The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Predictions for Draft & July 1 UFA

Elliotte Friedman has suggested Canucks will be major players and will have 20-30 million in cap space to spend. It's likely the Canucks will drop out of the playoff race and then we wait for the lottery balls (Edmonton, Ott/Col and New York Rangers, Detroit likely in top 4 slots). 

Canucks need top 6 wingers (scorers), size and a D overhaul. About 20 games left in the season, predict the UFA signings and for fun guess their 1st round pick selection.

2019-2020 Roster

Pearson - Horvat - Boeser

_______ - Petterson - Leivo

Roussel - Beagle - ______

Eriksson - Gaudette - Motte

Extras: Spooner, MacEwen, _____

____ - Stecher

Hutton - ______

____ - Hughes*

Extras: Juolevi* (starts in AHL again), Sautner, Biega, Brisebois, Chatfield

Markstrom

Demko

Utica - Leighton (1 year contract vet to replace Bachman) or Mazanec 

Kalamazoo - Kublakov/DiPietro 

Draft

Picking #7 - Bowen Byram

UFA Targets

Defense

- Chara (it's Benning and co....I think they'll try 1-2 year $$$ incentive based contract ONLY if Bruins don't bring the 42 year old back)

- Brad Hunt (pp unit 2 or depth dman)

- Tyler Myers (Benning connection)

- Jake Gardiner (Canucks new whipping boy)

- Ben Chiarot

Forwards

- Micheal Haley (Benning loves a feisty player...see Marchand, Dorsett, Roussel)

- Michael Raffl

- Anders Lee (LW big body)

- Jeff Skinner (was rumored Benning had interest; will throw term likely)

- Michael Ferland (another LW big body; BC connections)

- Joonas Donskoi (putting up good numbers but only if they let Leivo go UFA)

Big name UFA Canucks will try to sign (but will fall short) = one of Karlsson + Panarin 

Trades

Edler's rights to be dealt for a pick before UFA, one or 2 of Goldobin/Virtanen/Sutter traded at the draft or July. Schaller bought out. Gaunce/Eriksson/Biega kept for Seattle expansion. Baer retires due to concussions. 

Canucks trade target - NJ Forward Miles Wood & Jets D Trouba

Honorable Mention - Granlund, Biega, Poo are gone. 

I expect us to draft around 10-12 this year and also expect to make one or two medium to large splashes in the defensemen pool based on Jim's remarks. Maybe a forward as well, but we did a lot of that last year. That said, a replacement for Baertschi is probably necessary and no one from within has shown to be good enough yet.

Personally I think we should be trading some older pieces this offseason for top picks. Then sign a UFA or three. Myers and Dzingel (or Nelson) ideally, and then an older guy like Williams who can be traded at the deadline.

Tanev for a 1st at next deadline

Sutter for a 2nd

Pearson for a 2nd

Granlund for a 3rd

Schaller for a 6th

Goldy-Pettersson-Boeser

Dzingel-Horvat-Williams

Leivo-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

Spooner                              Utica call-ups- MacEwen, Gaunce, Lind, Jasek

Edler-Myers

Hutton-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Sautner-Schenn                 Utica call-ups- Juolevi, Brisebois, Chatfield

We need to work on our defence

After being $&!# for this many years there is no excuse to be still relying on our two old workhorses (Edler/Tanev).

By now we should have had atleast 2 new guys on the big club taking serious minutes and a few legitimate guys waiting in the wing. 

Potential is always fun to get excited about but thats all it is.

A lot of competition for forward spots next year. Still a bit light on right wing though.

LW                                                C                                                   RW

Baertschi                                     Horvat                                         Boeser

Goldobin                                      Petterson                                   Virtanen

Lievo                                            Sutter                                           Eriksson                          

Roussel                                       Beagle                                          Motte

Pearson                                      Gaudette                                      Granlund

Spooner                                      Spooner

Granlund                                     Granlund

Eriksson                                     Motte

Schaller                                      Schaller

Motte

1 hour ago, Zhukini said:

So many mistakes to be made with the secondary free agent market whether it be Eberle, Gardiner, Ferland or Simmonds. 

Go big game hunting with Karlsson, if you can't don't spend money to spend money. 

Very concerned that they will make a big free agency mistake . Maybe a couple . Was only hoping to go hard after stone but that’s out the window .

