The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tanner Pearson | #70 | LW

-Vintage Canuck-

On 3/16/2019 at 9:42 PM, Alflives said:

I wonder if Gaunce is on our team next year?  I think he’s better than Loui.  I expect Pearson will be here too.  I’d like it if we could move Pearson for picks though

I'll take Gaunce over Loui anyday even if its just salary purposes. Ericsson doesn't bring $5million worth more than Gaunce. I'd stick with Pearson though, if he ever regains his form like in LA, just a solid 20 goal guy with size, Im fine with him being on the team

On 3/17/2019 at 7:51 AM, rekker said:

Gillis and that damn Mallett pick. Could of had Severson. Ugh. 

Mallet wasn't even in ANY of the other teams draft boards. Absolutely way out of left field pick by that dumbass Mike Gillis. He tried to reinvent the wheel with his drafting prowess

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Mallet wasn't even in ANY of the other teams draft boards. Absolutely way out of left field pick by that dumbass Mike Gillis. He tried to reinvent the wheel with his drafting prowess

It was a brutal, brutal, pick. 

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, smokes said:

Tanner Pearson is now my favorite player Benning ever aquired through a trade.

I wouldnt say its my favorite, but the fact we got rid of that craphole Gudbranson was a massive achievement on its own. I was just expecting a puck, not even a bag of pucks, for Gudbranson and we got an NHLer that still has some youth and upside

8 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

I wouldnt say its my favorite, but the fact we got rid of that craphole Gudbranson was a massive achievement on its own. I was just expecting a puck, not even a bag of pucks, for Gudbranson and we got an NHLer that still has some youth and upside

Pearson is a good versitaile player that can be trusted on the ice plus Stanley Cup rings, Benning pulled a great trade on this one when no one thought he could get anything for Guddy. 

If Pearson can be the 0.5 point-per-game guy he was in LA last year and prior, that could be huge for us, as it means we have a potential 2nd line forward. On top of that, if Baertschi recovers for next year, our top 6 all of a sudden looks pretty respectable.

• Cheers 2

Pearson is an above average NHL forward that can play in anywhere in the top 9 and has the wheels to be effective for a long while.   Not quite the talent set of Baer but has more grit so perhaps they are a good comparable.    Either could play in top 6 on any team in NHL and both can be effective players for the Canucks for a some time if that is how the cards end up playing out.

• Cheers 1

On 3/21/2019 at 11:22 AM, aGENT said:

A healthy Baer? If not, perhaps we make a pitch at a guy like Dzingel?

I missed the line combinations but does this even work?  Both guys are left wingers.  So is Dzingel.

I kinda like Pearson's game and feel he is a good fit for Horvat.  Both can play a scoring role as well as play a solid 200ft game. If he can find his .5ppg game again (almost has the time he has been here with unfamiliar linemates) then I can see a place for him here.

I do agree they could use a speedy playmaking RW to accompany them, though I would prefer size over small.  I think that line could be difficult to contain and along with the Pettersson Boeser line would be hard for the opposition to provide full coverage on both.

Perhaps a Pearson Horvat Leivo line could find chemistry...

Edited by kloubek

On 3/24/2019 at 11:55 AM, -AJ- said:

If Pearson can be the 0.5 point-per-game guy he was in LA last year and prior, that could be huge for us, as it means we have a potential 2nd line forward. On top of that, if Baertschi recovers for next year, our top 6 all of a sudden looks pretty respectable.

Pearson looks like a beaut I'd really like to see a 3rd line of Pearson Gaudette Virtanen next year, he seems like a good mentor. Has some grit speed and a splash of flash knows what it takes to win.

I hope Sutter can be moved for a 3rd and a c+ prospect. Loui after his bonus is paid could be moved for a paltry return to make room for some new blood. Gaunce would fit nicely on that Roussel Beagle grind line. 

Edited by hammertime

10 hours ago, kloubek said:

I missed the line combinations but does this even work?  Both guys are left wingers.  So is Dzingel.

I kinda like Pearson's game and feel he is a good fit for Horvat.  Both can play a scoring role as well as play a solid 200ft game. If he can find his .5ppg game again (almost has the time he has been here with unfamiliar linemates) then I can see a place for him here.

