Sign in to follow this  
Roberts

Trading Card Thread

Collected a lot of hockey cards 70s - early 90s, mainly o-pee-chee, when I was growing up... I remember loving getting goalie cards just to see the diff masks, and of course the little stick of gum. They were worth quite a bit. Then the market got flooded with crap and now most (not all) are worth nothing...

C’est la vie. 

anyone else get Tim Hortons hockey cards? I've gotten them the last two years, they are a fun little bonus when I get Tim Hortons.

• Upvote 1

On 11/9/2019 at 11:07 PM, Roberts said:

anyone else get Tim Hortons hockey cards? I've gotten them the last two years, they are a fun little bonus when I get Tim Hortons.

No.

What do they cost? 

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

No.

What do they cost? 

they just stopped selling them for this year unfortunately, but they are usually $2 each.

• Hydration 1

For anyone who is interested in buying and going to good card shows and maybe even looking to get autographs from some ex NHL players(it cost money :P), check out Bossa Productions.

Not this weekend but the following weekend Nov. 22-24 in Langley at the Langley Event Centre where the Giants play, they're having their 2nd big card show, I went last year and it was good, so expecting the same this year again. Ray Bourque will be there signing, Doug Gilmour, Grant Fuhr and a couple others, obviously Canucks are on the road so won't be any current Canucks there. But if you're interested in autographs go to Bossa Productions website and read up, they're only signing on certain days and have the prices set for them.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

So went to the Card Show in Langley yesterday, compared to the one last year, this one was busier and more tables everywhere for sellers, so it was better this year. Saw Doug Gilmour signing autographs, but didn't get one.

Some cool stuff to see from sellers, some old history of just sports collectibles in general, old Canucks stuff, most of the sellers now a days are more into selling single cards, my brother did pick up an Elias Pettersson(RC) Young Gun graded 10 and he talked the guy down to $150, Quinn Hughes(RC) Young Gun was going for $40-50 ungraded. I'm more old school and like the boxes and opening packs to find cards. Most of the box sellers were sectioned in one area near the upper deck section, a company named Zephyr Epic who I'm new to hearing about, they weren't at the Langley Card Show last year, but they have some decent prices, definitely a company I'll keep an eye out for in the future. Anyways overall decent and good card show.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

So went to the Card Show in Langley yesterday, compared to the one last year, this one was busier and more tables everywhere for sellers, so it was better this year. Saw Doug Gilmour signing autographs, but didn't get one.

Some cool stuff to see from sellers, some old history of just sports collectibles in general, old Canucks stuff, most of the sellers now a days are more into selling single cards, my brother did pick up an Elias Pettersson(RC) Young Gun graded 10 and he talked the guy down to $150, Quinn Hughes(RC) Young Gun was going for $40-50 ungraded. I'm more old school and like the boxes and opening packs to find cards. Most of the box sellers were sectioned in one area near the upper deck section, a company named Zephyr Epic who I'm new to hearing about, they weren't at the Langley Card Show last year, but they have some decent prices, definitely a company I'll keep an eye out for in the future. Anyways overall decent and good card show.

That's a huge steal on the Pettersson 10 YG. 

Zephyr Epic has been around for a couple years. They have their main location in Surrey. I have bought a few things from them, and recommend them. Definitely the best prices in all of Vancouver. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, taxi said:

That's a huge steal on the Pettersson 10 YG. 

Zephyr Epic has been around for a couple years. They have their main location in Surrey. I have bought a few things from them, and recommend them. Definitely the best prices in all of Vancouver. 

Yeah I was shocked the card he bought was graded 10 he definitely got a steal.

Actually my Father found out about Zephyr a few months ago while searching the web and those annoying ads they throw in there in your searches actually paid off for once lol, but was cool seeing them at the card show. They definitely seem to have the best prices, I used to check that one in Langley Pastime Sports and there in other places as well, but this Zephyr is better then them that's for sure.

