The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The TDL Benning Complaint Thread Department

Warhippy

The standards have been set so low for this fanbase in regards to Benning's tenure that two lateral, inconsequential trades are seen as wins lol.

What happened to accountability? Shouldn't we strive to get the best GM/coach/players on every level in this organization? Why does Benning get a free pass every time.

2 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I'm more upset that Gaudette, Demko and Schenn can't re-join Utica for the Playoffs.

That same crap happens every year and it's a big blow to the farm, the exact place that should be helping. 

Just means some of the younger guys are going to get more ice. Not a bad thing.

3 minutes ago, OneSeventeen said:

I don't really mind any of the moves Benning made.

But my god, the second round pick given up for Gudbranson is just so glaring right now.

Jordan Kyrou, Alex DeBrincat, our former Johnathan Dahlen, Carter Hart, Kale Clague, Dillon Dube and Taylor Raddysh.

Possibilities. 

Hindsight is 20/20 - no guarantee Benning and company pick any of those. I will agree however that in the cap world picks should be treated as a very valuable commodity and I think Benning is learning from that - unlike McPhee in Vegas who hands away his prospects like candy :frantic:

The Canuck fan base as a whole is pretty intelligent despite the bad rap we get around the league. That being said, there’s a ton of simpleton fair weather fans on social media and a few on these boards who tend to complain for the sake of complaining about everything management does without an intelligent argument to back it up. 

If anybody is complaining about today they need a serious reality check. Benning f’d up by resigning Guddy. Actually, he f’d up by acquiring him in the first place. That being said, I get where he was coming from when he traded for him. Today he managed to get basically the only thing he could have gotten for him, another struggling player on a similar contract. I call it a win. As for Dahlin, clearly the Canucks brass knows something we don’t and the kid wanted to be traded. Kinda ties your hands when you have a player who doesn’t wanna be here. 

24 minutes ago, BlueDragon23 said:

I trust Jim so I’m not complaining. The idiots on the HF boards are not worth my,  yours nor anyone else’s time.

Because Canuck fans on one forum are obviously idiots, and it's a completely different set of fans here. It's definitely not the same. Nope. Definitely not. 

21 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Add draft picks like LA, Pens and especially Hawks did before they went on to win multiple cups.  If you're going into a draft without adding picks, you're not rebuilding.  

I know the excuse was that if the team stinks it will ruin prospects.  That was proven wrong with Horvat, Boeser & Pettersson.  

I know the other excuse was that we don't have anyone to trade for picks for.  Sorry after 5 years, if you're still blaming Gillis for that then you're a fool.  This is Benning's team.  

Thank god his 'stay competitive' strategy has failed in a spectacular fashion and we at least still got to draft high last few years. 

How was Benning supposed to add picks?  Our LW depth prior to today consisted of...Eriksson, Goldobin, Spooner and oh...Schaller.  Pearson is a breath of fresh air really.  I'd rather have a guy who has won two cups and potted 20+ goals than what?  A 2nd?  Maybe a 3rd too?  Rebuilding isn't done exclusively with picks.  Look at what Ottawa did.

We made the playoffs 3 years ago.  Drafted Boeser at 23.  Bennings first draft was 2014 but first season was 2014/2015 which was the Boeser draft.  The following 3 years saw us go from the oldest team to one of the youngest.  From up against the cap to having $22 million in space to end this season.  From having 0 depth in the minors to having arguably a top 3 prospect pool.  Sorry, but after 3 years that's damned impressive and if you cannot see that you're a fool.  This IS in fact bennings team and it was supposed to be bottom 3 in the league not 5 points out of the playoffs

His stay competitive strategy is what has kept him his job.  Because NO GM is going to look at the media day in and day out and say we're planning to suck

7 minutes ago, Seinfeld said:

The standards have been set so low for this fanbase in regards to Benning's tenure that two lateral, inconsequential trades are seen as wins lol.

What happened to accountability? Shouldn't we strive to get the best GM/coach/players on every level in this organization? Why does Benning get a free pass every time.

Benning gets a free pass because this year right now is the first year that this team is truly his and not the Sedins.  For what this team was supposed to be, they're 5 points out of the playoffs while being one of the most injured teams in the league.  Pretty impressive

I firmly believe that Linus Eriksson is going to surprise a lot of people. His team is fairly mediocre and low scoring this year (they sit in the middle of the Allsvenskan right now), and it's also a fairly structured and defensive league. Dahlen's style worked well over there, but I think Eriksson plays a game that will transfer really well to North America. I know the Dahlen thing is hard not to be bitter about because of how high hopes were, but we got a neat younger prospect back.

14 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

JB got rid of a highly overpaid under-performing D-Man.  That's darn near a minor miracle. 

With the 2 biggest trade chips injured, he didn't have the ammo to fire off any meaningful trade.

It's another miracle how he traded a #24 pick and a #36 pick for Gubranson in the first place. 

And another miracle how he overpays him after seeing how he plays for 2 years. 

