The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tanner Pearson | #70 | LW

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Personally I’d like to see baer slot in beside horvat I have no patience for project anymore I’ve seen to many of them

I still do think Baertschi could be golden on that 2nd unit. No idea why Green is so averse to playing Sven.

15 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I still do think Baertschi could be golden on that 2nd unit. No idea why Green is so averse to playing Sven.

Hopefully after the Canucks game away a game last night against a bad team, Green puts in Baer to see how he plays with Bo. Let Loui sit for eff sakes.

Push someone else down to the 4th line.

Edit: wtf did I even type? lol

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Hopefully after the Canucks game away a game last night against a bad team, Green puts in Baer to see how he plays with Bo. Let Loui sit for eff sakes.

I agree Kfan.  It's long over due for Bo to have at least one winger that is a top 6 player who also has playmaking skills.  Pearson is very much like Jake; N/S skating hard toward the goal and gets a shot off...hitting the goalies' logo:frantic:  Before people start going on about Jake, yeah...I do agree he has been making some improvement, yada yada.

Moving forward, neither Baer or Tanner are in the Canucks future (even as a bottom 6 guy, Leivo is better along the boards/in the corners and more aggressive than Pearson).  I know Benning has a couple of years (or more) before a prospect is able to join Bo on the 2nd line, but I REALLY hope he can find a better interim solution for the 2nd line until that happens.

Right now, I will cheer hard for Baer...it's a good thing for everyone if he can improve the team's 2nd line.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I miss motte he is legit an amazing fourth liner. His engine is great

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Quietly in 38 games, Tanner has 24 points and providing some really good offense while playing a defensive role with Bo.

Tonight he absolutely LEVELED Drasaitl into the boards, last game when Holden took out Leivo in a cheapshot he jumped to his defense, and in the game against Montreal he took liberties on Ben Chairot.

He is playing a heavy heavy game, which bolds well for us if we find a way into the playoffs.  He brings that LA Kings attitude, of simply out working and out muscling you in all 3 zones.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Quietly in 38 games, Tanner has 24 points and providing some really good offense while playing a defensive role with Bo.

Tonight he absolutely LEVELED Drasaitl into the boards, last game when Holden took out Leivo in a cheapshot he jumped to his defense, and in the game against Montreal he took liberties on Ben Chairot.

He is playing a heavy heavy game, which bolds well for us if we find a way into the playoffs.  He brings that LA Kings attitude, of simply out working and out muscling you in all 3 zones.

"Quietly" is such a great description. Pearson is the type of player you have to watch with a wide angle lens. He makes so many subtle plays that are often missed. He is the type of player that you have to have for CUP play. He generally rises to the occasion in big games. IMO Leivo was learning a lot from Pearson. 

8 hours ago, kloubek said:

Yeah - that's on pace for 51 points. 

Amazing to see a career year out of him so deep into his career.

Even more amazing to remember we got rid of Gusbranson and his contract at the same time. Benning did well to make up for his mistake.

Why was it a mistake? Cuz of hindsight?

It was not a mistake. JB went out and got that tough big D he wanted. Unfortunately it did not work out.  But it wasn't a mistake.

23 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

It was not a mistake. JB went out and got that tough big D he wanted. Unfortunately it did not work out.  But it wasn't a mistake.

I can't speak for everyone, but I know I recall many including myself feeling the price we paid for Gudbranson was a bit steep. Obviously, it got even worse when he wasn't what he hoped he would be.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

So... in your world then, any time you take a big chance on something and it doesn't work out it is simply fate? Ignorance is bliss, I suppose. 

When the trade was made, I (and many) hated it from the beginning. Gudbranson's metrics were bad already. No, Benning couldn't have known for sure Gudbranson would get even worse, but the trade was a huge gamble from the get go that Benning lost. 

Then he doubled up on that loss by re-signing him for 3 years at a ridiculous salary. Mistake #2.

If I am playing poker and go all in with a low pair when others are showing strong hands, that is a mistake. Sure, I might end up winning but when the odds are against you, that isn't a bet you should make. Benning made that bet. He lost.

That's called a mistake in my books.

In the 57 games with Vancouver since we've acquired him, Pearson has 18 goals and 12 assists for 36 points overall. 

This year he is tied with Gaudette for most PP points on 2nd unit with 7 PP points. Pearson is also 1st on the team with 3 short handed points, two of which are goals.

Talk about versatility. Taking advantage of every situation he is placed in. Always plays hard. He could possibly have a career year which would be huge.

The teams unsung hero so far is definitely Pearson. The dude doesn't get any recognition despite the fact that he's been our best winger outside the lotto line.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I don't know. I don't want to discredit how good Pearson has been.

Been great ever since we've got him

True, Pearson is playing great.  However, Bo creates a lot of space.  He’s a big boy, who drives defenders back.

They are good together, that’s for sure.

On 12/24/2019 at 11:39 PM, kloubek said:

So... in your world then, any time you take a big chance on something and it doesn't work out it is simply fate? Ignorance is bliss, I suppose. 

When the trade was made, I (and many) hated it from the beginning. Gudbranson's metrics were bad already. No, Benning couldn't have known for sure Gudbranson would get even worse, but the trade was a huge gamble from the get go that Benning lost. 

Then he doubled up on that loss by re-signing him for 3 years at a ridiculous salary. Mistake #2.

If I am playing poker and go all in with a low pair when others are showing strong hands, that is a mistake. Sure, I might end up winning but when the odds are against you, that isn't a bet you should make. Benning made that bet. He lost.

That's called a mistake in my books.

The sign of a good GM is to know when to cut your losses and try something new.  The price we paid for Gudbranson was a bit high, but Benning felt he added an element we didn't have so he made the trade and took the risk.  Guddy unfortunately got worse playing for us not better even though he was still young enough to grow his game.  Nobody knows for sure what happened, most likely his injuries are worse than we know and he can't play the game he used to play.

In any event Benning saw what was happening and flipped him for Pearson, who has been a solid contributor for us, even moreso than McCann is for Pittsburgh.  Pearson is currently playing at a top 6 forward level and playing in all situations.  So it was a great trade for Benning.  Benning may have overpaid for Gudbranson to begin with but made up for it in the second deal.  That's how a good GM does business.  Not even Scotty Bowman won every trade.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1