19 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yeah I was shocked the card he bought was graded 10 he definitely got a steal.

Actually my Father found out about Zephyr a few months ago while searching the web and those annoying ads they throw in there in your searches actually paid off for once lol, but was cool seeing them at the card show. They definitely seem to have the best prices, I used to check that one in Langley Pastime Sports and there in other places as well, but this Zephyr is better then them that's for sure.

Vancouver used to have a place called ot sports, which was great for prices. Zephyr is definitely the best now. Pasttime does occasionally have some good sales though. 

I buy a lot of my stuff online. A lot I get shipped from the usa to a box at the border.

• Hydration 1

7 hours ago, taxi said:

Vancouver used to have a place called ot sports, which was great for prices. Zephyr is definitely the best now. Pasttime does occasionally have some good sales though. 

I buy a lot of my stuff online. A lot I get shipped from the usa to a box at the border.

I never have done the online buying, I remember back in the day there was a place called Rookies near Metrotown under the Station Square Cinemas, used to buy boxes from them all the time especially on boxing day. I normally just go to the monthly card shows at Bonsor and buy a box or 2 there, but might be checking out this Zephyr more.

15 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I never have done the online buying, I remember back in the day there was a place called Rookies near Metrotown under the Station Square Cinemas, used to buy boxes from them all the time especially on boxing day. I normally just go to the monthly card shows at Bonsor and buy a box or 2 there, but might be checking out this Zephyr more.

UD really screws Canadians with the prices, which are far above exchange. UD also makes all retailers go through wholesalers in Canada, who jack up the prices. Online ordering from the usa can save a lot.

Edit: I'm also guessing the Pettersson was the PSA 10. That makes more sense. 

Edited by taxi

23 hours ago, taxi said:

We had Collector's Den in Richmond.....was great.  Did a lot of my Christmas shopping there.  Sadly, getting harder to find these treasure shops.  There was also one at Garden City and Francis (by Danny's)...it wasn't there too long, but a fun place to check in at.

Is hockey card collecting still a popular thing? Are buying cards in bulk worth it?

I have my collection still from when I was a kid my dad helped me with. I would like to continue the collection but dunno how to proceed necessarily. Older cards? Newer cards? Buy bulk? What's a good deal?

My current collection now is all 90s. I have nothing beyond 2000. So I have some Yzerman's, Sakic's, all of the 90s stars. Everything is sleeved. I dunno if these things are worth anything. Most are in "good" condition. No bent tips or creases or scratches across the surface. Even if they aren't I still like to collect and catalog them; reminds me of those good ol' young days.

Edited by Tortorella's Rant

15 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Is hockey card collecting still a popular thing? Are buying cards in bulk worth it?

I have my collection still from when I was a kid my dad helped me with. I would like to continue the collection but dunno how to proceed necessarily. Older cards? Newer cards? Buy bulk? What's a good deal?

My current collection now is all 90s. I have nothing beyond 2000. So I have some Yzerman's, Sakic's, all of the 90s stars. Everything is sleeved. I dunno if these things are worth anything. Most are in "good" condition. No bent tips or creases or scratches across the surface. Even if they aren't I still like to collect and catalog them; reminds me of those good ol' young days.

It is very much a thing. Not like the 90s though. 90s cards are worthless. Any big vintage cards in good condition will have value. For new cards check out Ebay for values. Buying unopened packs/boxes in bulk is a great way to lose money. The best bet, if you are going for profit, is to buy singles of players you think will go up in value. 

2 minutes ago, taxi said:

It is very much a thing. Not like the 90s though. 90s cards are worthless. Any big vintage cards in good condition will have value. For new cards check out Ebay for values. Buying unopened packs/boxes in bulk is a great way to lose money. The best bet, if you are going for profit, is to buy singles of players you think will go up in value. 

I know a lot of those are mass produced but some aren't nearly as much. Are the cards today much the same - worthless?