36 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I'm reading ti right now and it's so very very sad.  I think if I ever met Y2Canucks in person I'd spit on him.  Claiming picks were offered for Gudbranson then yelling at someone for asking for proof.  Claiming Dahlen wasn't a bad skater and didn't ask for a trade when his agent literally said it.  Claiming now that edler said he'd waive but Benning talking about re-signing forced him to pull himself off the table

Honestly, the complaints people are making here belong there with that kind of idiocy

I’ve stayed on this site completely but hear there is a lot of BS on that forum, on this site all the time.  Think I’m going to pass on it, sounds like it would make this one look like a hockey Doctorate dissertation in comparison.  Making things up completely just because seems like dishonest idiocy.   Just like the Dahlen trade for Karlsson. There, I said it.  Gudbranson was a decent move,  Pearson has proven he can get on the scoreboard playing under low scoring systems in LA, and has some toughness too, and as some CDCers have pointed out Gudbranson is the “Worst Player in the NHL”.  That distinction will now belong to...?

Just now, Drakrami said:

It's another miracle how he traded a #24 pick and a #36 pick for Gubranson in the first place. 

And another miracle how he overpays him after seeing how he plays for 2 years. 

I realize that.  I'm just glad that he was able to get rid of his mistake.  Too many GM's hold onto their failed trades too long hoping that things will change and their failures will magically turn into a positive.

JB had no qualms admitting his mistake and dropping the dead weight.

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

How was Benning supposed to add picks?  Our LW depth prior to today consisted of...Eriksson, Goldobin, Spooner and oh...Schaller.  Pearson is a breath of fresh air really.  I'd rather have a guy who has won two cups and potted 20+ goals than what?  A 2nd?  Maybe a 3rd too?  Rebuilding isn't done exclusively with picks.  Look at what Ottawa did.

We made the playoffs 3 years ago.  Drafted Boeser at 23.  Bennings first draft was 2014 but first season was 2014/2015 which was the Boeser draft.  The following 3 years saw us go from the oldest team to one of the youngest.  From up against the cap to having $22 million in space to end this season.  From having 0 depth in the minors to having arguably a top 3 prospect pool.  Sorry, but after 3 years that's damned impressive and if you cannot see that you're a fool.  This IS in fact bennings team and it was supposed to be bottom 3 in the league not 5 points out of the playoffs

His stay competitive strategy is what has kept him his job.  Because NO GM is going to look at the media day in and day out and say we're planning to suck

Benning gets a free pass because this year right now is the first year that this team is truly his and not the Sedins.  For what this team was supposed to be, they're 5 points out of the playoffs while being one of the most injured teams in the league.  Pretty impressive

What does having the Sedins off the team have anything to do with it?

Were the Sedins whispering in his ear with a gun to his head telling him to trade for and sign Gudbranson, overpay every July 1st for free agents which we were told would bring back draft picks at the end of their contracts, botch almost every trade deadline, never accumulate picks when we constantly see other teams able to with lesser assets, mishandle routine paper transactions like the whole McKenna ordeal?

Benning is the GM, not the Sedins.

5 points out of a playoffs spot? You mean 5 points from third last in the league.

4 minutes ago, Seinfeld said:

What does having the Sedins off the team have anything to do with it?

Were the Sedins whispering in his ear with a gun to his head telling him to trade for and sign Gudbranson, overpay every July 1st for free agents which we were told would bring back draft picks at the end of their contracts, botch almost every trade deadline, never accumulate picks when we constantly see other teams able to with lesser assets, mishandle routine paper transactions like the whole McKenna ordeal?

Benning is the GM, not the Sedins.

5 points out of a playoffs spot? You mean 5 points from third last in the league.

Ooooh.  Burn.  Get the popcorn.

The reason you trade at the TDL is because playoffbound teams open up their pockets and overpays for your assets. We sure didn't get overpaid for Gudbranson and Dahlen. So why the hell did we trade at the TDL?? Just wait for the right trade for the next 6 months, if nothing, then pull the plug. 

Penguins are going to thank us a lot, they have no defense to speak of other than Letang. A defensemen like Gudbranson whom they can support with their stacked team probably matches really well. All we got is Pearson, not even a middle round pick. 

2 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

The reason you trade at the TDL is because playoffbound teams open up their pockets and overpays for your assets. We sure didn't get overpaid for Gudbranson and Dahlen. So why the hell did we trade at the TDL?? Just wait for the right trade for the next 6 months, if nothing, then pull the plug. 

Penguins are going to thank us a lot, they have no defense to speak of other than Letang. A defensemen like Gudbranson whom they can support with their stacked team probably matches really well. All we got is Pearson, not even a middle round pick. 

letang got hurt     hence the pens needing a dman 

Not going to lie, my confidence in Benning was as low as its ever been the last month or so & throughout the day I was feeling ultra pessimistic. But that Gudbranson trade, and then hearing Benning's comments after, really boosted my morale as a fan.

As much as I said they needed to move Guddy, I fully expected he would be a Canuck for the duration of his contract. 

As for ppl on HF complaining about not getting picks, I think part of Pearson is that we are taking a similar contract back. I imagine @4M teams weren't lining up to offer a 2nd or a 3rd+. And I'd rather have Pearson than a later round pick.

Its been a revolving door of wingers playing with Horvat & he's scored in the past. If he works out as a T6 offensive player this is going to be an absolute home run.

29 minutes ago, combover said:

Nonis got us louie ..... was he a great gm too. 

it is what it is, 

Nonis also didn't make a deal for Brad Richards that would likely have included Kesler and Edler.  He wasn't a perfect GM, but him not making this deal is likely what cost him his job.  Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.

Archived