The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Predictions for Draft & July 1 UFA

42 minutes ago, The Beagle had landed said:

With our luck it will be the third overall.  With Kakko and Hughes taken, who would you select next?

Good question. Would Benning take Byram 3rd OA? Lots of good players to choose from in the Top 10, tough to pass on big, skilled forwards for a Dman.  

You know, after giving it a minute or two of thought, there are always lots of big, skilled forwards available, but not often a Dman comes around that impresses like Byram has. I think Benning has to go for it if Byram is there. A Top pairing Dman who can score is a very valuable commodity in the NHL. Can't pass that up. Get the big, skilled forward by way of FA or trade. 

1 hour ago, The Beagle had landed said:

With our luck it will be the third overall.  With Kakko and Hughes taken, who would you select next?

Byram.

In truth I think D should have been JB+ TL's first priority in year one of their drafting. Most folk say D men take longer to develop thus I was always a bit surprised it took so long to draft a d man in the first round.

25 minutes ago, gurn said:

Byram.

In truth I think D should have been JB+ TL's first priority in year one of their drafting. Most folk say D men take longer to develop thus I was always a bit surprised it took so long to draft a d man in the first round.

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. In 2014 Benning drafted Jake at #6, but the other D choices were Haydn Fleury, Julius Honka or Travis Sanheim.  Sanheim would've been a nice pick, but who knew? He was drafted at #17 and the Canucks had the #6.

The following year, 2015, Benning drafted Boeser at #23. Okay, home run.

In 2016 they drafted Juolevi. Still waiting....

Benning drafted some decent Ds in 2017, but those guys were taken in Rounds 4-7 (Rathbone, Gunnarsson, Brassard)

Finally, in 2018, Benning hit another home run and drafted Q. Hughes. He also added Woo and Utunen.

and here we are

Hopefully he nabs Byram, unless the Canucks get in the Top 2.

I know Hughes is ranked as the #1, has been all year, but I'm not convinced he'll turn out to be the best player from this draft. Just have that feeling that he'll become a real good player in the league, just not "blow your socks off good" in the NHL. Although, he seems to be impressing a lot in his current league. I think Kakko could turn out to be the best player, with Dach and Cozens both having great success. Kakko is the complete package: size, speed, shot, vision, puck protection, etc. He's got 4 inches and 25 pounds on Hughes. Not sure how successful Hughes will be, a Top Line C under 6 feet and 170 in the NHL? Not to mention the pressure that'll be put on him as the #1 Draft Pick. Quin Hughes is somewhat different being a "rover". He doesn't need to crash the net, or battle in the o-zone corners. His skating will create space for him. Jack Hughes, he'll have to keep his head on a swivel. He'll also learn, like Pettersson is learning, that he'll have less and less time and space to do things he's used to doing in a lesser league. Jack Hughes obviously has a ton of skill and speed, I'm just not convinced he'll be able to translate that to the NHL as successfully. (now watch us get him lol)

Prediction? Total confusion.

Just a guess but anything that confuses everyone with regards to a rebuild. I guess Benning will be trying to sign "fillers" replacements for the failed draft picks, which will confuse fans, signing 27 to 30 year olds because he will not do an offer sheet for a RFA and he will not trade any previous drafted players for RFA's

He signs Edler to a 5 year 7 million contract with a NMC that has a MNTC included in the contract, has to be protected for the Seattle expansion.:shock::picard::goat:

Sign Boeser to a 8 year 12 mil with NMC, 28 mil signing bonus first year and 20 mil the second year, the third year (CBA) a 28 mil signing bonus.:shock:

Signs Chara to a 4 year 8 mil with NMC.:sadno:

:picard:

That ought to do it, keep the team screwed up for another 6 years. He would probably be offered a job with the NHL for keeping a playoff spot open for those US teams.:lol:

Really who knows, I doubt Benning does but I am sure of confusion. He does nothing at the draft except draft another dman even if he has the #2 spot and signs old vets.

I think everything will depend on draft position. If we get a top 5 pick, we are going to get a huge piece for us. 

1. Hughes 

2. Kakko

3. Byram 

4. Boldy

5. Turcotte 

I think at least the top 4 could be in the nhl as soon as next year. 

Main initiatives this offseason, Should be 1. Fix this horrendous Defense. 2. Find a scoring winger 3. Get rid of Eriksson and Sutter contracts. 4. Keep getting faster. 

If you get Hughes, Kakko or Boldy, you accomplish numero uno. If you get Byram this opens you up to a lot of trade possibilities taking from depth D and acquiring a right d. 

Potentially Edler

Hughes - Woo

Byram - Tryamkin?

Juolevi - Stecher 

Hutton - Tanev

Brisebois Schenn

Sautner Chatfield

Rathbone Brassard?

But if we get Hughes, Kakko or Boldy, that immediately fixes our wing position. 

So if we get a skilled forward maybe we get a guy like Ferland to play with either Bo or Petey and then address our D. Don't think I would throw massive money at Karlsson. Maybe look through the trade market. Parayko? Trouba? I know it's going to cost a lot, but we need to address this now. Not 3 years from now, but now. I no longer want to be a lottery team, we have built for 6 years, its time to be aggressive. 

But if we get Byram, maybe we throw big money at Panarin. No higher than 9- 9.5 over 6 years. That stone contract that has been rumored will come back to bite Vegas in the ass. 8 years is too long of a contract for a UFA. Then use our D depth to acquire Right D. 

On topic above ive heard cozens is legit. Prob a clear 3rd OA.

size/speed/hands centre/winger

not quite the same level as the first two but is likely gonna stick on #3

on Byram I’d pick him in the 4-8 range because I think anyone in that range is pretty interchangeable.

boldy/soderstrom/Byram/krebs/poldkolzen

For UFA, I’m a little wary of the defensive market. Karlsson seems to have some hard miles and let’s be honest on the Canucks he’d probably become the next salo lol.

gardiner/Myers are probably gonna be too much for the payoff.

Resign edler for 2-3 years and let’s see what we got in Juolevi Hughes and woo (unlikely) next year... maybe tryamkin if he can come in.

orrr find a young controllable dman that could be offered for a virtanen package

We will draft 6th to 9th we have no luck. Hopefully we take Byram at 6th,  We than trade Pearson and Hutton, 2020 second pick for Kreider . Sign the following Edler, , Stralman, , Myers to 5 year 5.5 mil contracts front loaded . Goldobin and  Levio, to 3 year 2.5 mil contracts. Trade Tanev, Sutter and  at the next TDL. 

Archived