The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why does Canucks offense suck?

Nuke

1 hour ago, 250Integra said:

Injuries might have a factor in that? maybe?

it's absolutely mind boggling how trolls completely overlook this.  The last two seasons, and now this one, are complete write offs and cannot be used as a measuring stick for where this team is. 

Maybe the worst thing for parts of this fanbase is the fact that the Canucks significantly overachieved given what was expected for them this year.  Now that they're pooping out a bit down the stretch people are freaking out as if they weren't supposed to be a team that was going to struggle this year.  

IMHO, and this is going off topic a bit... this year has been a big success.  The team stayed competitive into (basically) March (they're still not out of it), A few of the young guys have really shone (Petterson, Horvat, Hutton, Stetcher, Guadette etc) and Marky has been stellar.  The future is bright as long as a couple of our D prospects pan out.

6 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Maybe the worst thing for parts of this fanbase is the fact that the Canucks significantly overachieved given what was expected for them this year.  Now that they're pooping out a bit down the stretch people are freaking out as if they weren't supposed to be a team that was going to struggle this year.  

IMHO, and this is going off topic a bit... this year has been a big success.  The team stayed competitive into (basically) March (they're still not out of it), A few of the young guys have really shone (Petterson, Horvat, Hutton, Stetcher, Guadette etc) and Marky has been stellar.  The future is bright as long as a couple of our D prospects pan out.

that's my stance too.  For me, the fact that they made the transition to living or dying on the backs of the young core and didn't slide backwards is a huge, huge win for this org.

After watching the game last night, it was clear to me:

Our D is simply atrocious at getting pucks to the net and feeding the forwards in transition. Wonder why Biega has been successful in generating offense lately? Because he gets his shot through. 

Edler, Hutton, Tanev all struggle mightily to do this, and it's quite sad to watch to be very honest... 

Another frustrating aspect of our D is none of them can actually shoot the puck. Edler has a decent shot, but we all know he cant hit the net to save his life, nor can he ser up Pettersson or Boeser on the PP. Not trying to bash Edler, but he is the best D we have right now and he unfortunately cant provide the offense we need.

Cant wait for Hughes.

I blame the defense for the lack of offense.  I know it doesn't make any sense, but if the D cannot effectively make tape to tape passes or break out of the zone then it hinders what the forwards can do.  Think back to the last time we played the Sharks, how quickly their D moved the puck, they were relentless. 

1 hour ago, rychicken said:
  • PP
  • lack of puck moving defense
  • cannot gain the offensive zone efficiently
  • slow pace of play in the offensive zone
  • lack of scoring minded forwards
  • injuries have forced coaching decisions on loading the offensive forwards on to one line vs spreading them with other non-offensive minded forwards to try and spread what little wealth they have
  • injuries have caused a more defensive style of play

And I will also add that the defense we have do not have the offensive mind set.

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

What is expected when Beagle, Roussel, Schaller, Sutter are signed to be "core" "mentor" players? They are good and necessary for a cup team and for keeping games close but not really expected to put up 30 goals. Even Eriksson put up 30 goals only twice in his career, both in contract years and when playing with that teams best players.

The team also lost 150 points last year and even with more goals being scored per game in the entire NHL, there was never enough here, AHL skill player's have a hard time because most are small, the bigger AHL players transition much better on average.

Not enough greasy goals and puck possession in the offensive zone.  Earlier in the year when we were scoring more lots of that was off the rush and as the season goes on team defense gets tighter.  This is where we miss the sedins the most in that we aren’t breaking down the other teams in their own end where even later in their career they could.  I see a lot of trying to beat 1 guy 1 on1 and taking a low percentage shot.  The power play seems to be struggling  with feeding our two shooting options which is insane considering we were more efficient last year with just 1 pure shooter on the pp.  pp is way too stationary we need the forwards rotating throughout the zone getting the puck below the goal line more often.  One possible solution would be starting the formation with Brock and petey on the same side of the ice and as the puck movement naturally flows have them get to their sweet spots but after they have broke down the d.  Gaudette could take Jordan’s spot and he and Brock could rotate between the Ovie spot and the play could develop more naturally.

