The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The TDL Benning Complaint Thread Department

Warhippy

12 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Add draft picks like LA, Pens and especially Hawks did before they went on to win multiple cups.  If you're going into a draft without adding picks, you're not rebuilding.  

I know the excuse was that if the team stinks it will ruin prospects.  That was proven wrong with Horvat, Boeser & Pettersson.  

I know the other excuse was that we don't have anyone to trade for picks for.  Sorry after 5 years, if you're still blaming Gillis for that then you're a fool.  This is Benning's team.  

Thank god his 'stay competitive' strategy has failed in a spectacular fashion and we at least still got to draft high last few years. 

Dude... are you okay...

JB has drafted better than any manager in club history.  This team is miles better than last years in terms of competing every night.  

Our team is also very young.  Admittedly the defence has not transitioned smoothly, but hope is just over the horizon and this off season has a ton of solid FA options.  

The current slide is what happens when Elder goes down.  He is our best d man and without him we have no other options.  

This is JB's team.  Fully and completely.  As a fan I love what he has done with drafting.   This team is in the bubble and JB has added Pearson to the LW, which we really need.  

The Guddy move opens up a spot for Sautner and Brisbiois to fight for.  Youth is coming in and we are getting better.  So what's the problem? 

He has made this team younger, faster and more skilled.  He has found great talent at the draft.  The team has improved the goaltending and goalie coaching, offence is up.  The defence was always going to take the longest to fix... you should have known that if you follow this forum.  

BTW, there is still time to add picks for players prior to the draft.  This current team has shown enough promise to complete the season intact.  I except we will be competitive down the stretch and could squeak in.  

We dont need the 1st OA.  EP40 proves that.  

14 minutes ago, spur1 said:

I think JB has a big pair. 

How many people do you know who are willing to admit that they were mistaken and then do something about it?

That is what JB did this TDL. 

So why is he mistaken so much . until he makes a significant move and clearly does something to improve this team I will not change my thoughts on his average joe mentality 

11 hours ago, Darius said:

Playing devils advocate here.

What makes you think that a latter round pick would be more successful for this team than Motte or Goldobin?  I realize that in general picks do have value, i just dont understand the obsession that proper rebuild = dump everything for picks.

Agreed.  But to be fair there are only so many project reclamation bottom six depth players a team needs as well. 

13 hours ago, Darius said:

lol that hfboards canuck forum is a gong show.

one guy spent hundreds of posts complaining about gudbranson, then the trade happens and he complains that JB didnt get more for the same guy he was calling trash since he got here.

Ahhh y2kcanucks. That poster always gives me a good laugh. You should read his posts on the 2017 draft. Man was a salty sailor after we drafted petey.

13 hours ago, Darius said:

is that the guy that has like 75,000 posts complaining about benning?  they think Botchford is a solid inside source over there.

Another example of the buffoonery of that HFBOARD clan is they keep bringing up the Canuck d, and how horrible it is.  At the same time they want to tank, year after year.  So how do you  QUICKLY build a good D?  You cough up high draft picks a la calgary, or you pay through the nose in trades using your best players, or you pay big time in the UFA market.  If Canucks did any of those things they would have raked Benning over the coals.  So at the end of the day you build a d through the draft....but they are too impatient for that too.  @#$# those guys - there is no way to please them.  I only go there once in a while to read the comedy, enough to puke in my mouth a little.

To be fair. Hfboards isnt too bad once you leave the canucks portion of it. Their buisiness of hockey page can be really cool. 

Frankly Im not a Benning fan . Our rebuild is progressing but slowly JB's ability to not be able to build or develop a top notch D core while signing or trading for reclamation projects is holding this team back. His drafting has been good running around .500. Personally I would not have drafted Hughes, Virtanen, Juolevi, or Lind, better options were avalible at the time. But time will

1 hour ago, vannuck59 said:

After seeing another trade deadline ,Im sure Benning is about the worst GM in the NHL . He consistently shops at the dollar thrift store . Reclamation projects running around rubbing every lamp trying to find a jinnee in a bottle. Come on  grow a pair. 

How would you feel if Benning traded this year's and next year's first and second round picks. Throw in Gaudette and juolevi and we could have gotten players like Stone Duchene Dzingle.

Or trade our young building piece players who are under 24 for more picks to try to draft the same caliber of player? Except these picks would be coming from teams making the playoffs so likely 17-31.

And don't even talk about trading any of those injured players. Ask yourself how you would feel if the Canucks had a real shot at the cup and they traded picks and prospects for an injured player.

Also, Benning was shopping the bargain bins, he was getting rid of the worst player on the team and quite frankly Pearson has a much better history that gudbranson.

12 hours ago, The 5th Line said:
12 hours ago, Darius said:

For every gaudette there are 10 misses.  But really, what makes you think that a 4th or 5th rounder would bring more value to the team than say Tyler Motte? Motte is in the NHL contributing, the 3rd or 4th or 5th rounder has a small chance of even sniffing the NHL.  I can see how the draft picks can be used as currency in trades, but im not convinced that latter round picks are more valuable than players like motte or goldobin.

