The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Japanese Bantam Scouted

Rate this topic

I presume the competition level is Japan is dramatically lower than in North America and some of Europe. I'd love to be proven wrong though and get a new Japanese superstar in the NHL.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, 112 said:

The kid's never going to have an NHL career.

Evidently you’ve never heard of the legendary Taro Tsujimoto.  Even though he was a late round pick, he turned out to be a huge force for the Sabres.  Should’ve been a first ballot HHOFer but anti-Japanese sentiment from the sports writers born in the 40s have refused to vote for him.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taro_Tsujimoto

:P

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 4

Small steps.  

Unlike China, the Japanese actually have disposable income similar to North America and Europe.  They have pretty good sports development programs as evidence by their men and women's soccer teams, their Olympians and especially their baseball.  

Hopefully Japan will develop more players into the CHL, KHL and other feeder leagues.  

• Upvote 2

He looks impressive against subpar competition, but I fear playing against such has and will continue to probably hold back his development. In addition, he is really small, even by Japanese standards. Certainly has the puck skills though. Little bit concerning all the skating with his head down, he will get lit up in a Canadian league playing like that.

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

This doesn't impress me whatsoever.   Alexis Lafreniere posting up a point-per-game as a 15yo in the CHL does though.

November birthday, so technically most of the season was as a 16 year old. Very promising player none the less. 

He has practiced with the Langley Rivermen of the BCHL and has been personally trained by Pavel Barber who is a renowned skills coach. He is small at 5'2 but is 15 and can grow. He took part in the USHL phase 1 combine last year so he has spent a lot of time in North America and already knows some English. He's eligible for the 2021 draft and so long as he grows 6 inches in the next 2 years he could get drafted. That's the only thing holding him back. Time will tell if he can actually make the draft board.

Edited by Baer.
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Baer. said:

He has practiced with the Langley Rivermen of the BCHL and has been personally trained by Pavel Barber who is a renowned skills coach. He is small at 5'2 but is 15 and can grow. He took part in the USHL phase 1 combine last year so he has spent a lot of time in North America and already knows some English. He's eligible for the 2021 draft and so long as he grows 6 inches in the next 2 years he could get drafted. That's the only thing holding him back. Time will tell if he can actually make the draft board.

One must wonder why he doesn't just live here.  His family must be well off to do hockey in Japan, so just have him live here and try to develop him in Canada.

what stood out to me most

is how poor all the other players were at playing basic defence

he was just able to stick handle and skate around others

not sure why he impresses anyone really

his speed and skating ability seem ok

he can stick handle like a decent player

but nothing really stands out

just the other players are pretty lousy at d

3 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Hey, can I have the winning number for the next 649 draw since you must have been able to foresee the future.

Maybe stop borrowing phrases if you can't pay the world back with an original thought from time to time.

• Upvote 1