I do agree they could use a speedy playmaking RW to accompany them, though I would prefer size over small.  I think that line could be difficult to contain and along with the Pettersson Boeser line would be hard for the opposition to provide full coverage on both.

Perhaps a Pearson Horvat Leivo line could find chemistry...

Wingers are pretty fluid with sides.

Dzingel/Baer, Pettersson, Boeser

Baer/Dzingel, Horvat, Pearson/Leivo

Leivo/Pearson, Gaudette, Virtanen

Roussel, Beagle, Sutter

Motte

Then look to move Sutter (and possibly Baer if we perhaps draft a replacement this summer) as the year goes along.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Then look to move Sutter (and possibly Baer if we perhaps draft a replacement this summer) as the year goes along.

Move Sutter I am on board with - though I wonder if he could have a bounceback year and improve his stock value first.

I actually like Baertschi and feel he has worked on his defense, drive to the net, and overall ability.  I feel he could be a .75ppg guy if he can avoid injury and get in a groove. His concussions are obviously a concern but it would likely be a concern to any takers as well, so I question if we would be better off keeping him instead of a poor return.

Even if we drafted a replacement, we can't likely expect the new guy to be ready to step into a 2nd line role right away.  To me, he's currently our best option unless we feel we can rely on a Pearson resurgence or increased development from Leivo.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

Move Sutter I am on board with - though I wonder if he could have a bounceback year and improve his stock value first.

I actually like Baertschi and feel he has worked on his defense, drive to the net, and overall ability.  I feel he could be a .75ppg guy if he can avoid injury and get in a groove. His concussions are obviously a concern but it would likely be a concern to any takers as well, so I question if we would be better off keeping him instead of a poor return.

Even if we drafted a replacement, we can't likely expect the new guy to be ready to step into a 2nd line role right away.  To me, he's currently our best option unless we feel we can rely on a Pearson resurgence or increased development from Leivo.

I hope both can play some good, healthy games and up their trade value.

Nothing against Baer's play but they can't count on him being/staying healthy. There's opportunity cost to tying up cap, contract and roster space that we can't afford as we move in to a hopeful playoff/contention window. 

Longterm, I think signing a guy like Dzingel would be to replace Baer and then you hope to draft your future 1LW (maybe even this year) that bumps Dzingel down to Horvat's line. That gives you Dzingel and Baer to fill those two top 6 LW spots in the interim/short term (and sizeable upgrade on what we currently have available).

Edited by aGENT

Looks like the Canucks might have legitimately rescued a couple of good players from their incompatibility with their organization; Schenn and Pearson. 

Pearson is on pace for a 43pts season in 17 games with the Canucks. It puts him right back into his career’s average numbers.

Seems to be a great fit with Horvat. That’s good secondary scoring, maybe a career year with the Canucks as all kids grow another year’s experience. 

Good stuff right there.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Specz said:

Good ol' Canadian boy who plays hockey the right way. What's not to love? Keep this man, he's even padding LE's stats.

...and if Eriksson finally clicks with someone?

Damn. Benning. Nice one.

• Haha 1

Pearson has been great since coming over. What a steal by Benning. If he is actually back to his LA form, then that expedites our run to respectability a lot, as it gives us another top 6 forward, which we desperately need. I'd like to see a line of Baertschi, Horvat, and Pearson and have our top line be Boeser, Pettersson, and hopefully either a good FA, a draft lotto pick, or just a stop-gap in probably Leivo or Eriksson in the meantime.

I think Baertschi has chemistry with Bo and would like to see them work that--even if it worsens the Boeser & EP line, I think it'll improve the Horvat and Pearson line by more.

9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Pearson has been great since coming over. What a steal by Benning. If he is actually back to his LA form, then that expedites our run to respectability a lot, as it gives us another top 6 forward, which we desperately need. I'd like to see a line of Baertschi, Horvat, and Pearson and have our top line be Boeser, Pettersson, and hopefully either a good FA, a draft lotto pick, or just a stop-gap in probably Leivo or Eriksson in the meantime.

I think Baertschi has chemistry with Bo and would like to see them work that--even if it worsens the Boeser & EP line, I think it'll improve the Horvat and Pearson line by more.

Arent baer and pearson both lwers?