Okay so why does every other team not trade for these guys, why are the rangers, red wings, kings collecting picks and not 3rd/4th liners..these are storied franchises who I'm pretty sure know what they are doing.   The more picks you have the better chance we nail one of them.   

Just look at all the picks that get moved every year at this time, but never to us, the team that keeps finishing bottom 5

There is a time when a team starts moving late picks for players like "Motte", when they have their "core" established and don't need a chance to get a surprise Norris Dman from a later round, when they are "polishing" the team off for playoff runs. Detroit moved over half their first round picks for established NHL players to keep them a playoff team for 20+ years. It wasn't until their "mined" Euro's were discovered by the rest of the league were "mined" out and aged and declined that any issues came up, they just didn't need to bump their "core" players so they traded for the best complimentary players using their picks.

While true late picks don't on average make the show very often, a good scout, like our scouting guru, was supposed to be good a finding those.

The only thing worse than failing, is failing to try.

22 minutes ago, Wanless said:

How would you feel if Benning traded this year's and next year's first and second round picks. Throw in Gaudette and juolevi and we could have gotten players like Stone Duchene Dzingle.

Or trade our young building piece players who are under 24 for more picks to try to draft the same caliber of player? Except these picks would be coming from teams making the playoffs so likely 17-31.

And don't even talk about trading any of those injured players. Ask yourself how you would feel if the Canucks had a real shot at the cup and they traded picks and prospects for an injured player.

Also, Benning was shopping the bargain bins, he was getting rid of the worst player on the team and quite frankly Pearson has a much better history that gudbranson.

^this is pretty much how I see it as well.

Benning has made mistakes.  Rookie GM is bound to do some learning on the job.  In my opinion the owner did not make things easy for the management team.

In 2015 this was a 100+ point team.  The last hurrah for the previous core.  I dont know how anyone could be reasonable and look at that 2015 roster and accompanying (pathetic) prospect pool and think any GM could have come in here - in 5 years or less- and replaced the old core, rebuilt the d core, and replenished a very thin (to say the least) prospect pool....and have this team turned around already.

The only way they could have done that (turned around this team to a successful one in 4 years or less) was to trade away multiple first rounders, and gone after big ticket UFAS - this is exactly what the tankers do not want to do - the same tankers who think this team should be on the rails to success by now.  So what do they want?  

20 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

Frankly Im not a Benning fan . Our rebuild is progressing but slowly JB's ability to not be able to build or develop a top notch D core while signing or trading for reclamation projects is holding this team back. His drafting has been good running around .500. Personally I would not have drafted Hughes, Virtanen, Juolevi, or Lind, better options were avalible at the time. But time will

Oh really? A top notch D core when the cupboards were essentially bare when he got here and the team had not drafted a defenceman in the first round since Bourdon?

I don't really have any complains but I'll chime in a bit.

I didn't have a hate on for Guddy but I didn't think we'd be able to move him and I'm surprised we got more than a late pick back. Realistically there's a better chance of someone who's been part of two championship rediscovering his offensive game than there is getting a player out of a mid to late pick. Yes, I'm aware we've managed to pick Gaudette and Madden but let's be real here. I'm looking forward to seeing how Pearson does alongside either Bo or Elias. One poor season doesn't make for a poor player, two seasons even sometimes.

I was initially disappointed about the Dahlen trade until it came out that he wanted to be moved. Yeah, JB and co could have held on to him longer and let him continue to develop but my take on it is that it's best to move guys who don't want to be around along before they become bigger headaches for management and a problem in the locker room. Dahlen was never a slam dunk to make the bigs anyway and if management and coaching thought he was closer we'd probably have seen him called up at some point already. Ain't the end of the world to me.

I'd have loved to have acquired picks somehow but that's tough to do when your best trade assets are injured. What are we gonna give up? Depth pieces and youth? I'm not for trading Elder by the way, I've been quite vocal about that. You also can't sell something when nobody's interested in buying it. Maybe next season we'll flip Sutter or something. Again, not the end of the world. It's not like we traded our picks away and it's not like things can't happen at the draft or during the summer. We stood pat like I figured we probably should at this junction and made a move in trading Guddy that probably improves the team. Toughness can be found for cheaper than 4m come UFA.

12 hours ago, Warhippy said:

The sedins with their contract and NTCs were not going anywhere.  EVERYONE in the industry was quite understandable that no rebuild could really occur, no change in culture or true rebuild until the twins retired.

If that were true TO could never have rebuilt neither could any team with two players having a "clause" could rebuild. The only thing that stopped the Canucks was "it would not be fair to them" which was a management decision.

Using your statement to the extreme this team can not rebuild because Benning has  6 "clause" contracts (5 of which he is responsible for handing out), on the books now. That happens to be more than the team had from Gillis by 2014/2015.

As far as positive or negative, that is an opinion by the observer how facts are seen, glass half full or glass half empty, there is the glass needing filing.

