galled him to bask in his buddy's success (or, maybe his frustration with how Cull deployed him might have been bolstered by Eriksson's growing frustration at his own deployment by Green)

No, I truly believe he lost his lust for hockey due to bad communication. Not because he galled. He wouldn't have stayed in Timrå if it was only glory and money he wanted the season he brought Timrå to SHL. He could have been in SHL that season but choose Timrå. I think more the bad season for Timrå caused problem. I think he wanted to skip AHL and help Timrå stay in SHL. 

On 8/10/2019 at 12:13 AM, RetroCanuck said:

Am I the only one that really likes Karlsson as a prospect? Every ranking I see has him way down their list, but in my mind he's easily comparable as a prospect to Lind, Lockwood and Jasek.

I think he's going to boom up a lot of prospect list and be close to a top 10 prospect by the end of the year.

I liked him! My take;

I drafted him 5th round in my fantasy pool. A value pick. Live, a day before SJ picked him 3rd round. Not when we traded for him? NHL size, skills. Plays all parts of the game, can PK, take match ups. Got into some SHL games his draft year as a role player 17 years old. Which says a lot. Big goal scorer in junior with a nice shot. Good work ethic on and off the ice. Needs speed to ''make it'' was the word, had the rest.

Saw him as a safe, but unspectacular prospect. A shot at a 3rd line NHL'er...

About what you would hope for in that circumstance?

Real goal, any player who makes it...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I liked him! My take;

I drafted him 5th round in my fantasy pool. A value pick. Live, a day before SJ picked him 3rd round. Not when we traded for him? NHL size, skills. Plays all parts of the game, can PK, take match ups. Got into some SHL games his draft year as a role player 17 years old. Which says a lot. Big goal scorer in junior with a nice shot. Good work ethic on and off the ice. Needs speed to ''make it'' was the word, had the rest.

Saw him as a safe, but unspectacular prospect. A shot at a 3rd line NHL'er...

About what you would hope for in that circumstance?

Real goal, any player who makes it...

I think this is another Shinkaruk for Granlund type deal. We give up the perceived higher ceiling guy and get a higher floor guy back. 

I think the odds are stacked against Dahlen ever making it. It's too bad, the Burrows and Hansen trades were considered a success by most of us but we're very close to neither of them working out. I wouldn't hold that against Benning though. That's just bad luck. We'll see about Karlsson though and I think we drafted Gunnarsson with the 4th round pick we got from the Sharks.

Edit: Oh ya, I guess we still have that Goldobin guy on our roster too. Maybe he took some of that good Russian HGH this summer ^_^

Edited by VIC_CITY

3 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

I think this is another Shinkaruk for Granlund type deal. We give up the perceived higher ceiling guy and get a higher floor guy back. 

I think the odds are stacked against Dahlen ever making it. It's too bad, the Burrows and Hansen trades were considered a success by most of us but we're very close to neither of them working out. I wouldn't hold that against Benning though. That's just bad luck. We'll see about Karlsson though and I think we drafted Gunnarsson with the 4th round pick we got from the Sharks.

Edit: Oh ya, I guess we still have that Goldobin guy on our roster too. Maybe he took some of that good Russian HGH this summer ^_^

Just on a fun note?

I never liked Shinkaruk.  I was neither for, or against his move out.  Because I had not been tracing Granlund. But I my observation of Shinkaruk at his first summer camp said he did not take full fitness seriously.  With arms that looked like Pettersson at draft age could cut him in half.  I made numerous posts in the Shinkaruk thread even at draft age wondering if he was serious?

I never had the same feeling about Dahlen.  

A brother of a guy who won the MVP of the Mac's AAA tourney (guys like Joe Sakic and Jeremey Roenick have won the MVP of the same tourney) told me that his bro quit playing hockey because he had people coming up to him saying he sucked, was a puck hog, couldn't play, was a bad player, and many more colourful adjectives to describe his play...especially when he was identified as a talented player. He quit because he didn't have the desire to keep playing and putting up with the BS that comes with being a good hockey player ... a player needs to accept the good with the bad...comes with the territory, unfortunately...and it comes down to DESIRE, which a lot of times separates those who make it from those who don't...along with getting caught up with fast women, alcohol, drugs and good times...lol

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, Pete M said:

A brother of a guy who won the MVP of the Mac's AAA tourney (guys like Joe Sakic and Jeremey Roenick have won the MVP of the same tourney) told me that his bro quit playing hockey because he had people coming up to him saying he sucked, was a puck hog, couldn't play, was a bad player, and many more colourful adjectives to describe his play...especially when he was identified as a talented player. He quit because he didn't have the desire to keep playing and putting up with the BS that comes with being a good hockey player ... a player needs to accept the good with the bad...comes with the territory, unfortunately...and it comes down to DESIRE, which a lot of times separates those who make it from those who don't...along with getting caught up with fast women, alcohol, drugs and good times...lol

At least he had people with the balls to tell him to his face. You generally can tell if these people (when you see them face to face) that they're not worth taking seriously. The people that can't get away from social media and let the trolls take over (generally people you can also not take seriously), I just don't get how hard it is to simply turn it off and ignore it, but it's a serious problem these days.

I guess when you grow up in a world where you've been told "you're amazing" and 'you're going to make it", then a small dose of reality or simply any negativity comes your way, then you crumble. I find it tends to happen to people that put up a lot of offense and feel like that's all they need to do to get by. It's almost like the people that are naturally bigger than others feel so dominant so they don't put the work in to get faster and read plays better. In these cases, players could be very talented, but don't put in the work to round out their game. Very few players get by with just offense alone (eg Patrick Kane) and you need to be at the upper echelon to do so. It's still tantalizing for teams to pick up these talented (and bigger) guys because teams feel they can coach the other part to their game, but then some of these players can't handle being "coached".

