The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tanner Pearson | #70 | LW

-Vintage Canuck-

31 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Arent baer and pearson both lwers?

You might be right there. I don't pay much attention to RW vs LW these days and probably assume more fluidity within those two roles than I should.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

You might be right there. I don't pay much attention to RW vs LW these days and probably assume more fluidity within those two roles than I should.

I wish the canucks were more lenient on this. But we're pretty strict with lefts playing the left and rights playingthe right. 

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

I wish the canucks were more lenient on this. But we're pretty strict with lefts playing the left and rights playingthe right. 

I mean generally, you want to put the guy on the side he's most comfortable or 'natural' on. But Granlund, Leivo, Goldobin, Eriksson off the top of my head, have all spent time on their 'off' wing this year. Heck, Motte's listed as a L shooting C and has played predominantly RW IIRC.

I'm sure some guys adapt to it more readily than others too. So there's no hard and fast rule, but sometimes you just play where you're needed.

Edited by aGENT

32 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I mean generally, you want to put the guy on the side he's most comfortable or 'natural' on. But Granlund, Leivo, Goldobin, Eriksson off the top of my head, have all spent time on their 'off' wing this year. Heck, Motte's listed as a L shooting C and has played predominantly RW IIRC.

I'm sure some guys adapt to it more readily than others too. So there's no hard and fast rule, but sometimes you just play where you're needed.

Everyone but Virtanen for some odd reason, who seems to play significantly better on his off wing (left), played his whole junior career on his off wing, but as soon as he put on a Canucks jersey hes been stapled to the right side

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I wish they would let jake play lw

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

29 minutes ago, Kushman said:

Everyone but Virtanen for some odd reason, who seems to play significantly better on his off wing (left), played his whole junior career on his off wing, but as soon as he put on a Canucks jersey hes been stapled to the right side

I believe that is a bit of an urban legend. IIRC, he played almost exclusively RW in Junior and utilized a neutral zone crossover a lot, when available, to come in to the offensive end on his 'off' wing.

Same things he's encouraged to do here.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Kushman said:

8 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I believe that is a bit of an urban legend. IIRC, he played almost exclusively RW in Junior and utilized a neutral zone crossover a lot when available to come in to the offensive end on his 'off' wing.

Same things he's encouraged to do here.

One of our Calgary CDCers posted that JV was always ( except for one game ) listed as a right wing on the Hitmen roster !

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Kushman said:

Calgary announce the sides when they list starters.  They had Virtanen predominantly on right wing.  Someone on HF compiled all the lineups in his draft+1 - he was on right wing every game save for once.  No idea for his draft year though.  For Benning he is a right wing - he explained that trading Kassian who is a right wing to bring in Prust who is a left wing opened up a spot at right wing for Virtanen.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Liking Tanner Pearson a lot.  Reminds me of a healthy Chris Higgins. 

This strikes me as a really good comparison actually. Plays hard and can put up 40-50 points, just like Higgins.

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

This strikes me as a really good comparison actually. Plays hard and can put up 40-50 points, just like Higgins.

I agree, the comparison is quite striking. Both are above average skaters, not excellent but very good at a lot of things on the ice. Higgins might be a tad better on the boards but Tanner's got better finish. Great trade for the Canucks, can't wait to see what Pearson's got for an encore next season. Im predicting a very quiet 25 goal season

Pearson is a stud.  Our best left winger.  Play him with BO full time next year and he can hit 30 goals.  Thank you Jim Benning.

Now let's win the lottery so we can put Jack Hughes on the right side of BO and Pearson.  What a line that would be.  Fingers crossed for next Tuesday...  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Tanner Pearson into 302nd in all-time Canuck scoring with his goal tonight.

301.  Larry Carriere D 56 1 12 13
302.  Tanner Pearson LW 19 9 3 12
303.  Reid Boucher LW 48 8 4 12
304.  Emerson Etem RW 39 7 5 12
305.  Andrew Ebbett C 46 6 6 12
306.  Michael Peca C 37 6 6 12
307.  Adam Gaudette C 61 5 7 12
308.  Ronalds Kenins LW 38 4 8 12

Pearson certainly looks to work well with Bo.  One of the seemingly better acquisitions of late.  Hopefully he keeps it up since it has been a pretty small sample size.

Even at 45 points or so, he is still behind in talent from Horvat.  I would really like to see them play with a guy with more talent to round out the line.

On 4/6/2019 at 7:22 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Looks like this could be Jim Benning's best trade yet.  A potential 30 goal scorer power forward who can play with BO.  What's not to like?  

C'mon hockey Gods, give us Jack Hughes to complete this line...

a cautionary tale

Pearson 19 games- 12 points

Leipsic 14 games - 9 points

• Haha 1