15 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Please feel free to seat yourself in the waiting room provided in the link below for all your ZOMG BENNING related complaints.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/forums/vancouver-canucks.36/

Honestly...wtf did you want him to do?  Tanev injured.  Edler wouldn't waive.  We don't yet have the depth to facilitate the trades or returns people seem to expect to happen.  benning has been rebuilding for just over 3 years.  Since he took over he took one of the oldest teams against the cap full of NMC and NTC's and literally zero prospect or roster depth.

His first year he traded across for NHL ready youth

His second year he traded across for NHL depth, kept a few

His third year he kept it

His fourth year he kept it

Now literally just now we're starting to see the depth of prospects enter the AHL, Still have prospects in Europe and the NCAA and have arguably two of the best young players under the age of 22 on our roster.  We were not supposed to be nearly as good as we are, we weren't supposed to challenge.  People hated Gudbranson when he brought him here, now they hate that he was traded.  people seem to think Benning lost on the DelZaster trade somehow and more.

You people literally cannot be pleased or take the time to see what is currently being built.

So please have a seat in the provided waiting room and lodge all your complaints there with the rest of the crowd.

Thank You

Management.

I am absolutely sick of this bullsh!t narrative! You people do understand CDC is not one person right? It's comprised of Canuck fans (and some haters) with different values, biases, expectations, etc. Some people wanted Guddy traded. Others wanted him kept. And they all had different reasons for that. Is this such a hard concept to grasp? Or maybe people like Warhippy and others think we should all have the same opinion that they do? 

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

There is a time when a team starts moving late picks for players like "Motte", when they have their "core" established and don't need a chance to get a surprise Norris Dman from a later round, when they are "polishing" the team off for playoff runs. Detroit moved over half their first round picks for established NHL players to keep them a playoff team for 20+ years. It wasn't until their "mined" Euro's were discovered by the rest of the league were "mined" out and aged and declined that any issues came up, they just didn't need to bump their "core" players so they traded for the best complimentary players using their picks.

While true late picks don't on average make the show very often, a good scout, like our scouting guru, was supposed to be good a finding those.

The only thing worse than failing, is failing to try.

Gambler's fallacy. 

When he took over the team they weren't just devoid of prospects, the team had no players just above the prospect level ready to take over. This was because they were trying to win.

When you are missing that middle level of developed players, you have no insulation. I think Benning acquired guys like Motte, Sutter, Goldobin, Baertschi, etc. in hopes that a few of them may turn into something. And if they didn't turn into much, they made it so the team didn't have to throw raw rookies into the lineup every year. Signing and trading for these kinda guys bought time.

This is hard for fans to swallow because it's not the traditional rebuild as seen through the eyes of the fans. Most fans want a fast rebuild. There are examples of where the sell off everything for picks and draft a new team and have everything come together and you win yet at the same time and there are more examples of the same strategy failing miserably.

This team is finally at a point where they can make some risky trades or court top end free agents. It hasn't taken that long but not everyone is patient. I like the vision that Management has. It can still backfire though; like any well thought out plan, can.

I want to believe that in the next few years we will see Management switch gears to gunning for more elite FAs or elite players through trades to compliment what we have here. If not oh well. They tried and if they failed, nothing lost in my eyes. Won't change my allegiance. Despite the apathy, the moment a winning team is on the ice again, the fans will come back in throngs, they always do.

2 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

When he took over the team they weren't just devoid of prospects, the team had no players just above the prospect level ready to take over. This was because they were trying to win.

When you are missing that middle level of developed players, you have no insulation. I think Benning acquired guys like Motte, Sutter, Goldobin, Baertschi, etc. in hopes that a few of them may turn into something. And if they didn't turn into much, they made it so the team didn't have to throw raw rookies into the lineup every year. Signing and trading for these kinda guys bought time.

This is hard for fans to swallow because it's not the traditional rebuild as seen through the eyes of the fans. Most fans want a fast rebuild. There are examples of where the sell off everything for picks and draft a new team and have everything come together and you win yet at the same time and there are more examples of the same strategy failing miserably.

This team is finally at a point where they can make some risky trades or court top end free agents. It hasn't taken that long but not everyone is patient. I like the vision that Management has. It can still backfire though; like any well thought out plan, can.

I want to believe that in the next few years we will see Management switch gears to gunning for more elite FAs or elite players through trades to compliment what we have here. If not oh well. They tried and if they failed, nothing lost in my eyes. Won't change my allegiance. Despite the apathy, the moment a winning team is on the ice again, the fans will come back in throngs, they always do.

I hate mentioning the Loser Leafs, but I think they are a perfect example of what fans suffer through if a team trades away picks/prospects for middle aged guys in hopes of making a quick rebuild.  When Burke gave up the future for Kessel and Phaneuf, the result was (within three years) fans throwing Jerseys onto the ice, and wearing paper bags to games.  I like that JB keeps his first round picks.  I would like it better if he had not traded any second round picks for middle of the pack replacement player too though.  

Gudbranson gets traded. Later that evening, with Schenn filling in, Markstrom got his 1st shutout of the season. Coincidence? ;)

Looking forward to seeing what Pearson can do on Bo's line. Giddy up.

EDIT - oh sorry, was I supposed to be complaining here? lol

Archived