The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The TDL Benning Complaint Thread Department

Warhippy

16 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I went through all of Benning's trades since he was brought in, in 2014, I believe he's made 36 trades. There are 4 trades that are still undecided as "a winner" has yet to be determined. I reviewed 32 of this trades and I think he's actually done better than some think. IMO, his trade record is 20-5-7.

The 5 Trades that were losses are: (in order of happening)

1) 2nd (2014) for Linden Vey

2) Gustav Forsling for Adam Clendening

3) Zack Kassian and a 5th for Brandon Prust

4) Jared McCann, 2nd (2016) and a 4th (2016) for Erik Gudbranson and a 5th (2016)

5) Anders Nilsson and Darren Archibald for Mike McKenna, Tom Pyatt and a 6th (2019)

There are 7 trades where there is no clear winner, so those are ties.

You could argue that 3, 4 and 5 are all washes because the immediate team they were traded didn't exactly get the better end of the deals. OFC ppl like to play Six Degrees of Seperation with trades to evaluate them. So for someone like McCann who was basically insignificant in Florida but doing ok in Pittsburgh yet is viewed as is a loss for Vancouver.

18 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

You could argue that 3, 4 and 5 are all washes because the immediate team they were traded didn't exactly get the better end of the deals. OFC ppl like to play Six Degrees of Seperation with trades to evaluate them. So for someone like McCann who was basically insignificant in Florida but doing ok in Pittsburgh yet is viewed as is a loss for Vancouver.

Not to mention he didn’t fit into the locker room at all with us, came in as an annoying entitled little twit.  He was traded as a result, and at the time Gudbranson was young with a ton of upside.   He’s doing great playing with Crosby .... who wouldn’t ... or Malkin ... who wouldn’t.   Think he’s fixed his issues and could end up been a decent hockey player.  Pearson isn’t much older than Horvat and has some fortyish point seasons under his belt as a support player...id say we lost that trade but it isn’t a major one.  

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I went through all of Benning's trades since he was brought in, in 2014, I believe he's made 36 trades. There are 4 trades that are still undecided as "a winner" has yet to be determined. I reviewed 32 of this trades and I think he's actually done better than some think. IMO, his trade record is 20-5-7.

It's important to look at the big picture with trades, not just the players & picks themselves.  

For example.

If a rebuilding team trades an old vet for an equally talented vet, is that a tie?  I'd say it's a loss because you traded for an asset that is not helping your rebuild.  

Don't know if this is a Benning complaint or just a Capt. Hindsight moment. One year of excessive injuries is bad luck. Four years in a row seems to indicate an entrenched pattern. JB has to get out GMMG's old 'health manual' and give it a shot. How do 'we' compare to other west coast and long travel teams ? If we are an outlier, we have to at least try to fix this mammoth problem !

26 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Don't know if this is a Benning complaint or just a Capt. Hindsight moment. One year of excessive injuries is bad luck. Four years in a row seems to indicate an entrenched pattern. JB has to get out GMMG's old 'health manual' and give it a shot. How do 'we' compare to other west coast and long travel teams ? If we are an outlier, we have to at least try to fix this mammoth problem !

One of a poor-middling, rebuilding team that chases the puck and the play.

The way 'out' is to keep rebuilding, get better and have other teams chase you with the puck more.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

One of a poor-middling, rebuilding team that chases the puck and the play.

The way 'out' is to keep rebuilding, get better and have other teams chase you with the puck more.

Agreed. I would really have a more educated opinion if I could compare with other west coast teams. I did a Bart Simpson search.......looked, but couldn't find the answer straight away, so I stopped looking !

16 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Agreed. I would really have a more educated opinion if I could compare with other west coast teams. I did a Bart Simpson search.......looked, but couldn't find the answer straight away, so I stopped looking !

I mean we're still going to have some of the league's worse travel and scheduling in all likelihood and those don't help either. That and just plain bad luck are certainly two pieces to the puzzle.

But the one thing we can 'control' is getting better and having the puck more.

12 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

It's important to look at the big picture with trades, not just the players & picks themselves.  

For example.

If a rebuilding team trades an old vet for an equally talented vet, is that a tie?  I'd say it's a loss because you traded for an asset that is not helping your rebuild.  

Yes and no, while the deal may be inconsequential long term you can still tie or win it in the short term especially say the Sam Gagner-Ryan Spooner deal. We traded a placeholder who was not working out for a slightly cheaper placeholder that gives a solid effort and matched Gagner’s production here. 

That deal is a win imo, we replaced a lazy entitled vet for a player who puts a solid effort in every night at no increase in pay and no loss of production. 

Archived