The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trading Card Thread

Roberts

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 9:30 PM, Wilbur said:

Got another package in the mail of 25 cards today.  I don't think I've ever been so excited to see Markus Granlund as this now completes Page 12, or as I call it, (with apologies to Boldirev and Grisdale) the Ultimate Canuck page of Frustration, Woe, and Doom.  How 7 of these guys and their dark roles in Canuck history ended up on 1 page is kinda funny.  You got

• the anger from the Granlund/Shinkaruk trade
  • the angst from Delorme's tenure as head scout
  • why couldn't the Canucks resign Larionov?
  • playoff failures of Dan Cloutier
  • MESSIER :sick:
  • possibly the worst trade in Canuck history
  • Sbisa's pizzas
  Hide contents

1833647864_page12.thumb.jpg.a3c1edaba6b130dd802e4445c6d4a6a5.jpg

Page 13 features The Flow...for now (Boeser most definitely cannot get traded part way through next season or else he'll be on the Ultimate Canuck Page of Doom and the trade will certainly backfire).

Hide contents

910694687_page13.thumb.jpg.2c301725040e9cd569bb2e93142dda33.jpg

Page 15 starts with a familiar, if not younger, face and Garry "You dropped your _______" Valk.

Hide contents

670135967_Page15.thumb.jpg.bb2f8725a5f48ad64811383a5edc2c5d.jpg

awesome stuff! looks like that binder is getting more and more valuable

• Thanks 1

Got a card for Baron, Hodgson, Mojzis, York, Marois, and Hedberg yesterday.  This finally completed my page 5 -428 to 374 games played (Baron doesn''t have many Canuck cards).  I know the binder is for Canuck players that have played a game in a Canuck jersey and a card in a Canuck jersey but I just had to have that Bure card in there.

Spoiler

1115980961_Page5.thumb.jpg.c4a81baa029b12c27234b360015548ad.jpg

Page 17 (152 to 146 games played).  Did not realize Dale Weise played that many games as a Canuck *shrug*

Spoiler

849566370_Page17.thumb.jpg.109a89945c23f442a4803e53d000f239.jpg

Page 18 (144 to 140 games played).  Had to get a few of those Shell cards as for many (like David Bruce) that's their only card in a Canuck jersey (I guess OPC wouldn't go that far down the depth chart back then).

Spoiler

634258296_Page18.thumb.jpg.3f5af16eb5e97f40bef9738b1159d829.jpg

72 more cards go!

• Upvote 1

I started collecting cards in the early 90’s. Maybe 1992-ish. 

I’ve mainly collected Canucks cards so I got around maybe 2000 Canucks hockey cards and maybe 1000 more or less worthless cards from other teams. I still have all of them and I haven’t really sold any of them ever. Some I might have swapped for something Canucks I guess. I have no idea of that is much or not compared to the next guy, but it was a lot compared to my friends at least.

My main focus was on Mogilny and even if the cards don’t carry actual value, they’re pretty valuable to me personally (all my Canucks cards). I might have gotten to about 400 cards on Mogilny until I developed a steady and increasing interest towards girls and kinda put the cards behind me. :lol:

I still buy some cards every now and then and add them to my collection. Just for fun I guess, and I get to relive brief momens of joy similar to those we had as kids when we aranged our newly aquired cards with my best friend on his livingroom floor before the hockey game started on TV.

On weekends we used to play hockey in the backyard mimicing some all-star shooting competition in the morning. Then we went to the hockey card trading place or what you might call it and bought or traded for new cards. After that we went to the local rink to play hockey again and when it got too dark to play, we went home to areange our cards and watch what ever game was on.

I can say I really miss that feeling but I am happy to have those memories still and I often relive them when I dig out my cards to have a look at them.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Spoosh said:

I started collecting cards in the early 90’s. Maybe 1992-ish. 

