The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tanner Pearson | #70 | LW

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Leipsic has scored 13 goals in his entire NHL career.  He is a borderline NHL player.  Pearson was a first round pick, played on a top line in LA scoring 25 goals and won a Stanley Cup.  The two players aren't even in the same stratosphere...

I much prefer Pearson over Leipsic, but you are cherry picking with the draft history. Pearson was not drafted his first eligible year. Not his 2nd year either. Drafted at 20 yrs. If Leipsic had gone undrafted, his 120 points for Portland in his D+1 year may well have made him a #1 round pick !

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Leipsic has scored 13 goals in his entire NHL career.  He is a borderline NHL player.  Pearson was a first round pick, played on a top line in LA scoring 25 goals and won a Stanley Cup.  The two players aren't even in the same stratosphere...

I know that.

But Pearson and Leipsic before him were not the first players annointed "Savior" after a short scoring streak.

Remember the Brabarian 

27 minutes ago, lmm said:

I know that.

But Pearson and Leipsic before him were not the first players annointed "Savior" after a short scoring streak.

Remember the Brabarian 

Haha Who can forget those epic 4 games of Jeff Cowan!!

However, again those players aren't in the same stratosphere as Cowan was basically a plug his whole career expect for those 4 games...

49 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

I much prefer Pearson over Leipsic, but you are cherry picking with the draft history. Pearson was not drafted his first eligible year. Not his 2nd year either. Drafted at 20 yrs. If Leipsic had gone undrafted, his 120 points for Portland in his D+1 year may well have made him a #1 round pick !

Well ok so Leipsic gets picked in the first round.  Still doesn't change the fact that he's a borderline NHL player at this point regardless of his NHL draft history while Pearson has been a 25 goal scorer playing on a top line that won the Stanley Cup and has a multi-million contract to go with it.  He looks like a prototypical power forward in today's game who's willing to hit, go to the front of the net and get the dirty goals.  The complete opposite of Leipsic which is why I feel he will succeed playing with BO...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, lmm said:

a cautionary tale

Pearson 19 games- 12 points

Leipsic 14 games - 9 points

Pearson projects to be +36pts in his 5 seasons in the NHL.  Points aside, he has a better physical game and appears to have great chemistry with Bo.  Tanner has played +79 games in his past 3 seasons.

Leips takes a lot of flack around here, but he does put up some decent numbers, but just hasn't been consistent enough to play a full season as of yet.

6 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

the quality in the players at the NHL level is night and day.  pearson has strong board play and his NHL experience shows big time.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rekker said:

Nice finish to the year for Pearson. Bo and Tanner have to be pumped about the chemistry they have going into next year. Two Ontario boys doing well. 

I agree with Rekker^

1 hour ago, samurai said:

When you watch Pearson play you can see that he is a very structured and confident NHL player - 2 cups will do that to you.  Our top 6 got stronger with him - zero doubt about that.  He seems very happy to be here as well.   We added Leivo and Pearson this year for negligible pieces - that is amazing.

Pearson won 1 Cup, Brad Richardson won in 2012, Guber was not a negligible peice, he is a piece the Canucks bought high and sold low on.

Pearson's best year on the score bosrd the Kings missed the playoffs 

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Haha Who can forget those epic 4 games of Jeff Cowan!!

However, again those players aren't in the same stratosphere as Cowan was basically a plug his whole career expect for those 4 games...

I did not bring up Leipsic and Cowan to compare their careers, I brought them up to compare fan euphoria regarding players past and present.

I have been here long enough to remember the same euphoria over Dan Rahimi and Taylor Ellington being touted as "top 4  for the next decade".

You can't even compare those guys career to Jeff Cowan's.

I hope Pearson finds his groove in Vancouver, I hope he and Bo have a long a successful career as linemates, but lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

Why do I like Rekker's comment? because it is possitive without being over the top.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, lmm said:

I agree with Rekker^

Pearson won 1 Cup, Brad Richardson won in 2012, Guber was not a negligible peice, he is a piece the Canucks bought high and sold low on.

I did not bring up Leipsic and Cowan to compare their careers, I brought them up to compare fan euphoria regarding players past and present.

I have been here long enough to remember the same euphoria over Dan Rahimi and Taylor Ellington being touted as "top 4  for the next decade".

I hope Pearson finds his groove in Vancouver, I hope he and Bo have a long a successful career as linemates, but lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

Why do I like Rekker's comment? because it is possitive without being over the top.

I remember Jason Herter.  How about Alex Stojanov and Shawn Antoski.  Or Dan Woodley.  My all time favourite 1st round draft pick though was Libor Polasek.  He was the big centre we were always dreaming about...  :)

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, lmm said:

I agree with Rekker^

I haven't seen any euphoria for Pearson that is over the top.  He has come in and played very well.   That is an obvious statement of fact.   

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I remember Jason Herter.  How about Alex Stojanov and Shawn Antoski.  Or Dan Woodley.  My all time favourite 1st round draft pick though was Libor Polasek.  He was the big centre we were always dreaming about...  :)

Jeebus...what a bust. lol

37 minutes ago, samurai said:

I haven't seen any euphoria for Pearson that is over the top.  He has come in and played very well.   That is an obvious statement of fact.   

