The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tanner Pearson | #70 | LW

-Vintage Canuck-

Wonder what we could get for Pearson in a trade?

28 years old. One year left on his deal. Coming off a career year in scoring and scoring rate (per game). Doubt his value will ever be higher. And I doubt we can afford to re-sign him when his deal is up. Plus, hopefully he’ll be replaced in the depth chart by one of our developing players.

Seems like the ideal time to made a trade. 

Re-sign Leivo as a very cheap replacement/stopgap.

And hopefully between Höglander, Podkolzin, Lind, McDonough, etc, we’ll be overflowing with winger options anyway in the coming years.

I like Pearson, but trading him now just makes too much sense to me. I’d expect we’d net a very solid return. Plus the cap space it would free up for our current needs.

EDIT: also Roussel (assuming he’s not moved—and he wouldn’t return nearly as much as Pearson anyway) is a an option for that 2LW spot. He’s not at Pearson’s level offensively, but Rous has shown some chemistry with Horvat in the past, and he also has shown a knack for fitting in with skilled players during his career. Plenty of pop on that line if Toffoli or Boeser plays right wing, and then just slot in Rous or Leivo on LW as a placeholder until one of the prospects forces his way into the top-six

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typos
  • Cheers 3

• 2 months later...
On 9/8/2020 at 12:19 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Wonder what we could get for Pearson in a trade?

28 years old. One year left on his deal. Coming off a career year in scoring and scoring rate (per game). Doubt his value will ever be higher. And I doubt we can afford to re-sign him when his deal is up. Plus, hopefully he’ll be replaced in the depth chart by one of our developing players.

Seems like the ideal time to made a trade. 

Re-sign Leivo as a very cheap replacement/stopgap.

And hopefully between Höglander, Podkolzin, Lind, McDonough, etc, we’ll be overflowing with winger options anyway in the coming years.

I like Pearson, but trading him now just makes too much sense to me. I’d expect we’d net a very solid return. Plus the cap space it would free up for our current needs.

EDIT: also Roussel (assuming he’s not moved—and he wouldn’t return nearly as much as Pearson anyway) is a an option for that 2LW spot. He’s not at Pearson’s level offensively, but Rous has shown some chemistry with Horvat in the past, and he also has shown a knack for fitting in with skilled players during his career. Plenty of pop on that line if Toffoli or Boeser plays right wing, and then just slot in Rous or Leivo on LW as a placeholder until one of the prospects forces his way into the top-six

I suspect you're on the right track in considering a return for Pearson in a trade with high potential winger prospects coming in soon.  I think his trade value will be hurt a bit by his previous decline, but his play over the last 1 1/2 seasons has been solid so I could see him being an intriguing option as a rental for a team if the Canucks are out of a playoff spot.  Depending on what's going on with Baertschi, a Pearson trade might also allow the Canucks to bring him up and showcase him for a potential trade.

If the Canucks are in a playoff position at the next deadline, then they might opt to just keep him instead of acquiring a rental while also giving guys like Hoglander and possibly Podkolzin some playing time.

• 3 months later...
17 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I know we likely want a pick/asset in return, but I am not opposed to just resigning Pearson. 

He has shown he can fit with our group and plays a lot of roles for this team. Obviously would have to come at a discounted team friendly deal, but I'm okay with resigning him.

Pearson will likely come cheaper than any alternative in free agency and we don’t need to be giving up assets for another project.

The question might now be whether or not Pearson wants to re-sign. He’s still in his prime and might want to go for another cup somewhere else if he doesn’t see us becoming contenders any time soon.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Pearson will likely come cheaper than any alternative in free agency and we don’t need to be giving up assets for another project.

The question might now be whether or not Pearson wants to re-sign. He’s still in his prime and might want to go for another cup somewhere else if he doesn’t see us becoming contenders any time soon.

I think a lot of it also comes down to chemistry he has built on this team.

From an individual standpoint he has formed a strong friendship with Bo Horvat...seeing their social media accounts they spend a lot of time together (prior to the pandemic rules) and they reference one another since they are both in the same stages of life as early fathers. He has a nailed down role with the team and likes it here as he alluded to wanting to stay as long as "they don't run out of time" lol.

From a team standpoint, he seems to be also be a vocal leader from the mic'd up videos. I don't think this team can afford to lose another proven winner and proven player from this roster. It can really hurt the morale if we keep subtracting rather than maintaining and sustaining characters.

Perhaps overblown a bit, but losing Marky and Tanev has had a noticeable affect

• Cheers 1

On 2/26/2021 at 12:35 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I think a lot of it also comes down to chemistry he has built on this team.

From an individual standpoint he has formed a strong friendship with Bo Horvat...seeing their social media accounts they spend a lot of time together (prior to the pandemic rules) and they reference one another since they are both in the same stages of life as early fathers. He has a nailed down role with the team and likes it here as he alluded to wanting to stay as long as "they don't run out of time" lol.

From a team standpoint, he seems to be also be a vocal leader from the mic'd up videos. I don't think this team can afford to lose another proven winner and proven player from this roster. It can really hurt the morale if we keep subtracting rather than maintaining and sustaining characters.

Perhaps overblown a bit, but losing Marky and Tanev has had a noticeable affect

A positive that is coming from this is new younger leaders are being forced to step up is good.  You have to cut the cord at some point and this shortened season is a great time to do that.  If we don't make the play-offs but the young core starts to take the reigns leadership wise, I think we become a better team in the long run.  We then get the benefit of a top 15 pick for one last time as we will not be picking in the top 15 for a long time to come. B) 

• 2 weeks later...

Vancouver Canucks and Tanner Pearson to talk soon

TSN: Darren Dreger said that Vancouver Canucks GM Jim Benning is going to be talking with Tanner Pearson’s agent Joe Resnick soon on a potential contract extension.

Tanner Pearson earns $3.75 million. This is the final year of his contract, so do the Vancouver Canucks have the wherewithal to meet that or go above $3.75 million? Again, discussions about to get going and then it’s up to the Canucks to decide what happens with Pearson after that.”

More than $3.75 -no thanks.

35 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Vancouver Canucks and Tanner Pearson to talk soon

TSN: Darren Dreger said that Vancouver Canucks GM Jim Benning is going to be talking with Tanner Pearson’s agent Joe Resnick soon on a potential contract extension.

Tanner Pearson earns $3.75 million. This is the final year of his contract, so do the Vancouver Canucks have the wherewithal to meet that or go above $3.75 million? Again, discussions about to get going and then it’s up to the Canucks to decide what happens with Pearson after that.”

More than $3.75 -no thanks.

Sign him if he can’t be moved by the TDL at less than current rate. Move him before the ED. He is a good teammate but a 3rd line option not a top 6. 

Pearson's play has fallen off significantly this year and I have a feeling he won't get back to the top 6 level he used to be at. If we re-sign him, I really hope it's based on this year, not prior years. He shouldn't get even close to $3.75M in his next deal IMO.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Pearson's play has fallen off significantly this year and I have a feeling he won't get back to the top 6 level he used to be at. If we re-sign him, I really hope it's based on this year, not prior years. He shouldn't get even close to $3.75M in his next deal IMO.

Maybe it'll allow us to resign him for cheaper and then he has a bounce back year next year when it matters more anyway. ;)

• Cheers 1

I'd give him Baertschi's money for 2-3 years tops. He provides good LW depth and if we're gonna run 3 centers with Petey-Bo-Miller then he will be a nice complement to Boeser, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Virtanen, Gaudette, Lind, (Vesey)

Podkolzin - Petey - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Hoglander
Vesey - Miller - Virtanen

(Motte, Lind, Jasek, etc)