I’ve mainly collected Canucks cards so I got around maybe 2000 Canucks hockey cards and maybe 1000 more or less worthless cards from other teams. I still have all of them and I haven’t really sold any of them ever. Some I might have swapped for something Canucks I guess. I have no idea of that is much or not compared to the next guy, but it was a lot compared to my friends at least.

My main focus was on Mogilny and even if the cards don’t carry actual value, they’re pretty valuable to me personally (all my Canucks cards). I might have gotten to about 400 cards on Mogilny until I developed a steady and increasing interest towards girls and kinda put the cards behind me. :lol:

I still buy some cards every now and then and add them to my collection. Just for fun I guess, and I get to relive brief momens of joy similar to those we had as kids when we aranged our newly aquired cards with my best friend on his livingroom floor before the hockey game started on TV.

On weekends we used to play hockey in the backyard mimicing some all-star shooting competition in the morning. Then we went to the hockey card trading place or what you might call it and bought or traded for new cards. After that we went to the local rink to play hockey again and when it got too dark to play, we went home to areange our cards and watch what ever game was on.

I can say I really miss that feeling but I am happy to have those memories still and I often relive them when I dig out my cards to have a look at them.

Nice!

How many different Canuck players do you think you have?  Heh, sounds like you could do a similar project to me.  I'm trying to get for every Canuck that has played a regular season game in a Canuck jersey a card in a Canuck jersey.  It has been so much fun researching the cards and putting the binder together.  It really is a neat tome of Canuck history.

My wife is fine with it too because it means there aren't a lot of random cards everywhere.  Plus, most of the cards I've been getting through Sportlots.com only cost 18 cents USD each and if I group an order on 1 seller it cost ten to fifteen dollars or so Canadian for 25 cards after shipping.

Heh, that's funny that you have about 400 Mogilny cards.  After going through my cards from my childhood I had just the 1.

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Nice!

How many different Canuck players do you think you have?  Heh, sounds like you could do a similar project to me.  I'm trying to get for every Canuck that has played a regular season game in a Canuck jersey a card in a Canuck jersey.  It has been so much fun researching the cards and putting the binder together.  It really is a neat tome of Canuck history.

My wife is fine with it too because it means there aren't a lot of random cards everywhere.  Plus, most of the cards I've been getting through Sportlots.com only cost 18 cents USD each and if I group an order on 1 seller it cost ten to fifteen dollars or so Canadian for 25 cards after shipping.

Heh, that's funny that you have about 400 Mogilny cards.  After going through my cards from my childhood I had just the 1.

Hard to say. I guess most of the players on roster during the 90's and early 2000's. I don't have that much 80's cards, maybe 100-150 or so, so definitely not one of each player. I've never ordered cards from abroad but I guess I could take a look at that at some point.

Mogilny has always been my #1 so I just had to get every different card I could get my hands on. I can tell you that the market in Finland is like a drop in the ocean compared to Canada, so I'm sure there are a lot of cards that I'm still missing :)

10 hours ago, NickTheGreek said:

Awesome card!

How much does it cost to get the Beckett grading and how does it work? You mail them the card and how do you put in payment? Sorry for all the questions!

It used to be a lot cheaper. They had deals where you get could get 10 cards graded for under $10/each. Now its closer to $25-30 USD/card. You have to fill out an order before sending the cards in. It's on their website. 

I actually sent my last order to PSA, because Beckett is too expensive now.

I really need to go through all of these and the others not in the pic and have a look at what I got. 
A lot of 90’s stuff but I think there are some rare ones in here somewhere. 

I took a look at Beckett’s but dayym that sounds expensive. I dont want to sell anything but grading some cards would be fun.

286CB5B1-FA9B-44A6-9A93-F3FCC7A2F32D.jpeg

• Like 3

On 10/20/2020 at 9:52 PM, Roberts said:

woah pristine! you must have kept perfect care of that one!

Take perfect care of all my cards. In order to get Pristine it has to come that way out of the pack, which is very rare. The vast majority of cards will have small flaws straight out of the factory, and then over time the cards get small flaws as the boxes get handled from supplier to customer. Obviously, not every card gets graded, but there's only been 3 pristine black label cards in the entire 2009/10 series 1 set so far.