7 hours ago, taxi said:

UD really screws Canadians with the prices, which are far above exchange. UD also makes all retailers go through wholesalers in Canada, who jack up the prices. Online ordering from the usa can save a lot.

Edit: I'm also guessing the Pettersson was the PSA 10. That makes more sense. 

Personally I like buying Baseball over Hockey, the amount of RC you can get in Baseball is much higher, and much better chances of grabbing a good player over a no body in hockey. I've compared prices from boxes I've bought from Bonsor to online prices and tbh not much difference, sometimes they're the same price so it doesn't bother me. Even those blaster boxes they sell at Walmart, the Bonsor show sometimes they will sell them $10 cheaper, so I don't mind it. 

Regarding the Pettersson nope it wasn't PSA, it was SGC.

5 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I know a lot of those are mass produced but some aren't nearly as much. Are the cards today much the same - worthless?

They definitely over mass produced cards in the 90's, so unfortunately most of them are worthless at the moment, but not all, obviously the greats of the game have some value to their cards a bit, obviously rookie cards of a decent player would hold a bit of value as well. But who really knows down the road, just look at cards from the 50's, 60's, no one ever thought they would have value 60 years later, yet they do, so you never know...

Regarding today, a bit of yes and a bit of no. There is a lot more insert type cards in boxes now then in the 90's, like Autographs or Jersey Cards, hence buying a box now is much more expensive then in the 90's, but even the insert card you get can be a hit or miss for the player you get for value. Still a lot of useless cards as well to complete sets, but also other types of cards that hold a bit of value, especially if that player is a hot topic at the moment, but who knows if that value will hold up down the road, and then of course the rookie cards have value, but also a hit or miss on who you can get in a box sometimes.

For instance Upper Deck hockey I bought a box hoping to get a rookie card Pettersson never got one. I bought a Topps Update Baseball box trying to get a Vladimir Guerrero Jr. rookie card and pulled out 3 different versions for his rookie card, and the Baseball box was like $15 cheaper. 

On 11/27/2019 at 9:00 AM, Tortorella's Rant said:

Go on eBay. There are relatively new cards selling for $40k or more.

There are very few cards from the 90s that are worth anything though. For example upper Deck and pro set had some very very hard to pull inserts, like the Stanley cup hologram or the hockey heroes autographs that are worth a lot. The regular run of most cards are worthless though. Some very high graded opc premiere or upper Deck rookies do have some value. 

Just finished going through a lot of my cards.  Like many here, a lot worthless 90s cards.  Pulled a bunch aside that either have some value (sentimental or decent $$$, mainly Canucks, Blue Jays and significant players from the era) to save for my kids (they're 5 and 8).

However, I did find a Jonathan Toews Upper Deck Young Guns that appears to have value.  Just looking for advice of what to do with it.  It seems to go on eBay at the moment for ~$150.

Just wondering if that's probably peak value?  Will it decrease after he retires?  If it's around peak value I was think of selling (or trading) it for some cards of my boys favourite players (perhaps a Bo Bichette and a Quinn Hughes or something).

Any advice is appreciated.

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 8:34 PM, Wilbur said:

Just finished going through a lot of my cards.  Like many here, a lot worthless 90s cards.  Pulled a bunch aside that either have some value (sentimental or decent $$$, mainly Canucks, Blue Jays and significant players from the era) to save for my kids (they're 5 and 8).

However, I did find a Jonathan Toews Upper Deck Young Guns that appears to have value.  Just looking for advice of what to do with it.  It seems to go on eBay at the moment for ~$150.

Just wondering if that's probably peak value?  Will it decrease after he retires?  If it's around peak value I was think of selling (or trading) it for some cards of my boys favourite players (perhaps a Bo Bichette and a Quinn Hughes or something).

Any advice is appreciated.

I don't know a whole lot about values, but if you want to preserve it then I recommend getting it graded by Beckett. I sent some of my cards to be graded, their values increased a lot by doing that.

• Thanks 1