The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trading Card Thread

Roberts

10 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I have thousands of cards. Hockey, baseball, basketball mostly, and a few random boxing, football and soccer cards.

My Uncle is a collector, he gave me a stack of cards when was little and I used them like any kid would - to throw and use as spoke stokes... Except for the Kurri and Coffey rookie cards I sold as a teen. Dumb.

In 85 or 86 I actually started "collecting", not wrecking. I still have this awesome Opeechee NHL sticker book, complete, from 86. The paper is beat up now, but the stickers are pretty cool to look at with my son.

Does anyone remember the mini cards? I've got a Luc Robatille rookie (mini)!

The thousands of cards are all from 86-92. Bunch of complete sets and lots of great rookie cards from the major sports of that era.

Anyways, my Uncle was downsizing a couple years back and gave my son a huge chunk of his collection, including (his seconds, less mint) complete '79, '80 and '81Opeechee hockey sets and a moving box full of random, awesome cards through the ages... Amazing stiff in there.

I should take some pics one day. 

great story. it's surprising how many people used to use sports cards as throwing cards against walls, it's probably the most common (and unfortunate) old sports card story out there.

Just now, Roberts said:

great story. it's surprising how many people used to use sports cards as throwing cards against walls, it's probably the most common (and unfortunate) old sports card story out there.

Turning my bmx into a motorbike was pretty rad at the time, and it only took a few hockey cards...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, otherwise said:

I have a jaromir jarger rookie card, I have always wondered what it would be worth. I was never really into collecting any kind of cards, I got them in my stocking at christmas when I was a kid.

post a picture here and someone might be able to help you out finding the price.

4 minutes ago, Roberts said:

post a picture here and someone might be able to help you out finding the price.

it's at my parents' place. I'll take a pic next time I'm there. All I can remember about it is you could really see the full length of his mullet in one of the pics:lol:

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

People who don't get it ... don't.

I will always remember my son's excitement at getting a pack of cards...quickly ripping in to it to see who he got.  Then stashing them away and checking a Beckett Guide to see it's value (even though he'd never part with them).  Was just fun.

I have his cards to this day and it's fun to sit on the floor, looking through them and remembering the good times we had.  I kept them along with his other memorabilia so one day they can be part of his man cave.  (Living in an 800 sq ft apartment isn't quite lending itself to that yet). 

My brother was really into it back then and there were trading shows and events (where we met TL for the first time).   Memories are stored within those cards.

There are many things we "waste money" on.  People go to Starbucks, but I make coffee at home because it's much cheaper.  People buy video games and waste money (and time) on them.  It's about what we enjoy so, obviously, some will some won't see card collecting as worthwhile.  It's a matter of preference, that's all.  For me...my Dad passed on sports stuff he'd kept and it went to my son...so it's just part of collecting family treasures more than anything.

• Upvote 3

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

I will always remember my son's excitement at getting a pack of cards...quickly ripping in to it to see who he got.  Then stashing them away and checking a Beckett Guide to see it's value.

I have his cards to this day and it's fun to sit on the floor, looking through them and remembering the good times we had.

My brother was really into it back then and there were trading shows and events (where we met TL for the first time).   Memories are stored within those cards.

There are many things we "waste money" on.  People go to Starbucks, but I make coffee at home because it's much cheaper.  People buy video games and waste money (and time) on them. 

It's about what we enjoy so, obviously, some will some won't see card collecting as worthwhile.  It's a matter of preference.

More excitement when you were 8 years old and just flicking hockey cards on a wall. And being happy with Canuck hockey cards. 

• 5 months later...
On 4/19/2019 at 12:25 PM, debluvscanucks said:

I will always remember my son's excitement at getting a pack of cards...quickly ripping in to it to see who he got.  Then stashing them away and checking a Beckett Guide to see it's value (even though he'd never part with them).  Was just fun.

I have his cards to this day and it's fun to sit on the floor, looking through them and remembering the good times we had.  I kept them along with his other memorabilia so one day they can be part of his man cave.  (Living in an 800 sq ft apartment isn't quite lending itself to that yet). 

There are many things we "waste money" on.  People go to Starbucks, but I make coffee at home because it's much cheaper.  People buy video games and waste money (and time) on them.  It's about what we enjoy so, obviously, some will some won't see card collecting as worthwhile.  It's a matter of preference, that's all.  For me...my Dad passed on sports stuff he'd kept and it went to my son...so it's just part of collecting family treasures more than anything.

I used to do that too!  My brother and I would collect cards, and lay them all out on the ground, I would put mine in rows, and we would get out the Beckett guide and look up the value. I would even make card houses out of them, and see how big I could make the house before toppling over.

• Upvote 1