Edited by taxi
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, taxi said:

Take perfect care of all my cards. In order to get Pristine it has to come that way out of the pack, which is very rare. The vast majority of cards will have small flaws straight out of the factory, and then over time the cards get small flaws as the boxes get handled from supplier to customer. Obviously, not every card gets graded, but there's only been 3 pristine cards in the entire 2009/10 series 1 set so far.

wow, well congrats! I had a connor McDavid card which as soon as I unpacked I VERY carefully put it in a sleeve and kept perfect care of, when I got it graded it was a 9.5. I'm super happy with that grading but it really showed me how rare it is to get a 10. Surface was a 10 which basically proves how careful I was haha

20190416_171640_HDR.thumb.jpg.4c99e83863f5d9c2a048d71680e6f0c5.jpg20190416_181842_HDR.thumb.jpg.fc8e6ce6686f003f342ecb3e35119ba8.jpg

Yeah. 10s are getting more common but still very rare. Anything older than 2010 or so, it's very rare to find perfect 10s. For example, there are no 10 Patrick Kane Young Guns. I have a Kane YG with 3 9.5s and a 10, which is probably one of the highest grades out there. 

Edit: Just looked at the registry. There is one card with 2 10s, a 9.5 and a 9.0. Other than that there are no cards with 2 10s or more. 

Edited by taxi

Hey guys, I collected in the late 80's early 90's, also my uncle gave me a lot of early 80's cards too, some great rookies like Coffey, Kurri, Messier etc. 

Anyways, my son is now collecting hockey cards and all the kids his age, even the ones kn his hockey team, collect Pokemon and Magic and all these other cards so now he has no kne to trade with.

Trading was one of the best things about collecting cars when I was a kid, and he gets to do that with the other cards but still.

Anyways, is there an online trading site or anything like that? 

• 3 weeks later...

Popped by the local card store last weekend and they had found a few more boxes of Canuck singles so I was able to get few cards closer to my goal (57 to go!)

Page 14 (189 to 177 games played) features Gary Smith rocking some very 70s hair.  Never realized how tall he was either (6'4").

Spoiler

1153964628_Page14.thumb.jpg.2484605a0a2fcba3a8aa30f96f2b1ada.jpg

Finally located a Dave Lowry shell card (he never had a OPC card despite being on the team a while) to finish page 16 (165 to 154 games played).   A lot of important players from the 2011 cup run on this page.  And once again, love the layout of Upper Deck the year that I have the Ehrhoff card.

Spoiler

2115530421_Page16.thumb.jpg.7a58753187cc66fe5cee073e7771cefe.jpg

Edited by Wilbur
  • Upvote 1

One thing I've noticed, particularly with the cards from the 80s, is that all the hockey card photographers must have been American.  I have about 400 different Canuck cards and not one has a player wearing the home yellow (skate or flying v).  Not that those jerseys were particularly beautiful, but it would be nice to represent that at least a few times in the binder.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 2:29 PM, Wilbur said:

Popped by the local card store last weekend and they had found a few more boxes of Canuck singles so I was able to get few cards closer to my goal (57 to go!)

Page 14 (189 to 177 games played) features Gary Smith rocking some very 70s hair.  Never realized how tall he was either (6'4").

Hide contents

1153964628_Page14.thumb.jpg.2484605a0a2fcba3a8aa30f96f2b1ada.jpg

Finally located a Dave Lowry shell card (he never had a OPC card despite being on the team a while) to finish page 16 (165 to 154 games played).   A lot of important players from the 2011 cup run on this page.  And once again, love the layout of Upper Deck the year that I have the Ehrhoff card.

Hide contents

2115530421_Page16.thumb.jpg.7a58753187cc66fe5cee073e7771cefe.jpg

how's the progress?

1 hour ago, Roberts said:

how's the progress?

I'm down to needing just 39 more cards, by my count. 