I think his case would be against any that assume Pearson is a bonafide top 6 forward based off these 19 games. While he has looked like a top 6 forward for most of the 19 games he's played, I think it would be a jump to assume he'll be there next year based on such a small sample. However, I also think it would be unrealistic to assume that there's no world in which Pearson is actually a 2nd line player next year with 40-50 points. I'm personally leaning towards about 40 points or so, but he obviously has a history of going cold, so who knows.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, samurai said:

I crunched a few numbers for you as an example of why a larger sample size is needed.

Pearson played 19 games for the Canucks

17 for the Kings and 44 for the Pens

he scored 27 pts in 80 games

Pearson's average points / 82 games was 5/82 in LA, 26/82 in Pitts and 53/82 in Van

HIs time in Pittsburg was equal to his season average while LA drove his average down and Van drove it up.

Bo on the other hand scored 61/82 pt/gm

but in the 19 games with Pearson his average dropped to 56/82

Quality of competition

11/19 games were against playoff teams

in those 11 games Pearson scored 5 pts

Bo scored 3/11

in the other 8 games against non-playoff teams

Pearson scored 7/8

Bo 10/8

They feasted on Ottawa, Arizona, NJD and NYR, especially Ottawa

But Pearson scored 5points against playoff teams, thats pretty good!  

The Streak

Pearson scored 5 points in his final 3 games, 5pts on the final 8 Canuck goals 

against, you guessed it SJ, Nash, StL, playoff teams!

All 5 of Pearson's pts against playoff teams came in the last 3 games of the season.

and 3 of those points came on the PP when Bo was not on the ice, the other 2 were goals assisted by Bo and Loui

In the other 8 games against Playoff teams Pearson 0 pts Bo 1pt.

If we remove those final 3 games from Pearson's statline, he scored at a rate of 36/82 over his 19 games in Van, if we include those games 53/82 

If we assume that it took Tanner Pearson 16 games to find his stride, and the final 3 are the rate he will score next year, he is on pace to score 109 goals and 136 points!

If we only look at those final 3 games, BEST TRADE EVER!!!

anyway this is just me playing with numbers, because I am too lazy to learn corsi or zone starts

I don't think any of this could be construed as an obvious statement of fact

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, lmm said:

I crunched a few numbers for you as an example of why a larger sample size is needed.

Pearson played 19 games for the Canucks

17 for the Kings and 44 for the Pens

he scored 27 pts in 80 games

Pearson's average points / 82 games was 5/82 in LA, 26/82 in Pitts and 53/82 in Van

HIs time in Pittsburg was equal to his season average while LA drove his average down and Van drove it up.

Bo on the other hand scored 61/82 pt/gm

but in the 19 games with Pearson his average dropped to 56/82

Quality of competition

11/19 games were against playoff teams

in those 11 games Pearson scored 5 pts

Bo scored 3/11

in the other 8 games against non-playoff teams

Pearson scored 7/8

Bo 10/8

They feasted on Ottawa, Arizona, NJD and NYR, especially Ottawa

But Pearson scored 5points against playoff teams, thats pretty good!  

The Streak

Pearson scored 5 points in his final 3 games, 5pts on the final 8 Canuck goals 

against, you guessed it SJ, Nash, StL, playoff teams!

All 5 of Pearson's pts against playoff teams came in the last 3 games of the season.

and 3 of those points came on the PP when Bo was not on the ice, the other 2 were goals assisted by Bo and Loui

In the other 8 games against Playoff teams Pearson 0 pts Bo 1pt.

If we remove those final 3 games from Pearson's statline, he scored at a rate of 36/82 over his 19 games in Van, if we include those games 53/82 

If we assume that it took Tanner Pearson 16 games to find his stride, and the final 3 are the rate he will score next year, he is on pace to score 109 goals and 136 points!

If we only look at those final 3 games, BEST TRADE EVER!!!

anyway this is just me playing with numbers, because I am too lazy to learn corsi or zone starts

I don't think any of this could be construed as an obvious statement of fact

Outside of a few extremes posters, i think most fans recognize that Pearson is a guy that can probably give you 20 goals a year and that he plays a good structured game.  Nucks as I am sure you know have deficiencies on the wings, so for him to come in do well is something to be happy about for this club.

On a team lacking both size and top 6 W'ers, he came in and produced while appearing to have chemistry with Horvat.

I don't think anyone is assuming he's our Mark Stone but 20+ goals and 40-50 points with solid board and corner work seems pretty reasonable. That's something to be excited about IMO.

• Like 1

Not sure what the small sample size nonsense is all about. He seems to have good chemistry with Bo, so that increased his production here. But this season he started off with a slump, then, in a total of 80 games scored a total of 18 goals, which happens to be exactly the same (in both games played and goals, with a slump in assists) as his NHL average for last year, the year before and the year before that.

He is 26 years old. He has demonstrated that he is still as productive as he was when he was 25 and 24 and 23, and can do better with a good centre. That is really not at all realistic to compare to a player (Leipsic) whose entire NHL resume still does not include as many goals as Pearson averages every year.

Edited by WeneedLumme

Really like his game and size.  Decent hands and plays a simple game that matches well with Horvat.  If they could find a playmaking RW for these two it would be a nice second line.  Nothing fancy just solid.  Decent speed but maybe he can train with a skating coach over the summer couldn't hurt ala Boeser and Bo.  I personally think the Canucks need to add 2 top six wingers to take the next step.

? - Pete - Boesser

Pearson - Horvat - ?

Roussel - Gaudette - Leivo

Motte - Beagle - Virtanen

• Upvote 1