Andreas Johnsson (4x3.5)-Pettersson-Boeser (8x6.5)

Ferland(5x5)-Horvat-Levio(2x1.5)

Baertschi-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

Edler(3x4.5)-Karlsson(7x11)

Hughes-Stecher

Hutton (3x3)-Schenn (1x1.25)

Marky

Demko

Move out 

Sutter 4.3 mill for picks 

Tanev 4.4 mill to Leafs for Johnsson (They won't be able to sign him) Leafs need Dman still under good contract before they can win

Eriksson 6 mill for whatever I'd include 2nd rounders to get rid of him (ARI maybe?) 2 rounders?

Pearson 3.7 for picks (Unless he works out really well with Bo or Petey 

Spooner 3.1 for someone throw in some late round picks to get rid of him 

Schaller 1.9  try to try or throw in AHL

MOVE OUT 20 mill argument sake we take back 10 million we can then move those pieces out for picks

Sign 

Erik Karlsson - 7x11 - We need a true #1 Dman that can play 20+ a night. Moves puck great. Will be valuable for Hughes to learn from. Our defence becomes really mobile. 

Micheal Ferland 5x5 - We are lacking toughness upfront and he brings this with about 40 pts 20~goals. Playoff type players thats what we are building towards. Will help Jake learn to be a mean SOB.

Then sign depth players to 1 yr deals to fill in if we get injuries.

I think they re-sign Edler and sign some lower key guys like they did this year. My guesses are Anton Stralman and Marcus Johansson.

Draft pick I think we draft around 8 and I’ll be sad when we pass on Krebs and maybe even Boldy because Benning is positionally hunting a dman and selects Broberg or Soderstrom.

Side note I do really like Soderstrom and have him in my top 10 just have him a few spots behind the forwards.

2 hours ago, Lui's Knob said:

Elliotte Friedman has suggested Canucks will be major players and will have 20-30 million in cap space to spend. It's likely the Canucks will drop out of the playoff race and then we wait for the lottery balls (Edmonton, Ott/Col and New York Rangers, Detroit likely in top 4 slots). 

Canucks need top 6 wingers (scorers), size and a D overhaul. About 20 games left in the season, predict the UFA signings and for fun guess their 1st round pick selection.

2019-2020 Roster

____ - Stecher

Hutton - ______

____ - Hughes*

Markstrom

Demko

Draft

Picking #7 - Bowen Byram

UFA Targets

Defense

- Chara (it's Benning and co....I think they'll try 1-2 year $$$ incentive based contract ONLY if Bruins don't bring the 42 year old back)

- Ben Chiarot

Forwards

- Micheal Haley (Benning loves a feisty player...see Marchand, Dorsett, Roussel)

- Michael Raffl

Big name UFA Canucks will try to sign (but will fall short) = one of Karlsson + Panarin 

Trades

Edler's rights to be dealt for a pick before UFA, one or 2 of Goldobin/Virtanen/Sutter traded at the draft or July. Schaller bought out. Gaunce/Eriksson/Biega kept for Seattle expansion. Baer retires due to concussions. 

2 hours ago, Lui's Knob said:

2019-2020 Roster

____ - Stecher

Hutton - ______

____ - Hughes*

Markstrom

Demko

Draft

Picking #7 - Bowen Byram

UFA Targets

Defense

- Ben Chiarot

Forwards

- Michael Raffl

Trades

Panarin  Patterson Brock

Goldobin Horvat Leivo

Roussel Beagle Ferland

Motte Gaudette Virtanan

Extras: Spooner Eriksson

Karlsson Edler

Tryamkin Hughs

Stecher Juolevi

Extras: Sauntner Chatfeild

Marky

Demko

Signing Panarin first allows us to entice Tryamkin back along with Goldobins presence for now

With karlsson seeing we sign Panarin he signs

Not sure if this works as far as the cap goes but I think we can squeeze it for a few years with Hughs on entry level

Get rid of Sven, Sutter, Tanev, Granlund, Pearson, Schaller, Biega & Schenn

Vancouver drafts D Bowen Byram

Ok boys be nice......:frantic: fire away

IMO if Pearson finds his scoring touch and Leivo starts to heat up, the Canucks might not need to go out and chase a top UFA fwd.   I 'm hoping those two with Horvat  become something!

Give some of the younger guys more opportunity.   If that means making room for them so be it.  This is a team that needs to play fast and with pace.

I think Roussel is going to mentor/push Virtanen 

i look at what we have and what we need;

energy guy/pettersson/boeser

roussel/horvat/goal scorer

2 way winger/gaudette/virtanen

defensive winger/beagle/motte

edler/fleet 2way rd

hughes/tanev.eventually woo

hutton/stecher

juolevi

markstrom/demko

we may have some of these players in the organization but maybe not.

Archived