I made an order from comc.com a couple of weeks ago because Mike Keane's only card in a Canuck jersey showed up there (from a Save-On-Foods team set).  I'm excited to get it, although the expected delivery date for it (and the 11 other cards I grouped into the order) is April 6th :blink:

Crossed a couple more names off the list with more research.  Silverwood Dairies back in the early 80s did team sets and it looks like those cards are taller than standard trading cards so they don't make the requirements for the binder (those sets were the only source of Brent Ashton and Kevin Primeau in Canuck jerseys).  Added Olli Juolevi to the list as he has a card in a Canuck jersey now (although I'll wait until I don't have to fork out the money for his Young Guns card).  Heh, is the season going to start in time for Upper Deck series 2 to have Nate Schmidt and Brayden Holtby Canuck cards?

I decided to reorder the binder based on regular season + playoff games (as a nod to acknowledge all meaningful games a player has pulled on the jersey...or as excuse to sort through the cards again :ph34r:).  I'll post some pics after Christmas as I'll be getting about 60 or so at that time (I would know...I got to order my own Christmas stocking stuffers :P)

Of the remaining 39, I get the feeling Andrey Pedan will be the hardest (now that Mike Keane is on its way).  He only has one limited release card in a Canuck jersey.  There are a couple of Canucks in a late 80s Mohawk team set that could be difficult to locate too.

And I'm still a little saddened that I don't have any cards in the Canucks home yellow of the 80s.  Not even sure they exist (well, other than the Silverwood Dairies cards that  have those jersey's but they're too tall to fit into the standard card pages)

• Cheers 2

That mint Gretzky rookie card going for $1.29 million is bringing back bad memories.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2020/12/11/wayne-gretzky-rookie-card-first-hockey-card-to-break-1-million-milestone.html?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=SocialMedia&utm_campaign=SportsHockey&utm_content=waynegretzkycard

I had that card. Not mint but probably VGE to excellent condition. Had a bunch of the big name rookie cards from that era, and lots of other valuable cards.

Stored them at my parents’ house.

The only person who ever came near them was my little cousin. He’d look at my collection when he came over (I was away for college). I had them packed away in a cabinet in the closet of my childhood bedroom. Nobody else came near them. And there were no break-ins at the house.

One year, I came home, checked my collection, and it was like someone had gone through with a Beckett and siphoned off every high value card.

Devastating. :( 

My little cousin was questioned. He denied it. I gave him the opportunity to return the cards, no questions asked, said I wouldn’t even be mad. 

He continued to deny it. 

So, nothing more I could do, without causing a major family rift. 

The one good thing about Covid-19 is I don’t have to see his face this year. Kid’s all grown up, but when I look at him, I just see the little **** who stole thousands of dollars worth of cards from me. :angry:

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

That mint Gretzky rookie card going for $1.29 million is bringing back bad memories.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2020/12/11/wayne-gretzky-rookie-card-first-hockey-card-to-break-1-million-milestone.html?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=SocialMedia&utm_campaign=SportsHockey&utm_content=waynegretzkycard

I had that card. Not mint but probably VGE to excellent condition. Had a bunch of the big name rookie cards from that era, and lots of other valuable cards.

Stored them at my parents’ house.

The only person who ever came near them was my little cousin. He’d look at my collection when he came over (I was away for college). I had them packed away in a cabinet in the closet of my childhood bedroom. Nobody else came near them. And there were no break-ins at the house.

One year, I came home, checked my collection, and it was like someone had gone through with a Beckett and siphoned off every high value card.

Devastating. :( 

My little cousin was questioned. He denied it. I gave him the opportunity to return the cards, no questions asked, said I wouldn’t even be mad. 

He continued to deny it. 

So, nothing more I could do, without causing a major family rift. 

The one good thing about Covid-19 is I don’t have to see his face this year. Kid’s all grown up, but when I look at him, I just see the little **** who stole thousands of dollars worth of cards from me. :angry:

Kick his a** Sid!

• Haha 1