Edit: I get the feeling that the people that told him those things were other hockey parents. Probably felt like he wasn't helping their kids excel and this taking all the spotlight. Some hockey parents are atrocious people that think their kid is better than they really are and feel the need to intervene to get their kid to move up when the reality they're likely projecting and their kid actually isn't very good. So it's unfortunate that your brother's friend didn't pursue it further, but if he couldn't handle it now, it's only going to get worse the higher up you go.

Edited by theo5789

7 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

At least he had people with the balls to tell him to his face. You generally can tell if these people (when you see them face to face) that they're not worth taking seriously. The people that can't get away from social media and let the trolls take over (generally people you can also not take seriously), I just don't get how hard it is to simply turn it off and ignore it, but it's a serious problem these days.

I guess when you grow up in a world where you've been told "you're amazing" and 'you're going to make it", then a small dose of reality or simply any negativity comes your way, then you crumble. I find it tends to happen to people that put up a lot of offense and feel like that's all they need to do to get by. It's almost like the people that are naturally bigger than others feel so dominant so they don't put the work in to get faster and read plays better. In these cases, players could be very talented, but don't put in the work to round out their game. Very few players get by with just offense alone (eg Patrick Kane) and you need to be at the upper echelon to do so. It's still tantalizing for teams to pick up these talented (and bigger) guys because teams feel they can coach the other part to their game, but then some of these players can't handle being "coached".

tbh, if I was an elite athlete, I would not be on social media...however, I'd read CDC...lol

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

That happens a lot more than many believe. As a rule the comments are correct but it's the cause that has to be examined. As youngster come through the system coaches have wanted wins more than they want to coach. Young stars were treated different to the rest of the team. For instance some thing as simple as the third forward playing high. If it was the star and he didn't do it there was no repercussion. Others were sat or missed a shift the star...get out there. The result in the game might be a win but long term it was bad. It ruins so many youngsters.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

That happens a lot more than many believe. As a rule the comments are correct but it's the cause that has to be examined. As youngster come through the system coaches have wanted wins more than they want to coach. Young stars were treated different to the rest of the team. For instance some thing as simple as the third forward playing high. If it was the star and he didn't do it there was no repercussion. Others were sat or missed a shift the star...get out there. The result in the game might be a win but long term it was bad. It ruins so many youngsters.

What you say is one aspect of the hockey side of playing; however, there is also a human side (going to get a little deeper), 15 to 20 year olds are just starting to experience and struggle with independence...most are very impressionable,  can be influenced and are starting to experience their own mortality (their limits and capabilities), this is why it is very helpful to have a stable support system to help a player keep focused....there are many distractions during the adolescence years that can lead a player in the wrong direction.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Pete M said:

What you say is one aspect of the hockey side of playing; however, there is also a human side (going to get a little deeper), 15 to 20 year olds are just starting to experience and struggle with independence...most are very impressionable,  can be influenced and are starting to experience their own mortality (their limits and capabilities), this is why it is very helpful to have a stable support system to help a player keep focused....there are many distractions during the adolescence years that can lead a player in the wrong direction.

By the time a player is 16+ it's tough to break old habits …. for most. If they're used to getting their own way on the ice it will stick with them, heck as a rec player we all know the puck hogs. Players that are distracted by life style off the ice IMO ain't going any where. I always remember Harold Sneptz say many of the kids that he played with who were a lot more talented but never made it was because they weren't committed.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

By the time a player is 16+ it's tough to break old habits …. for most. If they're used to getting their own way on the ice it will stick with them, heck as a rec player we all know the puck hogs. Players that are distracted by life style off the ice IMO ain't going any where. I always remember Harold Sneptz say many of the kids that he played with who were a lot more talented but never made it was because they weren't committed.

also, what comes natural is easy....it's when "what comes natural" isn't good enough and the player then needs to adjust, adapt and learn new things, this is when development gets more difficult.

Hopefully Linus can keep developing (has greater ability/ capability than Dahlen) and is able to learn and adjust to new things.

15 minutes ago, Pete M said:

also, what comes natural is easy....it's when "what comes natural" isn't good enough and the player then needs to adjust, adapt and learn new things, this is when development gets more difficult.

Hopefully Linus can keep developing (has greater ability/ capability than Dahlen) and is able to learn and adjust to new things.

Interesting, one with less skill may succeed in fact when the other fails. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2019 at 3:50 AM, JoeHockey said:

Linus Karlsson has started his season. 1 goal after 3 games played

His goal was an empty netter which can be seen in the video within the article here...starts around 2.25

https://www.khk.se/gamecenter/qWX-8BWldB5Zv/articles/post

Thanks for posting this.

Nice goal; steals the puck, works his way free of 4 opponents, and scores.

• Upvote 1

On 8/28/2019 at 1:21 AM, Kanukfanatic said:

Good god...if NHL players and prospects are too thin skinned to read social media and whine about it, or too stupid to read it in the first place, they will never make the big leagues imo. Successful people don't let others dictate their mood nor their performance. 

What a thin skilled little millennial Dahlen is whining about fans giving him a hard time. Boo frickin hoo. 

Good riddance. 

While I agree, I do hope and think the clubs in this day and age, pull their younger players to the side and have a serious talk about social media. 

No the slightest concerned about Dahlen, but the thought of a prospect losing focus due to the garbage being posted, doesn’t fill me with joy. 

I do agree to players should have nuts big enough to deal with it, but some of the prospects are very young...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1