4 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Not enough greasy goals and puck possession in the offensive zone.  Earlier in the year when we were scoring more lots of that was off the rush and as the season goes on team defense gets tighter.  This is where we miss the sedins the most in that we aren’t breaking down the other teams in their own end where even later in their career they could.  I see a lot of trying to beat 1 guy 1 on1 and taking a low percentage shot.  The power play seems to be struggling  with feeding our two shooting options which is insane considering we were more efficient last year with just 1 pure shooter on the pp.  pp is way too stationary we need the forwards rotating throughout the zone getting the puck below the goal line more often.  One possible solution would be starting the formation with Brock and petey on the same side of the ice and as the puck movement naturally flows have them get to their sweet spots but after they have broke down the d.  Gaudette could take Jordan’s spot and he and Brock could rotate between the Ovie spot and the play could develop more naturally.

I would say that is a complete non issue, they are hard forecheckers and are good at maintaining possession once they force a turnover.  Where they aren't good is taking the puck to the net and, most glaring, not hitting the bloody net.  I swear they have more missed nets than actual sots in almost every game..........one of the worst organizations I've seen for missing the net.

26 minutes ago, Nucks94forever said:

After watching the game last night, it was clear to me:

Our D is simply atrocious at getting pucks to the net and feeding the forwards in transition. Wonder why Biega has been successful in generating offense lately? Because he gets his shot through

Edler, Hutton, Tanev all struggle mightily to do this, and it's quite sad to watch to be very honest... 

Another frustrating aspect of our D is none of them can actually shoot the puck. Edler has a decent shot, but we all know he cant hit the net to save his life, nor can he ser up Pettersson or Boeser on the PP. Not trying to bash Edler, but he is the best D we have right now and he unfortunately cant provide the offense we need.

Cant wait for Hughes.

that's not exclusive to the dmen, the fwds couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat

There is a much higher chance to score a goal off the rush than off the cycle or the forecheck.  Entering the zone with possession is key.  The teams with the highest controlled zone entries are mostly the highest scoring teams in the league.  

Only NYI dumps the puck more than the Canucks.

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

I would say that is a complete non issue, they are hard forecheckers and are good at maintaining possession once they force a turnover.  Where they aren't good is taking the puck to the net and, most glaring, not hitting the bloody net.  I swear they have more missed nets than actual sots in almost every game..........one of the worst organizations I've seen for missing the net.

Puck recovery is ok it’s doing something positive with it which I think we both agree with being an area for growth.  Nothing like 2 or 3 10 foot passes to open things up

2 minutes ago, mll said:

There is a much higher chance to score a goal off the rush than off the cycle or the forecheck.  Entering the zone with possession is key.  The teams with the highest controlled zone entries are mostly the highest scoring teams in the league.  

Only NYI dumps the puck more than the Canucks.

NYI are having a pretty solid year.  I'd say dump and chase is more successful, overall, if you have puck hungry personnel.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

NYI are having a pretty solid year.  I'd say dump and chase is more successful, overall, if you have puck hungry personnel.

Agree 

there is almost nobody on the islanders forward group that wouldn’t throw a hit on the forecheck.

Baertschi and Edler being out are pretty big factors. Edler was by a fair margin our best offensive defenseman and Baertschi is a solid top 6 forward that's been out most of the year.

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

They have the lowest goals against in the league after being the worst defensive team last year.  Only 2.30 goals against this year vs 3.57 last season.  They are scoring less though.  They are prioritising defence over offence.  It's a system that works better for grinders.  

1 minute ago, mll said:

They are the stingiest team in the league after being the worst defensive team last year.  Only 2.30 goals against this year vs 3.57 last season.  They are scoring less though.  They are prioritising defence over offence.  It's a system that works better for grinders.  

nevertheless, I think dump and chase is a far more effective strategy, offensively, if you have the speed and the puck hounds to do it.

Archived