The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trading Card Thread

Roberts

I wonder if there is a good place to sell your hockey cards? My dad has lots of old ones from the 70's, I have a bunch also. They need to be displayed, keeping them in sleeves in a binder is just a shame.

I guess I should be still getting cards to try get some rookie cards of the new elite in the NHL. But never think about it I guess. Does Mcdonalds still do a hockey card thing? I got a supposed autographed Gretzky puck from McDonalds as a prize back in the day

10 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Those darn Oilers (rookie cards)

L-R: Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Jari Kurri, Paul Coffey, Glenn Anderson, Kevin Lowe, Dave Semenko, Grant Fuhr and Andy Moog.

image.thumb.png.8a7133f2b45fac49ddbcb5a276484bcd.png

you have some great cards! have you considered getting that Gretzky card graded? it might help protect it's condition, as well as increase it's value

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I will say the gum in these card packs taste like cats for some reason (and don’t ask me how I know what a cat tastes like...)

ask alf... i have one card from way back. wish it was a rookie card but actually near the end of his career. my son gave me a stan musial baseball card. he knew he was my favourite ball player. i wish i had an alex delvecchio card. my favourite growing up. at my age, it doesn’t matter anymore. 

Edited by smithers joe
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

ask alf... i have one card from way back. wish it was a rookie card but actually near the end of his career. my son gave me a stan musial baseball card. he knew he was my favourite ball player. i wish i had an alex delvecchio card. my favourite growing up. at my age, it doesn’t matter anymore. 

I had some pretty cool old hockey cards from the 60s given to me from my uncle.  Got a bunch of 60s Marvel comics as well from him.  Sadly, they all went the way of the local landfill during one of my mom’s annual spring cleanings.:(

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I had some pretty cool old hockey cards from the 60s given to me from my uncle.  Got a bunch of 60s Marvel comics as well from him.  Sadly, they all went the way of the local landfill during one of my mom’s annual spring cleanings.:(

i use to have a large collection of old classic comic books. all the old classics in comic book form. my son devoured those books until they were far from good condition. i ended up giving them to an english teacher at the high school. i had a large book collection, saved them all my life, when i sold my house i left them with the new owners. they ended up getting ris of them all. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 2:10 PM, Canuckster86 said:

I wonder if there is a good place to sell your hockey cards? My dad has lots of old ones from the 70's, I have a bunch also. They need to be displayed, keeping them in sleeves in a binder is just a shame.

I guess I should be still getting cards to try get some rookie cards of the new elite in the NHL. But never think about it I guess. Does Mcdonalds still do a hockey card thing? I got a supposed autographed Gretzky puck from McDonalds as a prize back in the day

I don't know if McDonalds does hockey cards anymore, but I know Tim Hortons has been selling hockey cards for a few years now. I don't have experience selling cards, however, if you want to sell your cards I would suggest looking for a local card shop to sell them to, or if that won't work out maybe look into selling them on eBay.

• Like 1

I used to collect Todd Bertuzzi cards. Probably had about 30 or 40 different ones of him, but none particularly valuable I suspect. Also had a good number of Naslund and B-Mo cards as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

The cards I destroyed as a kid... I recognize many of the cards in the posted pictures. I used to make stuff out of them or see how I could fold them, etc. I could have been rich.

In the tire spokes on your bike! 

13 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

The cards I destroyed as a kid... I recognize many of the cards in the posted pictures. I used to make stuff out of them or see how I could fold them, etc. I could have been rich.

Doubt it. I have a ton of cards from the 90s and most of them aren't worth more than a couple bucks. This is including guys like Lemieux and etc. Condition aside which in most cases I would consider "good", there were too many that were produced (1 of 500, for example)

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Doubt it. I have a ton of cards from the 90s and most of them aren't worth more than a couple bucks. This is including guys like Lemieux and etc. Condition aside which in most cases I would consider "good", there were too many that were produced (1 of 500, for example)

I’m 45.

My cards were late 70’s until I was was about 16, which was 1990.

The cards my generation had were the eventual HHOF rookie cards, mainly.

When you look at the top 50 of all-time stats, it’s predominantly that group of players. I wonder if that coincides with card value? 

We mainly used them as throwing cards lol

On 3/2/2019 at 9:26 PM, Roberts said:

you have some great cards! have you considered getting that Gretzky card graded? it might help protect it's condition, as well as increase it's value

I agree, that Gretzky RC looks fantastic.  If it grades 9.0 or higher, it'd be worth a few grand easily.  The borders are really well centred on that card!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Yeah, cards from the 90s were worth the least.  I'd say early to mid 2000s is where card values began to climb due to scarcity.  RCs all began being printed in limited numbers.  Crosby RCs can fetch anywhere in the hundreds to the thousands of dollars.

Edited by HKSR

On 3/2/2019 at 2:10 PM, Canuckster86 said:

Subway's doing a Canucks hockey card promo that looks pretty good. 

https://www.cardboardconnection.com/2018-19-upper-deck-subway-vancouver-canucks-hockey-cards

• Thanks 1

I just received my Connor McDavid Young Guns rookie card back from Beckett! It scored an total of 9.5 which is fantastic! Surface got a 10! Beckett told me 10's on surfaces are very rare to happen!

20190305_155003.thumb.jpg.4562545e0e98de3d58f0bea33a6307aa.jpg

Edited by Roberts
  • Like 1

There was a small piece of grass or fiber of some sort stuck inside the case and it was touching the card a little bit as well, so Beckett told me they would let me send it back in (for free) and they would fix it, re-case it, and even let me send a second card in with it to be graded for free as well, so I sent in my Mikko Rantanen UD Exlusives Young Guns 002/100 card I showed in my original post to be graded.

I have thousands of cards. Mostly hockey, baseball, basketball, but a few random boxing, football and soccer cards.

My Uncle is a collector, he gave me a stack of cards when was little and I used them like any kid would - to throw and use as spoke stokes... Except for the Kurri and Coffey rookie cards I sold as a teen. Dumb.

In 85 or 86 I actually started "collecting", not wrecking. I still have this awesome Opeechee NHL sticker book, complete, from 86. The paper is beat up now, but the stickers are pretty cool to look at with my son.

Does anyone remember the mini cards? I've got a Luc Robatille rookie (mini)!

The thousands of cards are all from 86-92. Bunch of complete sets and lots of great rookie cards from the major sports of that era.

Anyways, my Uncle was downsizing a couple years back and gave my son a huge chunk of his collection, including (his seconds, less mint) complete '79, '80 and '81Opeechee hockey sets and a moving box full of random, awesome cards through the ages... Amazing stuff in there.

I should take some pics one day. 

Edited by luckylager
  • Like 1